Sore Calves

Options
Hi there

Everytime I try run/walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes at my gym class my calves get really sore, sore and stiff to the point were I cant even really walk on the treadmill! After a few minutes off the treadmill my calves are fine again and I am able to go on to other machines! My PT was helping run/walk in our training sessions outdoor and indoor but they never lasted longer than maybe few minutes at a time with other exercises in between so I dont know if my calves would hurt off the treadmill but I am sure they would eventually

I said this to my trainer today as he is aware I have asthma after my turn in the class on the treadmill and he said he thought it was my asthma that was slowing me down, but I explained to him about my calves and he said that I could either be flat footed or running from my toes!

Did anyone else have this problem at the beginning? I really want to start running and build myself up as I know it will be a good calorie burner and I would also like to start C25K but I dont want to do any damage especially when my calves hurt so much! Can anyone help me? In the next few months I am going to go get my feet analysed and get a good pair of trainers!

Thanks for anyones advice!

Trudy

Replies

• Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are very hard on the knees too. Are you stretching out before you get on the Treadmill. If not, you need to. You also need to stretch out after you get off from it.
  • deeray
    deeray Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Oh I so need an answer to this one too. But when Im on the treadmill, my shins and calves dont hurt too much. Its once I go outside and run on a track or something, they are on FIRE! My husband says I have to push through it. But how can I when Im out of breath from crying from the pain??

So on that note....BUMP
  • carterjerm
    Options
    I had same issue with calves.. ouch..

Do you have a roller? I had a trainer at that time and she said to roll out the muscle. This worked! No more sore calves.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Warm up first, then stretch. have one of the trainers watch to make sure your form is right. check your shoes--do they fit right? are they worn out? do you need inserts?
    also maybe some weighted exercises to build your calves with toe raises and so forth.
    If you're wearing heels every day your calves may be extra tight and trying to stay shorter like they are when you walk around in heels all day long. Try varying your shoe height if this is the case.

And any old excuse to get a massage! :wink:
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I doubt stretching will help that much.

When I first started running, I started in minimal shoes. I would have DOMS in my calves to the point that I looked like I was limping the next day. That's mostly subsided at this point. However, if any muscles on me are sore, it's probably my calves.

You may be able to improve performance by doing strength exercises that work your legs. Squats and leg curls might help.
  • fatboymax
    fatboymax Posts: 90
    Options
    I had the same problem. Then i started to use the stick. To massage all the scar tissue out of my muscles. i use it to warm up then to stretch it out after. no more soreness. it worked so well..check out the website.

https://www.thestick.com/
  • DaveCollinsgsy
    DaveCollinsgsy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Trudy

Sorry to hear about the soreness in your calves, i have the same thing and i am a personal trainer.i find the best thing to do is a longer warm up at least 8 mins of walking then up to a gradual faster walk. instead of going flat out on the treadmill on the days that soreness is really hurting i go for a slower walking pace but with an incline as well my heart rate still gets up and a good sweat on as well. also try doing some body balance / body flow this really helps with a good stretch in the calves as well. or even attend yoga classes but always say to the instructor about this issue.
    sore calves can be also be a sign of blood pressure issues maybe get a check over, loads of people have blood pressure issues without even knowing its always best to have a check over. good luck and keep up the good work :-)
  • trudy45
    trudy45 Posts: 83
    Options
    I do stetch and warm up before and after, I do wear heels, but not every day! My trainer said we will look at my form next week sometime and see what it is like and hopefully that will help a bit and failing that the last thing is new trainers!

And maybe a massage ;) lol x
  • trudy45
    trudy45 Posts: 83
    Options
    Hi Trudy

Sorry to hear about the soreness in your calves, i have the same thing and i am a personal trainer.i find the best thing to do is a longer warm up at least 8 mins of walking then up to a gradual faster walk. instead of going flat out on the treadmill on the days that soreness is really hurting i go for a slower walking pace but with an incline as well my heart rate still gets up and a good sweat on as well. also try doing some body balance / body flow this really helps with a good stretch in the calves as well. or even attend yoga classes but always say to the instructor about this issue.
    sore calves can be also be a sign of blood pressure issues maybe get a check over, loads of people have blood pressure issues without even knowing its always best to have a check over. good luck and keep up the good work :-)

I dont think my blood pressure is an issue as I have to get this checked once a month and it is always ok but I didnt know that could be an issue! I will try some yoga on my rest days at home and see if that helps any also, thank you :) x