Not Happy With the Scale

Options

Replies

• baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    So my Frosted mini wheats are bad for me?
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    3 weeks is pretty early to hit a plateau so it's probably not a true plateau. I dieted for 3 months before I hit my plateau. But, let's say it is a plateau... Change your exercise. Don't every do the same thing twice - at least not within a few weeks time. Every day should be different. Second, do weight training AND cardio. I use the book series "Weight Training Workouts that Work". I take classes at my gym as well as walk/run on the treadmill and elliptical.

I don't know about the cereal thing, but sugar can be a defeater - more than fat in my opinion. I eat Fiber One Honey squares (I can't bring myself to eat Original Fiber One, but I know people who love it.) The Honey squares have only about 3 or 4 grams of sugar and lots of fiber, which will help keep things moving along through your stomach and intestinal tract.

Lastly, try using a heart rate monitor with a calorie counter when exercising so you can have a little more accurate count on your calorie burns besides what MFP has in their database. Remember to subtract your base calories burned.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Up the intensity of your workouts. Are you doing intervals? Try it instead of doing steady state cardio. also try circuit training. It burns more calories in less time.

I do intervals almost every workout (I do about 3 days in the gym for an hour and 1 hour outside of the gym).

I agree about the food scale.

I also eat a more calories than you do, even at your increased rate. But remember it takes your body about 3 weeks to figure out what is going on when you do something new, so be patient.
  • newday332
    newday332 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    are you eating back exercise calories? I found this helps me lose

I wasn't but will have to start doing that.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I really REALLY hate the scales sometimes or should I say I HATE what it does to people.
  • newday332
    Options
    Up the intensity of your workouts. Are you doing intervals? Try it instead of doing steady state cardio. also try circuit training. It burns more calories in less time.

I do intervals almost every workout (I do about 3 days in the gym for an hour and 1 hour outside of the gym).

I agree about the food scale.

I also eat a more calories than you do, even at your increased rate. But remember it takes your body about 3 weeks to figure out what is going on when you do something new, so be patient.

I wasn't doing intervals but I've started to incorporate it now on at least 2 days.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    oatmeal
    chicken
    tuna
    salads
    eggs
    whole wheat bread.

cut out ketchup... dressings.. sugar!!!!
    and try some sprints and weights.

water water water
  • chunkimama43
    Options
    hi, stay encouraged, just think soon you will be happy, throwing yourself a party!!!! it will be just fine
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The scale is an inanimate tool. It can only tell you how much you weigh at any particular moment in time. It cannot tell that you've been exercising or eating right. It doesn't know that you weigh 4lbs less in the morning, or if you are bloated. It has no idea how much your sanity may hinge upon its reading.

My point? Do not waste any more time being mad at something that has nothing to do with your solution.

There are other tools to measure weight loss and some of them my help you more. You can measure, take pictures, and record your progress in your exercise routine.

Don't search the boards for the magic answer, because there isn't one. There are a lot of Monday morning QBs and lots and lots of myths being propagated here.. A lot of us suffer from bias seeing our particular diets as the only ones that will work. People come up with all types of things that no one can eat, or times that you eat. It's all BS.

There is only one piece of advice that I have found in these boards that consistently remains true: Burn more calories than you eat and you will lose weight.

My personal advice to you is, DON'T QUIT.

Good luck.
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    <~~~No scales in my home! for me it is like a Mirror to Dracula!
  • Gigilly
    Gigilly Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If all above fails, you might want to take into consideration the following about lifestyle changes.

http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/sitting.html

Believe me it works.
    :-)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So I am about 6 weeks into my weight loss journey here on MFP. The first 3 weeks went .I lost about 7 pounds. Now i seem to be at a plateau. I was eating1200 cals. I have bumped that up to 1500cals hoping for the numbers to start going down on the scale. Well.....its going up!!!!!! What am I to do? Its been 2 weeks. Guidance please.

When you were losing, how many calories per day were you on at the time?

If it was 1200 calories per day, why did you up the amount?
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    Im in the same boat! I love cereal, going to be hard to give that up....not sure if I can do that.

I felt the same, but I now have 150g of total fat free greek yoghurt with about 100-150g of berries (strawberries, bluberries etc) and to satisfy the cereal crunch that I love I then put just about 8-10g of a cereal on top. As I understand it, this combo keeps you full, counteracts the toxins in the cereals and the Berries are great for all round health as they are raw and satisfy the sweet cravings. And it reduces your overall gluten/carb intake.
    I hope this helps as a suggestion.
    Oh did I mention that it really fills you up!
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'd say you could also confuse your body by eating maybe 1200 cals one day then 1500 the next day, then maybe 1100 day after that (if u would go under 1200) then go back up to maybe 1400...Just keep confusing your body!
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    Get a food scale and use it , measure everything that can be measured. See if that helps too
    I do this! I have a little book that I log everything in so that I don't forget anything. Makes you much more portion size aware.
  • Genozid
    Genozid Posts: 30
    Options
    Increase your cardio!

no... increase your strength training routine, eat your exercise calories and be patient. try eating clean foods.

This is the closest thing to accurate you should be doing..

First of all, stay off the scale. You're counting too much on what that number is, and not enough on how you feel, what your activity level is, and what your body is changing into/adapting too. Muscle weighs more than fat, if you're doing a nice toning strength training, sure, you won't see a scale shift, but you'll see yourself getting thinner!

Did you take before and after picutres? < Those are the best motivators. I don't understand why you upped your calories, but to each their own.

Eat 5 small meals a day, and keep it under 1200 calories, and see what suits your workout needs. You don't want to feel lethargic, but you don't want to eat until full either. Not knowing much about your activities or lifestyle, I'd say just be careful what you eat, "Low fat" and "Low Calorie" aren't always better options! Do research into what you're putting into your body.

My meals are public, and they're nice examples of a training diet. I get the nutrition I need for the energy I need, and I do Max Interval training for 50 mins a day. (No, I don't log my exercises on here, the calories they assume are incorrect by a long shot)

Get a heart rate monitor that shows calories burned, wear it all day, and thru a workout and you'll see what your body is shedding as far as calories. That's the best way to tell weather or not you're using what your body has stored as energy.

Following these steps, I lost over 70 lbs in 6 months, and I wasn't ever a "obese" person, just "big". I was also training for my First marathon, which I went from not being able to run for much longer than 90 seconds, to being able to run 3 miles at a time, 10 min miles. (Not the best, but much better than where I was)

Hope some of this is helpful, and if you have a difference of opinion, I'm open to suggestion, but don't flame!

- Will S.
  • RonneyMichelle
    RonneyMichelle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You might try some different things suggested here, but most of all don't give up.

16009308.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    The only cereals I eat and it is very infrequent are puffed rice and puffed wheat... With skim milk and stevia so it's over a cup of cereal for almost no calories. measure everything..... I estimate when I cannot measure.... Fist is a cup... Thumb is a tablespoon, thumbnail is teaspoon...... use a small coffee mug instead of a bowl for cereals and make sure you understand potions on labels....
  • newday332
    Options
    oatmeal
    chicken
    tuna
    salads
    eggs
    whole wheat bread.

cut out ketchup... dressings.. sugar!!!!
    and try some sprints and weights.

water water water

Thank u!
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Increase your cardio!

no... increase your strength training routine, eat your exercise calories and be patient. try eating clean foods.

This^