Eating Right For your Body Type (Large Hips Thighs and Rear)

Options
Body Type: Big Bottom (Large Hips, Thighs and Rear)

If you fall into this category, the first secret to slimming down is to understand what type of body fat you’re fighting. Those with big bottoms are carrying around extra subcutaneous fat. This fat that appears just below your skin is actually healthier than belly fat; unfortunately, it is also harder to get rid of. Subcutaneous fat is associated with healthy cholesterol levels and fewer heart attacks, but it also has less blood flow and holds onto calories, which makes it tough to burn off.

Diet Plan: Eat a Low-fat Diet

Research shows that a low-fat diet actually helps break down stubborn fat cells in your bottom region.

Step 1: Cut Back on Saturated Fats

To get on track with a low-fat diet, begin by cutting down on saturated fats, including animal sources such as high-fat dairy and red meats. Eliminate hidden saturated fats such as hydrogenated oils found in processed foods.

Step 2: Include Low-fat Dairy in Every Meal

You don't have to cut out dairy entirely. Studies demonstrate that calcium helps to regulate the way fat cells store, build up and break down fat. Subsequently, low-fat dairy sources such as milk, yogurt and cottage cheese help promote weight loss. Choose low-fat (2%), not no-fat dairy.

Meal Sampler:

Butt-blasting Breakfast: Low-fat Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and granola
Lunch: Low-fat cottage cheese with tomatoes, cucumbers and grilled chicken
Snack: Low-fat milk with dark chocolate cocoa
Dinner: Lean turkey burger with low-fat cheddar cheese
Workout for a Big-Bottom Body Type: Curtsy Squats & Rows

To work off a big-bottom area, do resistance training and get a cardio workout at the same time by using something called “complexes.” Complexes are a type of circuit training consisting of body sculpting moves, done back to back in a circuit format. Pears should combine curtsy squats and rows. You can do this routine with a resistance band or by holding milk cartons or cans. Start by doing a curtsy. Then, lean forward with your hips and go right into a rowing motion with your arms. Do as many as you can with good form in 30 seconds. Repeat this exercise 2-3 times. You’ll increase lean body tissue, boost your metabolism, and reduce the appearance of cellulite.

Replies

• Eireann15
    Eireann15 Posts: 124
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!! My most stubborn/problem area is my hips/love handles/thighs/etc. This will help me a lot, as I have had some trouble getting rid of weight from there!!
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    try some side lunges , sqat and holds , side steps , good mornings , and use the hyper extension for side bends for love handles , light weight and squeeze at the top of the motion
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    "Body Type: Pear (Full Hips, Thighs and Rear)
    If you fall into this category, the first secret to slimming down is to understand what type of body fat you're fighting. Those with large bottoms are carrying around extra subcutaneous fat. This fat that appears just below your skin is actually healthier than belly fat; unfortunately, it is also harder to get rid of. Subcutaneous fat is associated with healthy cholesterol levels and fewer heart attacks, but it also has less blood flow and holds onto calories, which makes it tough to burn off.

http://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Oz-Diet-and-Exercise-Plans-for-Your-Body-Type#ixzz1qdTAyJJH

If you're going to cut and paste from another web site please do the courteous thing and attribute it properly rather than (perhaps unintentionally) passing it off as your own.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    This has not been my experience.

A pear shape with thighs out of proportion to the rest of my body, most of my life I ran (avg runs 8-18 km) 4 days a week, did martial arts classes 3 days a week, ballet classes twice a week, weights 5 days a week and ate a clean diet, rarely junk food, and considering I worked my butt off, it *didn't* get worked off! Instead I steadily gained a pound or two every year throughout my forties and fifties until knee pain killed running and hip pain ended dancing. March 2011 I decided better change things up--if this rate of gaining continued ... well, didn't want to go there.

It was a mystery to me why, with a healthy diet and way more activity than most people, I was gaining weight. Why was I getting fat? I came across the book Why We Get Fat and it seemed plausible so revamped my whole approach to eating. Now approximately 50% of my calories are from fat--healthy fats ... very important. 20% is carbohydrates made up of vegetables and fruit, some nuts (try to eat vegetables high on the ANDI scale), and 30% protein made up of meat, poultry, and lots of fish, keeping processed meat to a minimum. Focusing on nutrient density and quality of food (grass fed or wild caught protein sources and grow as much of the veg as possible), has made a huge difference. I lost the weight and the inches off my thighs and butt ... and no more joint pain--not sure why, but am happy about it.

Healthy fats are not your enemy.
  • gooseafur
    gooseafur Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    "Body Type: Pear (Full Hips, Thighs and Rear)
    If you fall into this category, the first secret to slimming down is to understand what type of body fat you're fighting. Those with large bottoms are carrying around extra subcutaneous fat. This fat that appears just below your skin is actually healthier than belly fat; unfortunately, it is also harder to get rid of. Subcutaneous fat is associated with healthy cholesterol levels and fewer heart attacks, but it also has less blood flow and holds onto calories, which makes it tough to burn off.

http://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Oz-Diet-and-Exercise-Plans-for-Your-Body-Type#ixzz1qdTAyJJH

If you're going to cut and paste from another web site please do the courteous thing and attribute it properly rather than (perhaps unintentionally) passing it off as your own.

Thanks for posting where the info came from...I'll check it out later!! I was kinda wonder who, what or where the source came from and if there is truth behind it. :wink:
  • formonte
    formonte Posts: 9
    Options
    My Orthopedic Surgeon advised me to get that book, "Why we get FAT and what we can do about it". I read it, and YES, it makes so much sense! I even actually tried it (I am a once a month meat eater, if that). I felt discusting. I just can't eat that much meat!

Now what? I just get sick thinking about eating meat, so any suggestions would be helpful.

:drinker:
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My Orthopedic Surgeon advised me to get that book, "Why we get FAT and what we can do about it". I read it, and YES, it makes so much sense! I even actually tried it (I am a once a month meat eater, if that). I felt discusting. I just can't eat that much meat!

Now what? I just get sick thinking about eating meat, so any suggestions would be helpful.

:drinker:

Fish? Does your aversion extend to poultry?
    Meat based broths for soups?
    Green vegetables are very high in nutrients; focus on getting the most from your calorie intake.
    Look for healthy sources of fat -- Look for the book The Omega Diet which is based on the Mediteranean diet
  • formonte
    formonte Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the help Zeromilediet!

I can eat fish more than anything, maybe a once a week !

Poultry isn't on my list for sure! I do eat lots of kale (in my vitamix with a few other things).

So, you think that meat based soup broth would be a good stand in? Because I really like soup!

Again, thanks for the help!
  • passifloraFoetida
    passifloraFoetida Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I fall into this category, but I can't eat most of those meals due to food allergies.