Elliptical vs treadmill?

Options
Hi there
I want to pick up my workout and get in more cardio, and I was thinking of buying my own elliptical machine or treadmill. Which one is better, is there much difference? Ellipticals seem to be cheaper so I'm swinging towards that.
I'm not confident enough to go to a gym (all the gyms here seem really expensive too, 10 weeks memebership can buy an elliptical) and the roads around here are quite dangerous so it's hard to get out there and walk or jog.

Replies

• Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Go for the combo. Get the Bowflex treadclimber. We bought one in August and I LOVE it. It kicks my butt. When we first got it I was doing an hour on an elliptical with the resistance at 12. I could only do about 20 minutes on the tradclimber and was drenched in sweat. Now that I have a HRM I can see that I am burning more calories/min on Treadclimber than I do on elliptical, treadmill or walking.
    Just my $.02
  • katglaze
    katglaze Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I work in healthcare, a physical therapist told me the elliptical burns more fat than a treadmill. If I did not have a gym I would buy one without a doubt.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have both and i burn more with the elliptical and it's easier on my knees...
  • bugnsamsmom
    bugnsamsmom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    According to the machines at the gym...I burn more on the elliptical than the treadmill.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    elliptical is less impact if u have bad knees/ ankles... treadmill is better if you're a runner and planning on working your way up to doing lots of runs outside... more similar to running outside/ yet still less impact
  • electricmeow
    electricmeow Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to say! I personally love the treadmill because it works you up to being able to RUN! The elliptical isn't as transferable of an exercise. I just get sooo over the elliptical...and it shows in my full body effort. Its easy to skimp on the exercise after awhile "oh wait...im not holding the handles...oh i only need to go this fast..." The treadmill kicks my butt. The belt is going and you better keep up! You can actually imagine yourself outside. I know the elliptical is supposed to burn more calories, but just as a mental thing, I think the treadmill has huuuge positives. And what I mentioned about the effort....since the treadmill is kicking your butt, you probably do end up burning more calories with the treadmill challenge as opposed to being more easy on the elliptical.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i have both an elliptical and a treadmill. they both are currently serving the same purpose...collecting dust in the garage. but when i did use them, i used the treadmill to get in better shape to be able to do the elliptical. purchased both second hand so i could afford both, instead of just buying one brand new. i knew i needed variety in my workouts and doing the same thing every day, either the ellipical or the treadmill only, wouldn't motivate me enough to keep using it. i have actually found that i love walking outside more than i used to. i have major knee issues, major, and both machines seem to be something i can handle at a slow to moderate pace. good luck!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I would go treadmill. Practicality. The treadmill mimics actual walking and running, so you will not only burn calories, but you will train your muscles on walking or running. Elliptical doesn't actually train your body to do anything. The closest motion to an elliptical is pedaling a bicycle while standing up. So, I personally always go with the treadmill.

As for which burns more calories while exercising, well, the number of calories you burn doing an exercise is honestly the LEAST important factor in doing an exercise. I can burn a lot more calories in 15 minutes on an elliptical than I can doing 15 minutes of heavy barbell squats, but the squats are going to do a LOT more for me from a health and fitness standpoint.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    We have a treadmill, and I really like it a lot. It's easy to run or walk, and the incline feature is great.
  • Sytera
    Sytera Posts: 75
    Options
    I was pressed for both money and space. I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-55-1610-InMotion-Elliptical-Trainer/dp/B000VICRO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333217010&sr=8-1 It is such a great workout and so much cheaper than anything else I saw. I usually hold 3 lb weights in my hands and keep my arms moving to get a little more workout.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Depends on your fitness goals, really. You can most definitely burn the same amount of calories on both. If you want to eventually start running, then go for the treadmill. If you want less impact on your knees/legs, go with the elliptical.

From a financial standpoint, the treadmill can be pricey. Most of them wear down quicker than an elliptical and the cost to repair or maintain them are ridiculous. (This is why I've never owned one myself).

I'm a bit partial to the treadmill, but the elliptical was awesome and a saving grace for me when I couldn't run for months due to an injury. It still allowed me to keep my fitness level while healing.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My elliptical was absolutely key for me. Seemed easier to get on at 5 am. The treadmill seemed extra daunting at that hour!

-M
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I try to hit a 12 minute mile on the elliptical.. it eliminates the laziness that the lack of a moving belt can create.
    I prefer the elliptical, but mostly because I have a bum ankle (I broke it, 8 pins and a plate are still in it), and the elliptical does not put so much impact on my ankle. I like to save the impact for actually walking/jogging outside.

I would choose an elliptical, and I hope to get one relatively soon!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I did a LOT of research elliptical vs treadmill when I was not losing weight. I was using the elliptical. Yes the machines says you burn more using elliptical. BUT the research says if you aren't doing most of the work on the elliptical then you are not working. That's why walking/jogging has the best calorie burn.

I began walking/jogging on treadmill and lost 5 lbs!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would get an elliptical because I can just run outside.
  • Hawksbillus
    Hawksbillus Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You might consider an incline trainer. It's like a treadmill, but you can either run on it or walk slowly up hill. I have one that goes way up to a 40% incline and it really, really gets my heart pumping.
  • Jennifermarkum
    Jennifermarkum Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree, you do burn more on the eliptical. It is really your preference... I enjoy jogging and my husband has bad knees so prefers the eliptical.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I want to pick up my workout and get in more cardio, and I was thinking of buying my own elliptical machine or treadmill. Which one is better, is there much difference? Ellipticals seem to be cheaper so I'm swinging towards that.
    I'm not confident enough to go to a gym (all the gyms here seem really expensive too, 10 weeks memebership can buy an elliptical) and the roads around here are quite dangerous so it's hard to get out there and walk or jog.

I just got a Gold's Gym StrideTrainer 410 Elliptical for my birthday! I love that thing! I got it from Walmart!
    It has adjustable pedals...2 speed fan...heart rate monitor handles, and moving handles...iPod jack with built-in speakers...12 training levels & 12 resistance levels...AND an iFit card reader! It came with a demo iFit card. 8 minutes with my very own personal trainer, and I never had to do anything but stride....the resistance and levels were adjusted for me! I can stride forwards, AND backwards. $387. I am now going to purchase the Jillian Michaels iFit Fitness Cards (online). Each one has an 8 week fitness program. Each workout steps you up another level.
    Anyways.....I think an elliptical is best.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I did alot of elliptical at first.. nowdays I use a treadmill for whenever I want to run. It all depends on your tastes. If you're to run for long periods of time and are comfortable with that. Get a treadmill. If you have bad knees or want a cardio routine with fairly low impact on the legs go with an ellpitical.
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have both also, but I am in total love with my elliptical machine! My husband likes the treadmill because he runs. We have them set up side by side and we workout together. I like to mix my workouts up so I don't get bored. But when I only got a little bit to workout I jump on the elliptical to get a better, higher calorie burn in.