Protein powder... what's your favorite?

Options
kiwi1855
kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
Hey all!
I've been trying to up my protein lately as I've started weightlifting, and I know my protein consumption is WAY below what it should be. So I'm thinking of adding protein powder in. I have a few ideas on how to use it (more is always appreciated though!), but I don't want to waste money on terrible product.

What's your favorite flavour and brand? And - almost more important: where are you from? I know some products are only sold in specific areas, so I'm going to go in armed with a list/ranking and see what I can find. But, I'm more comfortable going in KNOWING what I'm looking for, rather than being attacked by a salesperson who doesn't think I should be in the store in the first place. (Yes, I'm not so confident in buying new things... I'm working on it!)

So what's your favorite? What should I avoid? Average prices?

EDIT: Thanks for the suggestions thus far! I'm still trying to lose - my goal is lean and toned, not bulky :)

Replies

• only2bfit
    only2bfit Posts: 44
    Options
    Body by Vi is my favorite ever. (Vi Salus) Its great I love it, only 90 cals and you can mix skim milk to add even more protein and fruit or whatever you want, it tastes good alone too. I'm tryin to lose weight not get muscular, idk which your lookin for but its a good one and I think its good for both!
  • christinerush
    Options
    Hi there! I like Bodyscience, vanilla and chocolate. I use the vanilla on my oats at breakfast and add water, in place of skim milk and its lovely and creamy and keeps me full and less calories than with the skim milk too! I also like to add the vanilla one to yoghurt and have also added it to scrambled eggs, but only half a scoop or 15 grams as its too sweet otherwise!
  • christinerush
    Options
    I meant to say that its about $27 au in supermarket but lots more at sports shops and that lasts me for a fortnight just using it for breakfast! Oh and congrats on the super amount of weight you have lost!:smile:
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    Austin, TX here. I like EAS 100% Whey Protein, $21 for 2lbs. It also comes chocolate and vanilla flavors. It mixes well in a blender. I use a handheld blender for easy cleanup. It taste good on its own, but I like to add a banana or frozen strawberries. I also add 2 tbsp of peanut butter for an extra boost of flavor and protein.
  • Joshlsr225
    Options
    Lean Shake 25 at GNC. PACKED with protein (25 grams). Chocolate is the best flavor. Be sure to only buy the powdered version, no matter what flavor, because the mix has WAYYY more fiber than the pre-made version (already mixed, like liquid). Fiber helps you feel fuller btw ;)
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I use two. I chose them for 2 main reasons: Taste, and the ability to be mixed easily with just a spoon in water. I HATE having my blender dirty all the time from mixing up shakes.:noway: Anyway, the first one is Promasil Milk Chocolate. It mixes with a spoon in about 20 sec, and I SWEAR it tastes just like milk chocolate. It's sweetened with Stevia, and you get 20 gm of protein for only 90 calories (that's one scoop). It's a GNC brand but I buy it from a website called Luckynutrition.com. It's way cheaper. Anyway, the other one is called Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey in Triple Milk Chocolate (Could it HAVE a longer name?! lol) It's cheaper, and mixes ever smoother with just a spoon. One scoop has 24 gm of protein and 120 cals. It's not quite as sweet, but still tasty, and I am SUPER PICKY!! I buy it on Amazon.com, and get free shipping--super easy and cheaper than stores in my area. I just chug the protein shakes, and eat raw fruit on the side or whatever to get my carbs. I upped my protein to 150 gm/day, and that's when I started seeing changes. I've only been back at this for 3 months, and my back was never this muscular in my 20s, even though I lifted for years!! I'm convinced the extra protein is the key for developing/conditioning/maintaining your lean body mass. (I eat a TON of carbs too, not that it matters...:laugh: ) Anyway, best wishes!!:flowerforyou:

These have been my results in the last 3 months, and I attribute much of my progress to getting adequate protein, and obviously training hard. I just do NOT have time to get 150 gm from "real" food with 2 little kids running around. I need the shakes to supplement.

152lbsphotobucketbackview-1.jpg
  • TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just use skim milk powder. It does the same thing, and I know for sure what's in it. Seems easier.
  • super_jade
    Options
    i use BSN lean dessert because i cant stand the foul tasting protein powders. tastes yummo!
  • deseablev
    deseablev Posts: 26
    Options
    bump
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Average prices are usually 14-50dollars for a 2lb container from low end to high end.

I just started it yesterday so I can't tell you much.

I bought the Target Market Pantry chocolate and tried it yesterday not bad, not great but not bad added some pb to it.

It was 15 on sale at target, and it has 140 cal 2g sugar and 25g protein per serving. It tastes ok its like a slightly off chocolate milk flavor to it.
  • sarasara42
    Options
    I'm on the West coast. My favorite is AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 at GNC.
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3509955
    You can get the Gold card and get 20% off, but i usually wait until they have them buy 1 get 1 half off.
    I really like the Cookies N Cream flavor. It's pricey but yummy and i only use 1 scoop for 20gm of protein. Otherwise if i'm feeling cheap or particularly lazy i just do the Costco brand for Muscle Milk powder and use my old empty tubs and refill those. Taste not as good, but easy to pick up while i'm loading my cart.
  • rasmu2
    rasmu2 Posts: 2
    Options
    From Chicago, I love Optimum double chocolate, won 1st place for last 5 years, 5 pounds for around $55, but if you buy cheap protein it will make your stomach upset, This one is the best one out their. 120 calories and 24 grams of protein and 3 grams of carbs.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you have a Wegmans near you, I like their house brand Natural Whey Protein Powder.
    I get Vanilla and Chocolate. They also have Strawberry.

My objective is weight loss more than bulk/build muscle (right now) so my criteria were:
    - Hi protein for low cals. (Vanilla: 1 scoop, 80 cals, 18 g protein.)
    - Low carbs & sugars: 2g/scoop
    - No artificial sweetener: uses stevia, not sucralose or the others

Also has only .5g (1/2 g) fat. and gluten free, if that's important.

Vanilla Ingredients: Ion-Exchanged, Microfiltered Non-RBGH Whey Protein Isolate (Milk), Non-RBGH Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk), Natural Vanilla Flavor. Less than 1% of the Following: Carrageenan, Free-Form L-Glutamine (Vegetarian), Stevia, Sunflower Lecithin.

I mix botth with water and ice, and they taste just fine to me.*
    I have a vanilla shake for breakfast almost every morning. I add cinnamon (1t), Benefiber (2T) and ground flaxseed (1T).

At night if I'm having a chocolate craving, I'll whip up a shake with the Chocolate. In fact I just finished one!

Comes in 2 sizes: 21 servings: $23. 42 servings: $37.

* I have one of those little "personal blenders" that is really easy to clean - just rinse. Holds >16 oz.. Comes with 2 lids. You can get them a variety of places for <$20.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    People's knowledge on whey is fairly elementary and I don't blame them.

When you want to buy whey, you want to look at the processing first. You generally have three processes: ion-exchange, ultrafiltered (or microfiltered), and cross-flow microfiltered. Starting from left to right, you have inferior processing to the best. Avoid ion-exchanged whey. They're garbage, seriously.

Next thing you want to look at is the macronutrient profile. Honestly, what's the point in having whey if there's a ton of fat and carbs? I take whey because it opens up my options for more different foods. XF 2.0 is one of the best tasting wheys out there but that isn't particularly surprising considering it's high fat (for whey at least).

Next thing you want to look at is servings and protein. If you buy a 5lb and there's 60 servings but only 22g of protein per serving then it ain't worth it, especially if the other macronutrients are high by whey standards.

After that, you want to ask yourself this: do you want an isolate, casein, or concentrate? They're all different. The first one (isolate) is quite pure, resulting in a shake that is almost purely protein per serving. Casein is expensive but the flavour is great. Concentrate is simply a blend and the most popular.

I consume two scoops a day, so affordability, great taste, and good quality is important to me. What I like to do is take the number of servings on the bottle, times it by the protein, and then divide that by the amount of dollars after taxes and what not. This gives you grams of protein per dollar. Mine has around 47g but I live in Canada so finding better whey is almost impossible.

Considering this, here are brands that are popular but I suggest you avoid:

ON 100% Whey - This is probably the most popular whey on the market. Why? It tastes great, it's affordable, good profile, and great servings. Sounds perfect, right? Well, the isolates are ion-exchanged. Sounds pointless but ion-exchanged proteins contain more of a protein fraction called beta-lactoglobulin, which is a crappy fraction and the one most people are allergic to. If you don't really care, this is worth buying but I suggest avoiding it since there are equally affordable, better quality wheys.

Anything by GNC

Promasil - I actually laugh when people go to GNC and the employees convince someone to buy this. It's so damn expensive that it isn't even worth it. 20g of protein per serving @ 80 servings for $113? If you got money to burn, why not?

