For the 500,000 time EATING MORE WORKS

Options

Replies

• Just4Janet
    Options
    You are so right. I was a personal trainer and can remember telling a very obviously overweight client that he needed to eat more. I remember thinking to myself during our interview, as he was describing his current fitness efforts, "I can't believe I'm about to tell this obese man that he needs to eat more and more often." But, I did. He was scarcely eating anything and had just joined our gym, doing tons of cardio. I explained that when we are used to eating a lot throughout the day and then suddenly increase our activity level while cutting off our body's fuel supply, our body sees this as an emergency. The body naturally will hold on to fat for fuel reserve. What happens is muscle loss, not fat loss and that's not the result we're looking for in our efforts. I just recently bumped up my own caloric intake to 1500, also because I was nutritionally unsatisfied and felt run-down yesterday.
  • saxnviolin
    saxnviolin Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It worked for me! I increased my mfp suggestion of 1200 calories to 1400 and I've been losing steadily.
    At 1200 calories, I lost about 4 lbs in a month. Now, I see a steady loss every week.
    It's hard to eat more because we were always told to eat less in order to lose weight but
    if you are exercising, it definitely works. Thanks for the post.:smile:
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Ok I just don't buy it....everyone in this thread who had 'success' with upping their calories has less than a few pounds or weeks worth of proof. No long-term people (on this particular thread) are saying it worked for them...long term as in 20 pounds or over a few months. I have tried it...got stuck after losing 40 pounds on 1200 calls a day for 4 months...so tried 1450 for 2 whole months...lost 3 pounds in three days and not a half pound a month since then. I am actually back on here looking for motivation to kick back to the 1200 calls which worked for me....until a huge plateau. Which now I am wishing I had just worked through at the 1200. Ugh

So nope...doesn't work for everyone...give it time...it may work for way less people than you think.

You were looking for people who had done this successfully long term and I found it for you!! :)http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531086-before-and-after-pics-no-starvation?error_user_id=9613082&error_username=RachelSRoach1
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about all the acronyms, I keep it really simple. I try my very best to always NET at least 1200 calories. Some days that means I eat 1400 cals and others 1600 or more, but my net is always at least 1200. It works for me, and at just over 5 weeks, I'm still a newbie. Maybe down the road I will need to know those acronyms and how to calculate them, but for now the KISS method is working.
    I've been thinking the exact same thing. Anyone else?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about all the acronyms, I keep it really simple. I try my very best to always NET at least 1200 calories. Some days that means I eat 1400 cals and others 1600 or more, but my net is always at least 1200. It works for me, and at just over 5 weeks, I'm still a newbie. Maybe down the road I will need to know those acronyms and how to calculate them, but for now the KISS method is working.
    I've been thinking the exact same thing. Anyone else?

Here's the explanations -
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I never understood why people say they feel like they are starving on 1200 calories. I feel completely satisfied, eat every 2 hours, and always stay within my calorie range. PLUS, I've lost 68 pounds doing this for 5 months. I guess this just goes to show you that really everyone is different!

If you can feel satisfied on so few calories, why do you think you had so much weight to lose in the first place? Surely you had to have been eating way more than 1200 calories when you were gaining weight.
  • StephL0711
    StephL0711 Posts: 141
    Options
    next week my goal will be to actually NET 1200, i am always 100-150 calories. i also did not lose any weight this week so i will eat a little more to total the 1200 and see if that works...fingers crossed
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    For the past 4 weeks I was on 1200 calories a day. Last Sunday I upped them to 1400 a day after seeing all the threads about it. I actually can't wait for my weigh in tmorw morning.

For the last week I haven't been hungry once. I have eaten better and more healthy than I ever have my entire life. Even if I 'only' lose 0.5lb I will be happy. Any lose is a lose in my eyes and I defiantly go by the saying of slow and steady wins the race.

1200 calories, hungry, irritable, not happy and not easy long term (for me) or 1400 calories, no longer hungry, much happier, more energy and doable for the rest of my life....I know which one I would rather chose.

Just a quick thing though, I don't think I'm still eating enough? My BMR is 1658 and my TDEE 1989. Over the next couple of weeks do I need to increase until I'm between those two numbers?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Ok I just don't buy it....everyone in this thread who had 'success' with upping their calories has less than a few pounds or weeks worth of proof. No long-term people (on this particular thread) are saying it worked for them...long term as in 20 pounds or over a few months. I have tried it...got stuck after losing 40 pounds on 1200 calls a day for 4 months...so tried 1450 for 2 whole months...lost 3 pounds in three days and not a half pound a month since then. I am actually back on here looking for motivation to kick back to the 1200 calls which worked for me....until a huge plateau. Which now I am wishing I had just worked through at the 1200. Ugh

Nine months and 75 pounds lost. I had two weeks eating at 1490 about three months in (and was a miserable cow) The rest of the time has been eating at 1600 calories.

You're welcome.

