family has stomach bug Im scared to eat

Options
Hi My partner 2/3 of my daughter and my 2 inlaws have had sickness and bad stomach this week,I have suffered bad IBS D so since starting mfp its 80% better.
I am worried I will get the sickness bug and its not nice so I have 'gone off' eating ? I know its in the head but I only had 460 calories yesterday and I know this wont help me lose weight.

Whats the best thing to do carry on as normal or cut back for a few days I have had a bad tummy this morning but had my porridge?

Replies

• hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you eat normal, just because they have it doesn't mean you will and eating so few calories will not stop you getting it. So carry on as normal and wait and see what happens.
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Eat! sounds like your family have a virus which you may catch (viruses are airborne transmitters) eating or not eating will make no difference. I'd eat lots of fresh fruit and veg to help fight it off if you do catch it.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    eat things that will battle disease in your body, add them to your food, Garlic is great to keep your immune system healthy, Lemon is a great bacteria killer and Honey is a natural Anesthetic.

Echinaecea (don't really know how to spell it) is great as well. They sell this in the health food store, it's good to give your immune system a boost and great for upset tummies. There are really nice alternatives of it, some are foul tasting but some are really yummy.

I don't know much about IBS but I hope this helps
  • MrsDinkley
    Options
    Eat normally as long as you are feeling okay, drink lots of water and keep your fingers crossed that you don't come down with it.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I am kind of phobic about being sick and I do exactly the same when there is a sickness bug in the house.

Maybe its not the best thing to do but the fear of being sick is greater than the hunger or the possibility of setting my weight loss back, I recently went 48 hours without food and only took in fluids (bitter lemon and tonic water, full sugar kind) then started on water based soups. for another couple of days...I was the only one in the house of 5 plus daily toddler that didnt succumb to the bug.

I think you have to do what is right for you, try and get in calories some way, you'll need them to cope with being nurse to everyone else
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here & suggest that you start eating.
  • Yacki
    Yacki Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am a school teacher - this happens all the time where I work. Just eat as normal as possible or try to just eat lighter - stay away from greasy and spicey stuff.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I feel better for the porridge. As you said eat if Im going to get I will.............x
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Failing to fuel your body is the worst thing you could do with a potential contagious sickness around. You need to fuel your immune system so it could fight off the infection and prevent sickness. You've already been exposed, now let your body fight it by giving it the energy and nutrients it needs to do so!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is what will help you fight off any intruding viruses. By starving yourself, you will no doubt get it! Start eating!!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Failing to fuel your body is the worst thing you could do with a potential contagious sickness around. You need to fuel your immune system so it could fight off the infection and prevent sickness. You've already been exposed, now let your body fight it by giving it the energy and nutrients it needs to do so!

Oops...I am your paraphrasing parrot! :P
  • 20diane
    20diane Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    most importantly wash your hands before preparing food and eating to prevent any bugs entering the GI system
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Oops...I am your paraphrasing parrot! :P

pirate-and-parrot.jpeg

Good job!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Not eating is NOT going to help your body not get sick, and if you DO get sick it is going to make it harder for your body to overcome it.

You are shooting yourself in the foot here. Eat up!

And STAY HYDRATED. Your body's natural defense for sickness is to "flush it out" and the more liquid (water, preferably) you have in your system, the better.
  • turbophoenix
    Options
    I am kind of phobic about being sick and I do exactly the same when there is a sickness bug in the house.

^^This.

I'm an emetophobe (irrational fear of vomit/ing) so if there is a chance of getting a bug, I freak out. Though my inclination is to avoid food, I stick to things that are on the bland side. Oatmeal, non citrus fruits, etc. I also make sure to wash my hands as much as possible to reduce the chances that I'll get it. Sometimes you can avoid it, sometimes you can't. Hopefully it will leave you alone!
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys didnt get it gladly ate normal cal intake next few days lost 1lbs so Im going to stick at eating if theres sickness in the house as you say I need to fuel my body