Dymatize - They're notorious for having purely ion-exchanged whey. They're affordable for a reason and it's because their whey isn't of particularly good quality.

BSN Syntha-6 - The profile sucks a major one. 14g of carbs just for 22g of protein? No thanks. The taste on these are awesome, though. If you don't care about the shoddy carb-to-protein ratio then this might be worth a purchase.

My recommendations:
    Myofusion - Tastes amazing (creates a really thick drink especially with milk), great profile, GMP certified, and their whey is entirely microfiltered and cross-flow microfiltered. They're not much more expensive than ON 100% but they're better in terms of quality. This is my go-to whey if I ever lived in America.

Anything by ALLMAX - They're on the pricier side but they pretty much make the best quality stuff. You can't go wrong with them. Great tasting stuff as well.

MusclePharm Combat Powder - Affordable, tastes great, and awesome profile.

VPX Zero Carb SRO - Good tasting stuff, incredible quality, and on par with ALLMAX Isoflex. Both are relatively expensive ($1.00 per serving but this is cheaper than something like Lean Dessert) but Isoflex pulls a fast one since it tastes much better.

Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide 2.0 - Probably the best tasting whey out there but the macronutrient profile sucks. I only mention it because they have the best customer service and best taste as well as great quality. It only comes in 2lbs and it's expensive ($32.99 for 24 servings).

www.canadianprotein.com - this is where I get my whey.

LeanFit Whey - a brand you can only get it from Costco. This is another whey that I get and it's the most affordable whey in Canada (to my knowledge) unless you get 25lbs from Canadian Protein.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use two. I chose them for 2 main reasons: Taste, and the ability to be mixed easily with just a spoon in water. I HATE having my blender dirty all the time from mixing up shakes.:noway: Anyway, the first one is Promasil Milk Chocolate. It mixes with a spoon in about 20 sec, and I SWEAR it tastes just like milk chocolate. It's sweetened with Stevia, and you get 20 gm of protein for only 90 calories (that's one scoop). It's a GNC brand but I buy it from a website called Luckynutrition.com. It's way cheaper. Anyway, the other one is called Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey in Triple Milk Chocolate (Could it HAVE a longer name?! lol) It's cheaper, and mixes ever smoother with just a spoon. One scoop has 24 gm of protein and 120 cals. It's not quite as sweet, but still tasty, and I am SUPER PICKY!! I buy it on Amazon.com, and get free shipping--super easy and cheaper than stores in my area. I just chug the protein shakes, and eat raw fruit on the side or whatever to get my carbs. I upped my protein to 150 gm/day, and that's when I started seeing changes. I've only been back at this for 3 months, and my back was never this muscular in my 20s, even though I lifted for years!! I'm convinced the extra protein is the key for developing/conditioning/maintaining your lean body mass. (I eat a TON of carbs too, not that it matters...:laugh: ) Anyway, best wishes!!:flowerforyou:

These have been my results in the last 3 months, and I attribute much of my progress to getting adequate protein, and obviously training hard. I just do NOT have time to get 150 gm from "real" food with 2 little kids running around. I need the shakes to supplement.

WOW!!! That is an AMAZING transformation in just 3 months. Can you share what you're doing?
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't get my doctorate degree in "Whey Protein--ology", but it seems pretty simple to me. Eat ample protein, carbs, and healthy fats, train hard, see results....not ao complicated. Btw, my husband was a competitive bodybuilder for 10 years, competed at around 230 lbs, never came in less than 2nd place, and he uses Optimum Nutrition, and so do 3 of the female fitness competitors he currently works with as a personal trainer...less talking, more lifting...PEACE!! :drinker:
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Thank you for this - I just checked my Whey (100%) and didn't realize that it had ACE K and splenda in it! I have switched to stevia to try to be a little more natural - so this information is very helpful to me! AND you look awesome!
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I'm uneducated in many fitness things, including protein supplements, but was recently turned on to Amplify (GNC) chocolate. I put a TBSP of natural peanut butter in it - best tasting protein shake I've ever had plus I've been assured by several people that it is high quality. Downside - with a GNC card, it's at the higher end of the price range - $40 for 2lbs. I like EAS premade drinks, too, for post workout quickies.

Side note - I just started NROLFW. Hoping I can get results like thistime! You look amazing!
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Body by Vi is awesome!!!