Need Beginning Walking Partner

Options
I am looking for a partner who wants to check in daily (mostly) so we can encourage each other to walk for exercise. I am so overweight, and so out of shape - I have to start at the BEGINNING. I walked around the block the other day, and was quite pleased with myself... then I come here and see people running 10 miles, or Zumba-ing for 90 minutes, etc. It discourages me. I know it's all baby steps - but I want someone to baby step with me!

So I am looking for a beginner walker to help motivate each other. If there are a couple of us, perhaps we could start a group? Set our goals that are realistic for US? Perhaps mini-challenges?

Any takers?

Replies

• skatters
    skatters Posts: 48
    Options
    *bump*

Is there really no one who is at the very beginning stages of exercise?
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    We all started with baby steps. Your not alone. There was a time a 15 minute walk took my breath way I was so out of shape. Each day got easier. Look into walking groups in your area. Opportunities to meet new people, share and support another, keep you motivated. I use Leslie Samsone tapes besides walking my dog. Found all over the world walking groups under AVA. Or look into your local community rec center. Someone to push you and challenge you. Meetup.com has groups just add your city zip code to locate the groups.I belong to Leslie Samsone walking group on this site.
  • paledi
    paledi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm in if you'll have me. I just had knee surgery 6 weeks ago and I really need to start walking. I am a beginner...trust me! I am finding it a challenge just to do stairs again! I may not be able to do long distances for a little while but I will certainly encourage you and do my best to motivate! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • kcarreno
    kcarreno Posts: 48
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well, My husband and I did one mile the other day (pushing our kids in strollers) and let me tell you, by the end...I thought I was going to collapse. My goal is to be able to do 5 miles by the end of this month...we are going on vacation and have a 5 mile hike planned! ahhhh, so I will definitely be encouraging you, as I have to keep motivated myself. My goal is one mile everyday, for the next week...then I am going to try to up it to two miles. I am also trying to add in the 30 day shred, but man it is tough :)
  • Art63
    Art63 Posts: 87
    Options
    Walking was got me started in this whole weight loss thing in the first place. I never intended to lose weight - just walk some to help make my blood pressure go down. One thing lead to another and weight loss just sort of seemed to happen. So, I wish you well. Like someone else said, take it slow and easy at first. Don't try to walk fast until months have gone by. The number of minutes you walk is much more important than how fast you go. If you can just do five minutes, do it. It's better than five minutes not doing it.

Keep a record of how many minutes you walk. Use this site or a simple piece of paper. It's great exercise. One tip - this sounds sort of goofy but there is a proper way to walk and an improper way. Form matters when it comes to proper strengthening of our body so you might want to check out some of the web sites that demonstrate what I mean. You sure don't want to cause damage to your knee, leg, foot, etc.

Enjoy! Hope you do well.
  • Neen9698
    Neen9698 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Im with ya girl. Im so out shape right now and with all my medical problems Ive had in the past 2 yrs its really hard. Ive gained SO much. Looking for ALOT of support. I start the gym in the moring when I get off work. Working nights does not help either. But very determined to get the weight off .