Which should I use ... HRM or Treadmill numbers ?

Options
After waiting a few weeks I finally got myself a HRM [Hui Jia KYTO HRM-2803] and used it for the first time today. :happy: After working out for 33 minutes on my treadmill [WESLO CROSSWALK 5.0 T], and comparing the numbers both the HRM and the treadmill gave me, I noticed a big difference in the numbers for both. :noway:

HRM = 488.59 cals
Treadmill = 210 cals

The treadmill doesn't ask whether I'm male or female, it doesn't ask my weight or age nor does it take into consideration my heart rate which my HRM does so I'm thinking the HRM would be correct ... but the difference is large enough to make wonder if that's the right decision.

Am I on the right track to record the HRM figures as the correct figures? Any thoughts and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• MeMountainMom
    MeMountainMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump....I haven't baught a HRM yet. I'm also using treadmill numbers and wondering if they are accurate enough. Big difference between treadmill and MFP site also.
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Use the HRM for sure!! It's much more accurate, especially if the treadmill doesn't calculate based on your weight.
  • Dimplybutt
    Dimplybutt Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Use the HRM for sure!! It's much more accurate, especially if the treadmill doesn't calculate based on your weight.

Thanks! :smile: That's how I was thinking, I just needed someone to give me the thumbs up so I knew I was on the right track. :flowerforyou:
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,339 Member
    Options

Thanks! :smile: That's how I was thinking, I just needed someone to give me the thumbs up so I knew I was on the right track. :flowerforyou:

My treadmill is alot higher then my HRM! So I use my HRM, for sure!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    HRM
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    After waiting a few weeks I finally got myself a HRM [Hui Jia KYTO HRM-2803] and used it for the first time today. :happy: After working out for 33 minutes on my treadmill [WESLO CROSSWALK 5.0 T], and comparing the numbers both the HRM and the treadmill gave me, I noticed a big difference in the numbers for both. :noway:

HRM = 488.59 cals
    Treadmill = 210 cals

The treadmill doesn't ask whether I'm male or female, it doesn't ask my weight or age nor does it take into consideration my heart rate which my HRM does so I'm thinking the HRM would be correct ... but the difference is large enough to make wonder if that's the right decision.

Am I on the right track to record the HRM figures as the correct figures? Any thoughts and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

I agree your hrm should be alot more accurate. Only issue I see is burning almost 500 cal in 33minutes is alot unless you were at a full out run. I'm 250 and male and I don't burn that many calories in 30mins keeping my heart rate around 75 to 80% of max. So if you are running at a very high pace and getting very close to your hr max then it may be correct, just that seems very high to me otherwise. If you are walking I would say your hrm is off. It may need some adjusting, as it is only as good as the info you put in. If your max heart rate is not correct the hrm will be off. Again I can't say for sure unless you gave more info on your workout such as speed, your age, weight, and if you had your pulse that would help to.
  • Dimplybutt
    Options
    HRM = 488.59 cals
    Treadmill = 210 cals
    I agree your hrm should be alot more accurate. Only issue I see is burning almost 500 cal in 33minutes is alot unless you were at a full out run. I'm 250 and male and I don't burn that many calories in 30mins keeping my heart rate around 75 to 80% of max. So if you are running at a very high pace and getting very close to your hr max then it may be correct, just that seems very high to me otherwise. If you are walking I would say your hrm is off. It may need some adjusting, as it is only as good as the info you put in. If your max heart rate is not correct the hrm will be off. Again I can't say for sure unless you gave more info on your workout such as speed, your age, weight, and if you had your pulse that would help to.

Being as this is my first time setting up and using a HRM, I could very well have the figures wrong, especially when it comes to the heart rate settings ... that was actually what concerned me the most when I was setting it up as I was going by the formula of ~ 226 - your age for women ~. I wasn't sure how correct that could be but the 182 is what I have set for my maximum heart rate. My resting heart rate, if I remember correctly, was 88 (I think that is a bit high but I think the excitement of the HRM was playing into that lol).

If it helps to figure out my settings or what may be going on IF it's recording too high, etc. my work out speed is 2.9-3.0, I'm 44 years old, 238 lbs, 5'5" and my heart rate was usually up to about 177.

Thanks for your time and help with this. :smile:
  • scottc561
    Options
    Being as this is my first time setting up and using a HRM, I could very well have the figures wrong, especially when it comes to the heart rate settings ... that was actually what concerned me the most when I was setting it up as I was going by the formula of ~ 226 - your age for women ~. I wasn't sure how correct that could be but the 182 is what I have set for my maximum heart rate. My resting heart rate, if I remember correctly, was 88 (I think that is a bit high but I think the excitement of the HRM was playing into that lol).

