How to get rid of "thunder thighs" ??? help!

Options
I've always been very pear-shaped, and hid my weight well because of it. The last two months I've been getting very fit and eating a lot healthier, and have noticed the difference everywhere else on my body except my upper legs/thighs/butt.

Does anyone have any special workouts they suggest for this? Or foods to watch out for?

I currently do a jillian michaels video every day and some extra cardio throughout the week. My arms and abs and calves are definitely toning up but it's frustrating to see a flat tummy and then thighs that don't match! I'm 20 years old and 5'6"

Any advice is much appreciated! and if you'd like to add me as a friend I'm still fairly new to regularly using MFP so I can always do with some more friends to motivate and chat with :)

Replies

• zaqqity
    zaqqity Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! My calves are toning up nicely and even my stomach is starting to look good, but my thighs don't seem to budge. :/
  • amcharanek
    Options
    All you have to do is lift heavy, do some cardio if you'd like, and eat less. Your body will decide where the fat comes off first or last :)
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    RUN! :)

Squats and lunges.

There you go, girl :)

Yoga is great, too.
  • rockyluv88
    Options
    Not sure the truth in the saying but "firt to gain, last to lose" , me it's the opposite my thighs are slumming down but my stomach is being stubborn! I do a lot of leg lifts ie squats and lunges and have noticed a great change in my thighs. Can't hurt :)
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Ballet really worked for me. Squats/lunges/running/ yoga worked for me in the past but I can't believe the progress I've seen in my legs in the month of ballet I've done. I did the nyc ballet dvd volume one before I actually found a dance studio in my area, the only thing I didn't like about that is there's a lot of floor barre. I like to do the barre exercises standing up. Maybe you could youtube barre exercises? you just need a sturdy chair and your body weight! Lots of plies which are essentially squats but add in some releves, degages, passes, (not sure if I'm spelling all this correctly) but you'll feel it and see it.
  • hannp
    hannp Posts: 34
    Options
    Squats! Do them till it's not possible. Also wall sits. those are the two exercises that i can really feel working my thighs
  • sassika
    sassika Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump- I got big thighs, even so I lost weight from them , they will never be skinny , as I have quite muscle legs :( but still waiting for a miricule :)
  • Jgen62
    Jgen62 Posts: 66
    Options
    Sit butterfly style and add 10 pd to each thigh and lift up and down for a week. Then add 15 pd until you can do 20 pd on each thigh and lift up and down. It will help the inner and outer thigh shape up. You can also lay on your side and put weights on outer thigh and do leg lifts. Hope this helps.
  • ByrdMessy
    ByrdMessy Posts: 94
    Options
    Walking, walking, walking. I lived in Paris for 7 months, and having no car, I had to walk everywhere. That made the biggest difference. Making a lifestyle change, it makes sense that your body changes to be more appropriate for what you're doing with it. If you walk it everywhere, it'll reward you by making your body more aerodynamic and agile for walking. Same should go for running, but walking is less overwhelming and easier to maintain.
  • becjerami
    becjerami Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm not so convinced about all the advice to do squats etc. I read an article by a personal trainer about exercising for your body type which said that if you're pear shaped (which I am) then you probably already have quite a lot of muscle on your thighs and doing squats etc will only increase that muscle. The advice was to avoid weight training on the lower body and instead go for long cardio exercises, like walking or running. Obviously there are a million conflicting bits of advice out there but I have to say this makes sense to me.
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, and I have read a lot whilst waiting for 'the magic' to happen, you cannot spot reduce fat no matter how much you exercise in one part of your body. You can only tone up the underlying muscle which can improve the appearance of a general area, but the fat will shift in its own time as part of a general reduction in total body fat.

sigh!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    first your going to need Lighting and then just let it rain!!!! :tongue:
  • sassika
    sassika Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm not so convinced about all the advice to do squats etc. I read an article by a personal trainer about exercising for your body type which said that if you're pear shaped (which I am) then you probably already have quite a lot of muscle on your thighs and doing squats etc will only increase that muscle. The advice was to avoid weight training on the lower body and instead go for long cardio exercises, like walking or running. Obviously there are a million conflicting bits of advice out there but I have to say this makes sense to me.

I think I have to agree with you on this one, as I am worried my legs would get even more muscular throught weight exercise than they are now. I am doing a lot of walking and jogging and I hope it will improve my leg shape though that as they look already more toned than before.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I think I have to agree with you on this one, as I am worried my legs would get even more muscular throught weight exercise than they are now. I am doing a lot of walking and jogging and I hope it will improve my leg shape though that as they look already more toned than before.

Muscle is denser that fat girls.. So the more muscle you have on your legs, the smaller and slimmer they look. The less muscle you have, the smaller and flabbier you look.. Which would you rather have? Personally, I'll choose option one. The personal trainer who said that clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

To OP:
    I'm pear shaped too, and I've found squats/lunges and leg presses help a lot. Go as heavy as you can, eat a deficit and you will see results.
  • mousecat84
    Options
    As a pear also, this too is one of my areas of concern!

I am finding mine are going down, but it is not as fast as I'd hoped! I've been exercising for about 10 weeks, bootcamp 2-3 times a week and building up on the running on other days. Just did my first 5K and I'm sure what has made the most difference for me is the boot camp running and my own additional. No question though b/c has benefitted me in many other ways!

Good luck, and keep at your goal. I really want to try heavy lifting soon, it sure seems the way to go!
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Brazil Butt Lift®
    Get the perfect booty with the help of the "Brazilian Butt Master," Leandro Carvalho. This program works your butt from multiple angles with Leandro’s proven TriAngle Training method to reduce your hips, slim your thighs, and lift your butt.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Could you not just ask her to leave? :wink:
  • jessf23
    jessf23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ugh I definitely feel your pain! I've found that stripping down the weight first helps and then doing toning exercises slims them down. Lots of running as well! Hope you find something that works and share it once you do! x
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you focus on your whole body as opposed to your trouble areas. I hope that this is a lifestyle for you in that you want to do this long-term (the rest of your life).
    As long as you eat clean, do cardio and lift weights where you hit each body part your pear shape will change. Muscle burns fat and like another poster said and you can't spot reduce. And muscle takes up less space.
    In order to gain muscle, you'll have to lift heavy and 'no', you can't get bulky from lifting weights unless you take roids.
    It will take time, but stay consistent and you'll see results.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear shape too. I find I lose first in my abdominal area, then my arms & back, and finally my legs.

You will NOT get bulkier legs from weight lifting. I used to lift heavy. I loved squats, lunges, and dead lifts. I was still a pear shape, just was a pear shape in really good condition. My legs were the smallest they've ever been. I wore the smallest size pants I've ever worn. When I started running I lost the last few pounds I needed to get good definition in my legs. It just takes time to get to where you want to be.