What's everyone's opinion about this drink?

Options
alexbusnello
alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
http://store.bluediamond.com/Almond-Breeze-Chocolate_p_11.html

Do you think that the Original (NOT the unsweetened version) would be OK to have? Is that 20 grams of sugar added sugars and should I stay away from this drink?

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I buy the unsweetened one. But that one probably tastes better. :happy:
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    I buy the unsweetened one. But that one probably tastes better. :happy:

I want to buy the unsweetened version but i don't want this rest of this to go to waste. I've drank some of the container and it's amazing. I just want to know if it's a better idea to go with the unsweetened next time.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have the unsweetened kind and did not like it. I then decided to add some agave syrup and it tasted great! I may just stick with that since agave is better than regular sugar. It was 105 cal total.

Not sure how much cal the sweetened kind has.
  • sixela0827
    Options
    use it to bake with??
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    I have the unsweetened kind and did not like it. I then decided to add some agave syrup and it tasted great! I may just stick with that since agave is better than regular sugar. It was 105 cal total.

I ask because I'd like to have a glass but not sure if I should or not. lol

And here is a list of the ingredients it has in it:

http://www.almondbreeze.com/?navid=334&pid=337

You can see it there.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    use it to bake with??

No, I've never used it. This is my first time buying it and I've only maybe had three glasses out of it but haven't had some in a few days. I'm curious as to what people thought.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened (though not chocolate) and it's great for smoothies, in my coffee, with cereal, etc... The only thing I don't like it for is just as a glass of milk. Gotta kick it with my old school 2% milk when I crave a tall glass.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweetened kind when making hot cocoa, it just adds a nice richness. I also use it when mixing protein shakes or smoothies, have used it for baking and oatmeal, pancakes or waffles. I will drink the unsweetened vanilla all by itself but the unsweetened chocolate is better when mixed with something (personal opinion). I bet the regular kind is pretty good but I haven't tried it yet, I'm scared of the 120 calories per cup.
  • sixela0827
    Options
    use it to bake with??

No, I've never used it. This is my first time buying it and I've only maybe had three glasses out of it but haven't had some in a few days. I'm curious as to what people thought.

i meant if you didn't want to waste it :) just a suggestion
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I ask because I'd like to have a glass but not sure if I should or not. lol

And here is a list of the ingredients it has in it:

http://www.almondbreeze.com/?navid=334&pid=337

You can see it there.

I don't think it is bad at all. I drank it instead of having a sweet snack. And now since I know that agave works, I may have it again.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Are you worried about the sugar cals or the type of sweetener?

It's sweetened with evaporated cane juice and that contains vitamins and minerals unlike other sugars due to its processing. It may put a few more calories in it, but it has those nutrients to at least make up for it. ;)

If you're going to have a cup of chocolate milk, at least have one you absolutely enjoy!
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Just go ahead and drink it. It's not going to hurt you to use up one container. Then you can get the unsweetened when you're done with it.

It's okay to eat and drink. Don't stress so much about one indulgence. It's continued indulgences that become a problem.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    "evaporated cane juice" = sugar. I don't know anything about this product, but i compared nutritional info and the unsweetened has 0g of sugar and the regular has 20g, so yes, it's 20g of added sugar.

If you're worried about the sugar intake you could buy a carton of unsweetened and mix them until the sweetened is gone. That also might help you get used to the unsweetened :)
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    I drink unsweetened (though not chocolate) and it's great for smoothies, in my coffee, with cereal, etc... The only thing I don't like it for is just as a glass of milk. Gotta kick it with my old school 2% milk when I crave a tall glass.

The one I have is amazing by itself, since it's chocolate. lol I have another kind but it's called Almond Fresh and it's plain, not unsweetened. I use that for my cereal which is Kashi. It doesn't even have a lot of sugar for the Original at all.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Does it fit your calories? Drink it.

If you have diabetes or another serious medical condition affected by sugar, don't.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Drink it and log the calories. Ta-da! Life is easy.
  • alexbusnello
    Options
    "evaporated cane juice" = sugar. I don't know anything about this product, but i compared nutritional info and the unsweetened has 0g of sugar and the regular has 20g, so yes, it's 20g of added sugar.

that's a lot for added sugar....That's what i was worried about. Hmmm..
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

that's a lot for added sugar....That's what i was worried about. Hmmm..

Very low processed sugar. You're not going to die from enjoying what you have.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Looks like a cup or two of it would fit just fine into any reasonable diet. It all depends what your overall diet looks like. No one individual food or drink is really going to be "good" or "bad" for you.
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Looks good! I've heard that chocolate milk is a good post-workout drink. This would probably be a good alternative to chocolate milk, with lower calories.

I would personally buy the unsweetened kind and maybe some natural chocolate syrup separately to make a chocolate drink. That way you can still use it in cooking (ie oatmeal, sauces), or with cereal, so it doesn't go to waste.