So is steel cut oatmeal the best?

Options
I have seen a lot of oatmeal topics today, so I thought I should post mine:) Is steel cut oatmeal the best?And what brand do you think is best? I use quick oats now, but before I used instant oatmeal.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    best for what?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is the best. It beats all the other foods. All the other foods are jealous.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I like the texture of it a lot better. It's chewier, and more satisfying for me.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i have heard it tastes nastier..but what do you mean best ? best for taste, health, to give you superpowers ? :wink:
  • emily115
    emily115 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    lol, I meant for health.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    They have more fiber, which is better for your health but they take longer to cook. I like them. :flowerforyou:
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    Supposedly, the body burns it at a slower rate than rolled oats, making it a more complex, complex carbohydrate. I certainly think it tastes better (I toast the oats before cooking) and make it in large enough quantities that I can grab a container in the morning, toss it in the microwave for 80 seconds, and eat it on my way to work. I have it probably 5-6 days a week.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I haven't cooked any in awhile, but I need to get some again. I usually buy Bob's Red Mill. Steel cut oats have protein and iron, something that gets processed out of instant.

There are recipes for overnight oatmeal in a crock pot. I usually make a batch on the stove and eat it throughout the week. Unflavored they remind me of really stout grits.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    . Steel cut oats have protein and iron, something that gets processed out of instant.

not true for all instant oats
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It is definitely more filling so you're not hungry an hour later... I usually buy it from the bulk bin at my local store so I don't know the brand...

I'll even give a recipe:

Single serve container of plain greek non-fat yogurt (or other plain yogurt of your choice)
    1 mashed banana
    whatever other fruit you want to add (I personally like frozen cherries best! but apples, peaches, berries or whatever you like are also good - fresh or frozen)
    1 TBSP sugar free torani syrup (or other sweetener/flavoring of your choice)
    1/4 cup raw steel cut oats

Mix together and keep in fridge overnight (so the oats get soft). Eat.

This is super filling so you might want to divide it into 2 servings - especially if you add a lot of fruit.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    They taste way better than normal oatmeal! You can do them in the crockpot over night. 1 cup oats, 4 cups of water, on low for 7-8 hours.
  • TerrJohns
    TerrJohns Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sooooo much better than instant oatmeal ! So much that I've eaten them plain or just with a light sweetner when I've hoarded calories for later meals. I've favored Bob's Red Mill.
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Mix some peanut butter in with your oatmeal! Its great!
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    it takes a long time to cook...you should presoak it

tried the bob redmill one and made it with milk and it was ok once you add some cinammon, raisins, and walnuts to it

i tried to make it with water...and ew..is all i can say.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    It is definitely more filling so you're not hungry an hour later... I usually buy it from the bulk bin at my local store so I don't know the brand...

I'll even give a recipe:

Single serve container of plain greek non-fat yogurt (or other plain yogurt of your choice)
    1 mashed banana
    whatever other fruit you want to add (I personally like frozen cherries best! but apples, peaches, berries or whatever you like are also good - fresh or frozen)
    1 TBSP sugar free torani syrup (or other sweetener/flavoring of your choice)
    1/4 cup raw steel cut oats

Mix together and keep in fridge overnight (so the oats get soft). Eat.

This is super filling so you might want to divide it into 2 servings - especially if you add a lot of fruit.

Bump Bump. That sounds good. My mom eats this kind. I never knew any groovy ways to make it. :wink:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Ok who spilled the beans about oatmeal giving us superpowers? That was supposed to be a secret guys....
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ....cook a cup of dry steel oats at a time...keep in fridge and microwave when in the mood. Tastes as good as a dessert to me.
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wow that recipe wit the yogurt sounds good.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes they are the best. I like all brands. Eating steel cut oats will give you superpowers. Just be respectful of this and don't use your new found powers for evil. That would be wrong. :wink:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    they take 8 years to cook though.

i made the mistake of trying to make steel cut oatmeal once in a microwave at my old job one morning. when i said i was going to make oatmeal people were thinking i'd be back in 2 minutes max.. nope it was more like 10-15 cus i have to keep adding milk and mixing it and making sure it was fully cooked.

it was good though, but what i did for the future was just cook a batch of it at home and then take some of it with me to work so all i'd have to do is heat it