Trayvon Martin tragedy strikes again

Options
CalJur
CalJur Posts: 627 Member
Least anyone believe Trayvon Martin is an isolated incident in this society, you would be terribly wrong. It has happened again in Pasadena, California as police kill a young black male who they mistakenly believe was armed. I have 3 sons ages 14 years old and younger. As a black man and father of young sons these continued killings not only anger me but also make me afraid for the safety of my sons. The racial profiling of young black men and these continued killings must stop. Those responsible for these murders must be brought to justice and held accountable for their actions.

http://www.thegrio.com/specials/trayvon-martin/is-kendrec-mcdade-another-trayvon-martin.php

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous! I've had to read some arguments for racial profiling (mostly about Muslim-looking people. Not even sure if they're Muslim or not, just that they look like they could be Muslim...) and it has proven to be ineffective, as well as (in my humble opinion) disgusting.

As a society, we need to realize that bad people are not isolated to one group or a few groups, they're in every group. Bad people are white, black, hispanic, asian, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Atheist. By the same token, good people are white, black, hispanic, asian, Christian, Jewish, Muslim or whatever else.

Oh, and as for the police, they have pepper spray. If they think somebody is armed, they can use that. The gun is not the only option.
    \end rant
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is - those that know this type of thing happens are like us. Scared for our children.
    Those that don't know usually don't care or think that because black thugs and criminals DO exist as a whole profiling is O.K.

And I agree with Kalidescope - it isn't just black people.
    After 9/11 I was pulled to the side going through airport security and actually asked if I were American, Muslim and if I had a Passport on me because all I could produce at the time was a drivers license.

OH they even asked me if I was using my 'married' name and what my birth name was.
  • AmberFaith90
    AmberFaith90 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Killing kids of any race is a tragedy.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Absolutely sickening. I have children too, and this terrifies me.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you, well said.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I fear for my sons also. I have 3... and this stuff angers me and makes me SICK!!
  • Well he wasn't killed because of his skin color, the one in Pasedena I mean. A man called in claiming he had been robbed by these young men, the same man also claimed that the men were armed, so when the police caught up to the young men, they ran. As the police were running after the men, one of them reached for his waistband, having been briefed on the supposed weapon, the officer opened fire, killing him.
    The man who made the 911 call was arrested and is being held responsible for this man's death.

The men didn't have any weapons, the 911 caller lied so the police would respond quicker.

That one, wasn't racial profile, the officers had a legit reason to believe their lives were in danger.
    But I full-well understand what you're saying and why you're concerned. What happened to Trayshon was terrible and it needs to stop. I don't understand why some people are so full of hate that they want to kill somebody based on their skin color. The same applies to racial profiling, the kid had skittles and a pop I believe. What was Zimmerman so afraid of? The kid didn't do anything, I hope Zimmerman gets an extensive prison sentence where he can discover just how painful his butt can feel.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I know this won't be a popular view...but I think they are different. One is a guy on a neighborhood watch. No training. No certification. Certainly not law enforcement. Admittedly I have not read the facts, but they certainly don't look good in his case and he deserves what he gets.

But the second is police acting on what they believe is a crime. Yeah, it's easy to judge later when we find out it is bogus, but that doesn't change the fact that at the time they believed it was a legitimate crime. The story says he reached for waistband. Now unless there is video, we'll never truly know what happened. But if he did, you don't reach for pepper spray or a taser. You meet deadly force with the same. They are trained to make split decisions. Frankly it's a job I wouldn't want and it is easy for people to armchair quarterback.

The fact there are 2 black teens is a tragedy. I don't agree with lumping them together.
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am actively involved with this! I am sick and sorry that this continues today and that some people are trying to find excuses to make this poor young man somehow to blame because he was "black while walking" appalls me! If you have Sirius Radio, listen to Mark Thompson on "Sirius Left" Channel 127 he is covering this daily starting at 4 ET.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I watched and interesting show called "what would you do?" there is an episode where kids of different races and different sexes vandalize a car in a very public park. If you havent seen it I suggest seeing if you can find it, it's a must watch. I have to point out that there is also a sex profiling as well, if these were girls they would still be alive.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Profiling is terrible . I can't imagine fearing for my children and their safety just because of the color of their skin. Until people actually have that sort of fear, they can't really relate to what these parents are feeling.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Racial profiling certainly still exists. There are even states trying to justify it so they can hunt immigrants. This country is in a sad state and lately seems to be getting worse. Personally, I'd like to move. And I'm white. But the thing about racial profiling is, it's a sign of a very sick society and living in a sick society isn't good for anyone.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    And you know what upsets me? That Nancy Grace. Someone ought to stuff a sock in her!
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Let me preface this by saying that yes discrimination against blacks and hispanics still exists in this country and as a Latino raised in this country I can attest to that, however, the case you are referencing differs to that of Trayvon's death in that an alleged altercation occurred with Trayvon. Not enough information has been disclosed regarding Trayvon's case to say whether or not the actions of the shooter were justified. It may very well be that the shooter was not justified, however, before convicting him in the court of public opinion, allow the investigation to continue and see what additional information is presented regarding the shooter's rational in the shooting.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I watched and interesting show called "what would you do?" there is an episode where kids of different races and different sexes vandalize a car in a very public park. If you havent seen it I suggest seeing if you can find it, it's a must watch. I have to point out that there is also a sex profiling as well, if these were girls they would still be alive.

