help...good and bad of weight loss and quit smoking

Options
I quit smoking recently using Chantix...it works great and I have been smoke free for 2 weeks now; however - - - I've gained weight (about 2 lbs). Anyone else have these issues? How can I maintain my metabolism?? I'm currently following the Food for Life program...

Replies

• tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    exercise, exercise, and more exercise.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    You may be eating more than you were, or different stuff... you may need to exercise more... or maybe it changed your body chemistry and you can't lose weight on that. I was on a pill that I was really exercising, personal training, watching what I religiously for 3 mos, and could NOT drop a pound. I'm at a weight where losing a pound a week is not that hard. Well, after 4 mos of doing everything I could, changing things up, eating more, eating less, you name it, I tried it - I stopped taking the pill and within a week started losing weight again. So sometimes they can change your body chemistry and there's nothing you can do about it.
  • folsom1671
    Options
    I used chantex to quit as well and have not gained a pound i work out at the gym 3-4 days a week with 40 min of cardio and eat 1200-1400 cals a day u can do it i have been quit for 3 months
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My mom had the same problem. I think she was on it for 6 months and she gained about 20 lbs. Now that she's off it she doesn't have the munchies as often however she smokes again but not as much.

I think it's mainly that she had to replace the urge with another type ( food )
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain weight, but I couldn't lose any either for awhile after I quit smoking. Apparently there is a link between quitting smoking and the ability to lose weight. It isn't clear why there is a problem, but it may only last up to a few months. I've only been able to find a couple of articles about it on the internet.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: i stop smoking nine months ago this time it for good BUT I HAVE WENT UP TWENTY NINE POUND but keeping track now of what i eat keeps me on track
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on May 22 and the same day, started working on losing weight. I figured if I was actively trying to LOSE the weight, I wouldn't GAIN any. So far, so good.:bigsmile: