Weight loss on vacation

Options
Please help...Looking for tips to staying on track while on vacation.

Replies

• joyharvey04
    joyharvey04 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, walk everywhere you go and pack healthy snacks....hope you have a great vacation!
  • rattler0812
    rattler0812 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Are you staying in a hotel? What's the lodging accommodations like? Based on where you go, there is a number of things you can do. Just depends on where you go. A little bit more detail and we can help you out with some ideas.
  • sdhd
    sdhd Posts: 13
    Options
    When I go on a beach vacation I get up and walk an hour on the beach before breakfast and try for at least another hour during the day.
  • amyreafleng
    amyreafleng Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's a family vacation. We are going to Texas, which is a 15 plus hour drive. We are staying one week. Unfortunately the hotel does not have a gym. They have a pool but its outside so might be cool yet. I plan to take the kids to the gulf which is a little over an hours drive from where we will be staying at least one day. I am very concerned about eating out every meal.
  • smb17
    smb17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Make salads your best friend. Just watch the salad dressing. I like to order mine with olive oil on the side and a wedge of lemon. Include the kids in your walk, rent a bike for the week, have fun "playing", frisbee tossing, hiking, and exploring new sights outside with your family! Good luck and have fun!
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm going back to my home town for a week and I just know that people will expect me to be unhealthy with them and I will have junk food dropped in front of me.
  • rattler0812
    Options
    Make salads your best friend. Just watch the salad dressing. I like to order mine with olive oil on the side and a wedge of lemon. Include the kids in your walk, rent a bike for the week, have fun "playing", frisbee tossing, hiking, and exploring new sights outside with your family! Good luck and have fun!

Bear in mind that if you look at the meals that you are given when eating out, those are generally a two serving meal. Don't be afraid to ask for a doggy-bag. Take your meal, divide it in half. Or split the meal with your husband. My wife and I could never do this because we can never agree on how to cook the food or what exact meal to order.

Also, if the hotel is multi-story (over 2 floors), then the stairs could make for a nice workout. Even 10 minutes of doing the stairs could be enough to jump start for the day your calorie burn.

I grew up in Corpus Christi, TX. So, the gulf offers some fun. But, like mentioned, include your kids. Run with them. Hike with them. What ever physical activity the kids want to do, do it with them. The kids will think of it as mommy-child time. But it will serve two purposes. Time you get to spend with your children and part of your daily workout. It will all pay off. Just be careful of the restaurants. Salads are great. But if you are not a salad person, like me, split the meal and share or take the other half back to the hotel with you. That's my opinion.
  • rattler0812
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I'm going back to my home town for a week and I just know that people will expect me to be unhealthy with them and I will have junk food dropped in front of me.

Stay strong despite what is put in front of you. Keep in mind the estimated calorie intake. But don't distance yourself from the interaction because of the food in front of you. Yes, you are most likely correct that the food will be far from healthy. But, if you have any say in the matter, make sure you get yourself something that is healthier than what everyone else is eating. Stay focused and you'll be fine.

And, in my opinion, a splurge day is not bad. If all of your other days have been under your calorie goal and you are dedicated to your workouts, you might be able to work off the extra in a couple of your regular workouts. Take a look under the reports at your calories over a 7- and 14-day period. Is the intake stable enough that you could allow a splurge day? But, even if you splurge for that ONE day, remember to get back on track the next day.