I love the show "What Would You Do?" It serves as a great example of the biases that we might hold, but we're not aware of and it demonstrates the power of the bystander affect. And then they stop some of the douche canoes that don't try to help or prevent what is happening and call them out on it.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    What happened to Trayshon was terrible and it needs to stop. I don't understand why some people are so full of hate that they want to kill somebody based on their skin color. The same applies to racial profiling, the kid had skittles and a pop I believe. What was Zimmerman so afraid of? The kid didn't do anything, I hope Zimmerman gets an extensive prison sentence where he can discover just how painful his butt can feel.

Trouble with that is, the police report, Zimmerman's injuries, AND a witness all agreed with his testimony that he, a 5'3" Hispanic guy on neighborhood watch, was punched and knocked to the ground by a 6'2" black teen in a hoodie. In his shoes I would have felt seriously endangered, too! He'd reported Martin as being suspicious, walking through a gated community where he didn't normally live. I can see why he'd have been concerned, and it would have been the right response to report it to police... where he went wrong was in following after he was told not to. The whole thing is a tragedy, to be sure, but I don't really think there was any racial motivation to the shooting. Neither one of them was white.

But if they're going to make it a racial issue, then why is no one protesting on behalf of the white kid who was lit on fire, the two English guys who were shot and their pants stripped off, the young white couple who were brutalized and murdered, or the elderly white couple who were horribly murdered, all by black teens and young adults? I live in an area that is surprisingly multicultural considering its size, and the racism I see every day makes me sick. I would love to see everyone just accept each other, and am looking forward to the day when skin color doesn't matter anymore. But the kind of racism being shown by Sharpton and Jackon and even Pres Obama right now is not helping things, it's just making it all worse and dividing people around the world. :cry:
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options

I saw that show...it was very interesting...
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    It's just a damn shame that in the year 2012 African-American men and teens still have to constantly think about what they are wearing, saying, and doing just so that people don't make snap judgments that they are dangerous criminals. I was sick to my stomach when I heard about Trayvon Martin. I work in a school that is about 75% African and African-American children. All I could think about is one of those kids being senselessly killed like that. It broke my heart for the family. I hope they get all the facts straightened out soon and justice is served.

As for this second case, I don't know anything about it, but it sounds like the media is just blowing it up trying to stir up trouble. Based on what people are saying in this thread, the facts seem quite different.
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You do not have to be white to be racist.
    You do not have to be a minority to feel discrimination and/or racism.
    Also, where are you pulling your "facts"? Completely incorrect.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/28/2719868/network-broadcasts-surveillance.html
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/30/justice/florida-teen-shooting-witnesses/index.html

Something to think about: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/411137/march-26-2012/the-word---dressed-to-kill

Why is this a huge matter. It has been a month and no one has been arrested. Trayvon was four on the ground with his hands underneath him. HOW.... In what world, did he die in a helpless position and Zimmerman able to use a self defense plea?

The police dept pretty much considered a closed matter until public outrage demanded an investigation.

Then people blame it on hoodies. WHAT?! I always wear hoodies. Furthermoe. If it is alright to attack based on clothing?
    There are many upsetting facts to this case. There are upsetting reactions to this case. There is a lot of ignorance regarding sexism and racism.
    What happened to Trayshon was terrible and it needs to stop. I don't understand why some people are so full of hate that they want to kill somebody based on their skin color. The same applies to racial profiling, the kid had skittles and a pop I believe. What was Zimmerman so afraid of? The kid didn't do anything, I hope Zimmerman gets an extensive prison sentence where he can discover just how painful his butt can feel.

Trouble with that is, the police report, Zimmerman's injuries, AND a witness all agreed with his testimony that he, a 5'3" Hispanic guy on neighborhood watch, was punched and knocked to the ground by a 6'2" black teen in a hoodie. In his shoes I would have felt seriously endangered, too! He'd reported Martin as being suspicious, walking through a gated community where he didn't normally live. I can see why he'd have been concerned, and it would have been the right response to report it to police... where he went wrong was in following after he was told not to. The whole thing is a tragedy, to be sure, but I don't really think there was any racial motivation to the shooting. Neither one of them was white.

But if they're going to make it a racial issue, then why is no one protesting on behalf of the white kid who was lit on fire, the two English guys who were shot and their pants stripped off, the young white couple who were brutalized and murdered, or the elderly white couple who were horribly murdered, all by black teens and young adults? I live in an area that is surprisingly multicultural considering its size, and the racism I see every day makes me sick. I would love to see everyone just accept each other, and am looking forward to the day when skin color doesn't matter anymore. But the kind of racism being shown by Sharpton and Jackon and even Pres Obama right now is not helping things, it's just making it all worse and dividing people around the world. :cry:
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    :(