I honestly don't argue with it. If people ask for opinions I give it. If people give wrong info I'll say something. But ultimately it's their life and their the one who is going to have the issues with it, not me. I'll continue being my awesome self eating a lot of food, lifting very heavy things and losing the weight.
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    For the past 4 weeks I was on 1200 calories a day. Last Sunday I upped them to 1400 a day after seeing all the threads about it. I actually can't wait for my weigh in tmorw morning.

For the last week I haven't been hungry once. I have eaten better and more healthy than I ever have my entire life. Even if I 'only' lose 0.5lb I will be happy. Any lose is a lose in my eyes and I defiantly go by the saying of slow and steady wins the race.

1200 calories, hungry, irritable, not happy and not easy long term (for me) or 1400 calories, no longer hungry, much happier, more energy and doable for the rest of my life....I know which one I would rather chose.

Just a quick thing though, I don't think I'm still eating enough? My BMR is 1658 and my TDEE 1989. Over the next couple of weeks do I need to increase until I'm between those two numbers?

Don't be discouraged if you get a gain initially - depending on how long you have been eating at 1200 it may take a while for your body to realise that this isn't just a blip and that you are going to be fuelling it with more food.

You may experience an initial water gain as your glycogen stores are replenished, but it will come off as long as you are eating under the TDEE.

When I first increased from 1200 to 1600 I planned to stay off the scales for a month to give i time to work, but I couldn't resist checking, and that first week I lost 2.5 lb. That was 6 weeks ago and I haven't looked back since.

I would also recommend taking your measurements and checking your body fat % so you can check progress.

Good luck.
  • kristi_asco
    kristi_asco Posts: 183
    Options
    i just upped my calories after reading a similar thread for yesterday, and i woke up this morning and already lost a pound! i definitely believe it works, and it's much easier to eat more and feel workout when you aren't so tired from not eating enough!
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    that's funny I just lost weight two weeks in a row (which I still don't consider "success" since I"m almost 2.5 YEARS at a standstill) eating less calories. Not less food, mind you, but less calories.
  • chelsealjames
    chelsealjames Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ok maybe you guys can help me...

I just increased my cals from 1200 to 1450 3 weeks ago. (I only have 10 lbs to lose :) I have noticed a small difference! But not a whole lot. I have a hectic schedule due to 12 hr nursing clinicals and 12 hr work shifts, so I only am able to work out 3-4 days a week for 30 minutes, and I do mostly strength training. Do yall think I should keep it here for a couple more weeks or do another increase?
  • ladyraven68
    Options
    Ok maybe you guys can help me...

I just increased my cals from 1200 to 1450 3 weeks ago. (I only have 10 lbs to lose :) I have noticed a small difference! But not a whole lot. I have a hectic schedule due to 12 hr nursing clinicals and 12 hr work shifts, so I only am able to work out 3-4 days a week for 30 minutes, and I do mostly strength training. Do yall think I should keep it here for a couple more weeks or do another increase?

What is your BMR and TDEE?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • chelsealjames
    Options
    BMR is 1373 and I'm not sure what TDEE is? 1574?
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    A LOT of people, including myself, are scared ****less of the thought of eating more but there are too many sucess stories out there claiming it works, so after a long struggle of my own, I have decided to give it a try, and if it works for me, I shall be shouting it from the rooftops!!!

Well done on your sucess!

Yup, this is how I am. When I exercise, I do eat back my cals, but just enough to get me over 1200. I think that I'm probably still restricting too much, but some days it's hard for me to find things to eat that aren't a waste of calories to get my numbers up. It's such a mind game.
  • ladyraven68
    Options

your TDEE would be much higher than that as you are an active person, not sedentary. ( I am assuming that you are on your feet all day at work as a nurse)

1373 x 1.55 = 2128.

deduct 20% for fat loss gives you 1702.
    or the flat calorie deduction of 500 calories for a lb = 2128 - 500 = 1628

Did you enter yourself as sedentary or active on MFP?
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    So just to absolutely clarify...if I'm increasing my cals from 1290 to 1400 - I should be eating all my exercise calories back to achieve 1400 NET. This is correct yes?

My BMR is 1429 and my TDEE is 2,386. I exercise 5 times a week. I'm 5'6" and age 53

Would appreciate someone clarifying this for me. Thanks.
  • Breezedew
    Breezedew Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    it's science and everyone is different.... I'd rather eat enough food to have my organs function the right way then deprive them because it sounds better if i eat 1000 calories... but thats common sense....
  • chelsealjames
    Options

your TDEE would be much higher than that as you are an active person, not sedentary. ( I am assuming that you are on your feet all day at work as a nurse)

1373 x 1.55 = 2128.

deduct 20% for fat loss gives you 1702.
    or the flat calorie deduction of 500 calories for a lb = 2128 - 500 = 1628

Did you enter yourself as sedentary or active on MFP?

I did lightly active, but I'm sure I need to adjust it. So, I should be eating 1700 plus my exercise calories?