Laxatives?

Options
I have a friend, yes a real friend, not me, who takes laxatives before/after she eats. She said it stops her body from absorbing the fat from the food. She swears she has lost weight from it, but it can't be healthy. Considering she does this on a daily basis, isn't it dangerous?!

Replies

• tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Is it dangerous, you ask? Ummm...yes. It's called Bulimia.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    YES. Laxatives, when abused, are incredibly dangerous and can do permanent damage to your body.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I had a friend do this too, it's not the fat, its just the food runs through and you don't digest as much of it. It can be dangerous and long term can make it difficult for you to be "regular" without taking something.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Is it dangerous, you ask? Ummm...yes. It's called Bulimia.

^^^^ this
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Your body can get hooked on the laxitives, and you'll never be able to go without them. So taking one at every meal is NOT a good thing! If you're looking to block fat, try Alli. At least that is what it's designed for (blocking fat, not as a laxative, lol).
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    tell her to see a doctor before making any medical decisions. that cant be healthy. tell her to have the doctor explain the dangers. this could be an eating disorder...
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Laxatives – Laxatives are the most common product used by those with the eating disorder bulimia. Misuse of these products can cause dehydration, an imbalance of electrolytes, bowel problems, pain and nausea in the stomach, and in the worst cases, death.

Encourage your friend to get professional help. It sounds like she has a serious problem. And don't start doing this yourself. Your life and health are too valuable.
  • mikeschierenberg
    Options
    Yes its bad because the body is not absorbing the vitamens and minerals it requires. She will lose weight, mainly muscle-mass, then when she stops the laxatives she'll gain even more weight back.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Also, her body will still absorb the fat. If she wants something that prevents the body from absorbing fat, she can try Alli. But the side effects of that are even less pleasant. :P
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    A little Metamucil is fine, but that is extreme
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Please encourage your friend to get help. Yes that is a form of bulimic behavior. Laxatives prevent the body from absorbing the fat in the food... they also prevent the body from absorbing THE FOOD in the food.

Please say something to her! This is life-threatening.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I have a friend, yes a real friend, not me, who takes laxatives before/after she eats. She said it stops her body from absorbing the fat from the food. She swears she has lost weight from it, but it can't be healthy. Considering she does this on a daily basis, isn't it dangerous?!

Yes. It's a form of bulimia.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Tell her she could loose control of her movements

Not pretty or pleasant
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Is her name Rita, by chance?
  • branflake6
    branflake6 Posts: 115
    Options
    you can lose weight from it. And it is bad for you. It is the same thing as bullemia. She is not only ridding herself of the fat she eats but every other nutrient she is taking in as well.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    That sounds incredibly unhealthy! It also sounds very uncomfortable. I'd rather exercise my butt off than spend that much time on the toilet.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It is a form of purging in the opposite direction from the mouth. So, yes, it is bulimia. Soon, she'll never be able to shit on her own.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    goodness :huh:
    not good. her digestive becomes dependent on it and body doesn't allow her to absorb any nutrients from the food.
    i've read a few articles where there have been cases that pieces of colon have to be removed because they were no longer functioning
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I used to do this. It is not good for you. At all.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I take miralax several times a week..but its NOT a laxative. Its a softener. This friend has a problem. Be a friend and help her now.