If it helps to figure out my settings or what may be going on IF it's recording too high, etc. my work out speed is 2.9-3.0, I'm 44 years old, 238 lbs, 5'5" and my heart rate was usually up to about 177.

One more question, your heart rate was at 177 for most of the workout?
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor for sure! :wink:
  • Dimplybutt
    Options

It seemed to be .. I'll be sure to watch it closer tomorrow ...

... there was just so much to watch that I had to stop watching it so I could actually get the exercise done at a sweating pace otherwise I was so busy trying to see my heart rate, the calories burning, the fat reading, how to save the reading, etc that I was slower than usual with raising my speed up to work out speed as I warmed up. :smile:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Wow! Lucky you! When I got my HRM, it was about 40% less than the numbers the treadmill was giving me. Good for you! Rock the HRM!
  • Dimplybutt
    Options
    Thanks to the other ladies for giving me your thoughts, as well ... it seems the mass majority agrees that the HRM numbers would be more accurate than my treadmill. :heart: :smile:
  • scottc561
    Options

Check this site out if you wish, it can give estimates of your calories burned. Of course it's not exact (unless you put exact info in). But playing with your numbers it says brisk walking (your weight and time)236 calories. Race walking=405 calories and I couldn't put in the info for running since your speed was 2.9-3.0mph and it only goes down to 6mph. But at 6mph you would burn about 997 calories, but that is twice your stated speed, so I don't know. You said your pulse was usually 177 which is about 97% of your max hr, if that is the case you probably did burn 500 calories in 33mins. I just would caution you to not push it to hard at that heart rate. Running at 95% of max is pretty tough on your heart for long periods. Of course this is just my opinion and I am not a doctor. I usually try to shoot for 70 to 75% of max for a good workout and fat burn. Very high cardio routines are not as ideal for fat burning.

http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/running/result?weightPounds=238&duration=33&activity=&met=8.0&submit=
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    HRM everytime as long as you put in all the correct data :smile:
  • Dimplybutt
    Options

Check this site out if you wish, it can give estimates of your calories burned. Of course it's not exact (unless you put exact info in). But playing with your numbers it says brisk walking (your weight and time)236 calories. Race walking=405 calories and I couldn't put in the info for running since your speed was 2.9-3.0mph and it only goes down to 6mph. But at 6mph you would burn about 997 calories, but that is twice your stated speed, so I don't know. You said your pulse was usually 177 which is about 97% of your max hr, if that is the case you probably did burn 500 calories in 33mins. I just would caution you to not push it to hard at that heart rate. Running at 95% of max is pretty tough on your heart for long periods. Of course this is just my opinion and I am not a doctor. I usually try to shoot for 70 to 75% of max for a good workout and fat burn. Very high cardio routines are not as ideal for fat burning.

http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/running/result?weightPounds=238&duration=33&activity=&met=8.0&submit=

Thanks so much! I will definitely check the site out. :)
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    depending on your treadmill, your heart rates should match, mine do
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't know that either are correct, although the treadmill numbers are a lot closer.

When walking on a treadmill (if you do not hold on to the handrails), is pretty simple to estimate calories burned--the arithmetic is not complicated and it should be easy to program into a treadmill console.

However, you have to input your weight to be even close to accurate. The other stuff--heart rate, age, gender, etc-- is NOT necessary for estimating treadmill walking calories.

If the treadmill does not allow you to input weight, then the calorie display is useless. It's meant more for entertainment value than anything else.

However, your HRM does not sound like it's an established brand name and therefore you have no idea if the algorithms it uses to estimate calories are even close to accurate.

At your weight, if you walk 3.0 miles per hour, no elevation, and no holding on to the handrails, you will burn 325-335 calories per hour.
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options

THIS. I would rather double check your HRM setup, as your heart rate, comparing with your age, means that you are in 100% of training zone most of the time.

You should target 70% or 80% for most of your cardio training (125-140 HR), to be in fat burning zone which also improve your aerobic capacity. you can go higher, but not all of the time.

check this out: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm

ETA: I'm your age and pretty fit, when I work out on treadmill for half an hour in 70% zone (125 heart rate), I burn no more than 120 cals
  • Dimplybutt
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. :smile:

Things are still the same as yesterday in regards to the HRM vs the Treadmill so will continue to do a weeks worth of investigative figurings to see about getting the correct figures for my Max HR, Resting HR, etc so that I can enter the numbers in correctly to the HRM ... I'm thinking that has to be where I'm going wrong here. :ohwell:
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    NEVER use the treadmill numbers. They are notoriously inaccurate. Use the HRM.