waist measurement misery

Options
Hey there, just wanted to vent really. I'm sitting here crying like an idiot right now because of stupid number...

I just took my waist measurement for the first time in years and instantly remembered why I'd been avoiding that for so long... It's almost 28 inches.. Now I *know* that at a height of 5'10 this isn't bad at all but ten years ago (I'm 28) I had a waist of 24-25 inches. And that's still what the so-called ideal is.. It's just so unfair that by being tall, you're automatically larger than the average-height woman. Even if I slimmed down 20lbs (which will never happen, again that's something I had 10 years ago, and at the moment I'm struggling to not gain weight) I'd still be 'large', never a slender petite frame. :( It's so f***ing frustrating...

Replies

• jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    it could be worse.....i'm 5'8" and just got down to 35" (was nearing 40" at the beginning of the year!") I think that last time I was 28" was 8th grade :P
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Forget about 'ideals.' They don't exist. We're all unique in shape and size. You are no longer an adolescent. You are a fully grown woman with a woman's body. Embrace it, and work on being the best you can be for YOU, not some arbitrary notion of perfection.
  • Mskraizy
    Mskraizy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel you. But it's not just being tall either, some people are just built with larger frames. I'm 6 ft and I've been told i have a small frame judged by my wrist. There is such a thing I never knew about. Just be healthy for your specific body. Don't worry about being an "ideal" because "ideals" change every year.
  • cbush0315
    cbush0315 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am 5'11" and when I was 18 I had a 25 inch waist... I'm only 22 and I ended up with a 34 inch waist when I decided to lose weight... I would honestly LOVE to be at 28 inches. I loved my body then. That's my goal size now.
  • cat_1977
    cat_1977 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would cry with happiness if my waist were 28 inches. Just goes to show we're all built differently and have different ideals of what the "correct" measurement should be.

I'm not sure if you've ever given Jillian Michael's 30 day shred a go but if your'e really miserable and want to see a few inches disappear i'd highly recommend it.

Otherwise, know that at 28 inches you are miles away from being big or heavy around the middle. You're a woman now and though very hard to accept, the shape you had as a teenager is not designed to last into your 20s.

Dry those tears my dear and please don't be so hard on yourself x
  • Thesis_gut
    Thesis_gut Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Forget about 'ideals.' They don't exist. We're all unique in shape and size. You are no longer an adolescent. You are a fully grown woman with a woman's body. Embrace it, and work on being the best you can be for YOU, not some arbitrary notion of perfection.

Thank you pinuplove.. your post just made me bawl again. I know it's stupid to cling on to these imaginary ideals, I just can't help it sometimes. I suppose having had an ED when I was younger doesn't help, some of those sick notions of how nice it would be to look sickly thin still haven't gone away.
  • Thesis_gut
    Thesis_gut Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, know that at 28 inches you are miles away from being big or heavy around the middle. You're a woman now and though very hard to accept, the shape you had as a teenager is not designed to last into your 20s.

Dry those tears my dear and please don't be so hard on yourself x

Thank you..!
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    My waist is 28/29" and i'm 5ft 5. I'd say you were very lucky to be tall and have a waist my size! :) I wish more than anything that mine was smaller :(
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Im 5'7 and get to watch all the guys coo over petite little 'girly' things. Forget about the numbers because for a taller person comparing themselves to what someone short has just isnt right. If you want to go on something let it be ratios
  • cat_1977
    cat_1977 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    PS - I love love love your profile pic. Currently sitting here staring at my methodology chapter wondering will I ever get this damn PhD finished and more importantly will I manage it without ballooning out to the size of a whale.

Somebody told me the other day that Fat and Finished is still better than Not Finished. Scared the bejaysus out of me!

Friend me if you like Thesis-*****ing!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, healthy weight...and my waist is 28 too! I'd love to be 24, don't get me wrong, but I still think my body is beautiful exactly as it is and you should appreciate what you have...because I've been told my many that I have a tiny waist.

Hugs from Ireland x
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I am only 5'2" and my waist is now at 38inches....I used to have an 18inch waist 15yrs ago but I know I will never be that small again b/c I was 18 yrs old then & have since matured & w/2 kids I have widened somewhat...But I would love to get down to 28"...With your height I would think that 28" is a good number....I am very short & 28" wouldn't be too bad for me...Try not to stress so bad over a number... :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I use to have a natural waist of around 38 inches or so, now its 31 inches, my waist around the navel use to be 45 inches or so and is now 35 inches. I'm very happy where I am. (I have a large bone frame) My favourite was my hips. From 51 inches to 38.5 inches!!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options

Love this!
  • MADDIESMOMMY6611
    MADDIESMOMMY6611 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I understand I'm stuck at 33 inches and I used to have a 27 inch waist. I'll be happy when I see 29 lol.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" My waist is like 29 1/2" I really doubt I will get that much smaller. I am proud of where I am at. I wear size 8 (they are big on me so probably could wear a size 6). I like being tall. I think I look proportionate. I am not meant to be petite. I never have been. I rather look athletic anyway. :)
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    It's just a number...!!!

If u look good to you, that's as amazing as it can be. Having a little flesh never hurt anyone. In fact, being stick thin is something no one aims for. No one I know, at least.

U r awesome. Always remember that. Never let a number decide your mood. :)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and a healthy weight and my waist is 28.5 inches, and I look pretty good! At 5'10" I would think 28 inches is pretty darn small!! Don't focus on numbers - focus on improving yourself! Enjoy the process.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Thank you pinuplove.. your post just made me bawl again. I know it's stupid to cling on to these imaginary ideals, I just can't help it sometimes. I suppose having had an ED when I was younger doesn't help, some of those sick notions of how nice it would be to look sickly thin still haven't gone away.

((Hugs)) I truly hope you can work those feelings from when you were younger! You are definitely far from big with that waist at your height :smile: I would be happy there, and I'm 4.5 inches shorter!