Fitbit, BodyMedia Fit, HRM's--what to buy?

Options
I am new to MFP and am thinking I would like something to help me track my calories I burn. I do cardio about 45 min. about 5 days a week and strength training 2-3 times a week. For cardio, I usually do the elliptical, stationery bike or the Arc Trainer. It looks like the Fitbit tracks steps like a pedometer. Will it work with the elliptical or should I just stick with something like a heart rate monitor? I had a Polar several years ago, but the battery died and I need to send it back to the company.

Do you keep the Fitbit or BodyMedia Fit armband on all day to get your calories burned?

Please help me figure out what to buy. Thanks!

Replies

• lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE fitbit..I wear it every day! And its pretty accurate compared with my heart monitor when I workout so I don't even use the monitor hardly ever anymore...Its great because some days you don't realize how inactive you are until you look at the numbers!
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Usually an HRM is all you need. I have the BodyMedia Fit Core and I wear it all day every day, minus my time in the shower.

It lets me know how many calories I burn every day, and therefore how many calories I should eat. I love it. Plus, it tracks steps taken and sleep. Really nifty.

Good luck!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I have a body media fit and a polar HRM. The BFM is a fun toy and gives me great information but if I could only have one I'd pick the HRM hands down. It is a much more effective tool for my workouts and I like the feedback during my workout to know how hard I'm working which I don't get from the BMF. I have to plug it into the computer to get the data.
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Do the Fitbit or BodyMedia Fit monitors work for elliptical workouts or do they just track walking that you do during the day like a pedometer? Also, would they work if I use a Stairmaster (the kind that is like an escalator with the steps going around)? I just want to make sure that I get something that will track all of my activity.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yes fitbit will track the stairmaster for sure...it tells you how many floors you walk too. It also tracks sleep activity as well. And the battery on mine lasts 2 weeks before I have to charge it. The elliptical, I am not sure of because I don't do it. I don't see why it wouldnt though.
  • tsaustin
    tsaustin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use a body media fit (Link). I like the "link" version because I have an app on my phone and can see my results real time. I also use a garmin HRM. I absolutely love both products. I wear my arm band all the time except when showering. I only use my HRM when I am working out.

Tarsha
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia HRM and love it. I do wear it all day (including when I sleep) and it tracks calorie burn throughout the day. It does track steps and sleep patterns and lets you "zoom in" on spikes of activity to see calories burned and workout intensity. There's one that you can get that syncs with your smartphone (if you have one), and I think that'd be better than the one I have that requires upload onto the computer to see the data.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    One thing I noticed about my BMF is the difference I get in calories burned from my HRM depending on the activity. When I golf or do zumba they are really close to the same number. But when I spin they are wayyyyy off. The BMF doesn't register the activity since it's mostly leg work and my body doesn't move as much. I use my HRM numbers for eating purposes for MFP but just and FYI.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Just got my Polar FT4 HRM. Loving it~~