Getting over hurdle of weekly binge?? Advice?

Options
I do really well with the diet, calorie count spot on then I have one bad day of binging which spoiled it all...any good.advice?

Replies

• Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Forget it happened & start over again tomorrow.:ohwell:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Start fresh :] Its a new day

Figure out what is causing the binge and work to improve on it
  • Mommapea2012
    Mommapea2012 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that has lost almost 100 pounds she allows her Saturday to be her eat whatever she wants day. Maybe you could have a day like that?
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think there's no single way to approach this. You might consider what it is that's making you binge--is a certain type of food that you can't resist once it's in your sight? Is it boredom or anxiety eating? Are you eliminating so many of your favorite foods from your weekly meals that you need a treat? Once you figure out why you're blowing it one day a week (or so) then you can work on the solutions.

I can't say that I've had an unfettered binge episode but there are days where it's harder to use self control. When I'm tempted to eat something that I don't need but WANT (like potato chips, or a second serving of buttery garlic bread) I think of the calories and then what I will need to do to burn off those calories. I have taken things out of my mouth when my self-control kicked in just a tad too late.

I think being aware that this is an issue is an important first step. You're not trying to rationalize it or make excuses and that's important to working out a strategy.
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my hands busy and my mind off of food. So...I will pick up a book, go for a walk, call a friend, work on my crafts, play a game on the computer, etc. What ever you can do to keep busy and not think about what you should not be shoving in your mouth will help. Good luck to you!! :smile:
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Only buy in foods that are not going to be binge foods.

Maybe try to buy on a daily basis (if possible)

Plan your day in the morning and fill out your diary stick to it!!

You will fall off the wagon now and again, accept it, tomorrow is always another day :-)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    don't allow 1 day to turn into several days or 1 meal to turn into 1 day. Pick yourself up and move on from that moment. Best of luck to you.
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    I've just had a week-long binge so you're doing better than me! I just got fed up of being good and wanted to be naughty. I did log it all, though, and I am pretty sure logging it at least made me stop it from getting even worse! Just one day is nothing - i agree with the person who advised you to put it behind you.
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options
    Do you have an overeating disorder?

According to OA, if you answer yes for 3 or more of these questions, then it is highly likely that you have it:

1.Do you eat when you’re not hungry?
    2.Do you go on eating binges for no apparent reason?
    3.Do you have feelings of guilt and remorse after overeating?
    4.Do you give too much time and thought to food?
    5.Do you look forward with pleasure and anticipation to the time when you can eat alone?
    6.Do you plan these secret binges ahead of time?
    7.Do you eat sensibly before others and make up for it alone?
    8.Is your weight affecting the way you live your life?
    9.Have you tried to diet for a week (or longer), only to fall short of your goal?
    10.Do you resent others telling you to “use a little willpower” to stop overeating?
    11.Despite evidence to the contrary, have you continued to assert that you can diet “on your own” whenever you wish?
    12.Do you crave to eat at a definite time, day or night, other than mealtime?
    13.Do you eat to escape from worries or trouble?
    14.Have you ever been treated for obesity or a food-related condition?
    15.Does your eating behavior make you or others unhappy?

If you do, then OA's tools of recovery may be a good start.

http://www.oa.org/newcomers/tools-of-recovery/

FYI, I answered yes to each and every question and in particular, having a meal plan for the next day using MFP's logging system helps a great deal. I still have the occasional binge but it is not as bad as before.

Another thing I found useful was "substitute exercise" (mainly cardio) which I got from here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/herve9.htm

Good tips on the link above.

HTH!
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    One day of binging doesn't spoil everything! It's just one day. Use the selection that shows your entire weekly.monthly average and that usually puts things in perspective.
  • Alan_from_Wales
    Alan_from_Wales Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great.advice and links....really apprecaite it. :happy:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    when i'm having a bad day, i make sure i log *before* i eat. often, just putting that piece of chocolate into the tracker, reading the call, and thinking about whether i really want to do that is enough to stop me. on the odd occasion when it isn't, i do exactly what love4 suggests. one incident is just one incident. dust off and move forward with confidence.
  • nichi123
    nichi123 Posts: 244
    Options
    This happens to me sometimes and I feel so guilty afterwards. I dont know why I do it - i just do! Sometimes I go to actually put something in my mouth and then I stop and think 'This won't help me lose weight and be healthy' and I don't do it. That's how I stop myself. I do find that by having treats occasionally helps me so much as I don't crave these things so often. We all have binges and 'off' days but my advice is the same as what others have said...don't be disheartened, just start over!! Good luck!!
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    What calories are you on? Just wondering if you're feeling deprived which may then lead to the binge day?

Or is the binge day when you have night out or something like that? If so, I can sympathise! That happens to me too and I try to take the approach that if I'm on track 95% of the time then I should still be getting somewhere in the long run.
  • reske
    reske Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different but for me once I figured out what was my "trigger" foods & cut it out I got past it. What I mean is this if a person is what I call a food aholic (can go for awhile then just looses control) Sometimes replacing say a sugar craving with perhaps protein of pistacios will fill the bodies needs. For me ice cream was what would do me in. Like an alcholic I just can't have ANY because it just starts me off. So I just replace my craving for a sweet with somethingelse like dark chocolate. I like it and tried an even darker or entense chocolate one that slowed me down. It fills that need for a treat but is too strong to overindulge in. Once I curbed sugar all together and ate say dried fruits for sweets I've gotten over the cravings for alot of things. Filling up with fruits & veggies at meal times keeps me from getting hungry too. I've lost 34 lbs. in 3 months. Hang in there & keep at it we just have to learn to make the good choices for what our bodies crave.