That darn sweet tooth!

Options
I personally am not someone for salty foods. I don't care for chips, etc.... When it comes to sweets though, whew! I can eat sweets all day long. I have now kept them out of my house but I want them so bad. Does anybody know how to get rid of those cravings with healthy alternatives?

Thanks y'all! :)

Replies

• san_dee
    san_dee Posts: 3
    Options
    When sugar is calling me (I don't keep treats in the house any longer) I make a fruit smoothie. Right now I'm drinking a smoothie made with 200 grams of frozen cantaloupe, 1 tablespoon of unsweetened shredded coconut, 4 oz of milk and some sparkling water (enough to fill up my blender cup and puree everything - so about 6 oz). All that and it's only 23 grams of sugar (high yes, but it's all natural) and 143 calories.

Sometimes I buy smart one's desserts too. The turtle sundae only has 130 calories in it.

I prefer the smoothie to a low cal dessert because I'm trying to cut out added sugars and replacing them with natural sugars for the time being. I know eventually I'll need to pare back on sugars that are natural as well, but it's a small step at a time for me right now.
  • FitFoodieMomBillie
    FitFoodieMomBillie Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    MMMM I fall victim to both, depending on the day.

For sweets, try a protein bar .. they make them with desserts in mind.... like the Cliff bars (mint chocolate is super yummy as an evening snack) and Zone Perfect (just had fudge graham for 210 calories, 14g protein, 23g carbs, 7g fat.) If you are looking for just a bit of sweet though with a ton of protein, try the pure protein bars. The chocolate deluxe is enough when you haven't had real chocolate in a while. My protein shake is also tripple chocolate so that can help! And if you use vanilla, you can add pure coco powder to it for a chocolate flavor without adding too much calories and sugar. Also, if you have vanilla protein powder, add fresh mangos to your blender. They are SO sweet and juicy, it is like a treat, but they are good for you; one of the best fruits you can eat, but keep in mind they are carb heavy so make it your big carb splurge for the day if you are monitoring that. Or try a rice cake with fat free cream cheese and a spot of sugar free jam. I think the big thing when it comes to "sweets" is to try to stay away fromt he processed sugary stuff that doesn't have any redeeming nutritional value! And moderation. All things in moderation!

AND if you can monitor yourself and like to cook, you can try some of the goodies found here: http://www.dashingdish.com/category/recipes/desserts/
  • mommy2girlies
    mommy2girlies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Heres a link to a chocolate lava cake, I got it from a post on here, it is darn good! And 104 cals.

http://www.recipebridge.com/g/221/9526938167/single-serve-chocolate-molten-lava-cake

Also, I do the fiber 1 brownies, and I also like making smoothies (although when I need something chocolate, a smoothie doesn't cut it!)
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone. These are some great ideas. One question.... if I were to eat a "desert" protein bar, would the protein in it give me a full sensation? Thanks!

**Cause if I'm not full.... I want more!
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone. These are some great ideas. One question.... if I were to eat a "desert" protein bar, would the protein in it give me a full sensation? Thanks!

**Cause if I'm not full.... I want more!

What I do, and I'm so full after this it's amazing, is combine:

2 scoops protein powder (one serving of protein powder)
    1 cup almond milk (or skim, but almond is only 35 cals a cup!)
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder (Or PB2, or both if you can allow the cals!)
    1/2 a banana (or 1/2 cup greek yogurt, add 4 drops stevia if using yogurt)

Blend, blend, blend! Throw in the freezer for 1/2 hour, stir, freeze another 1/2 hour, and you've got soft serve! So yummy and delicious, like ice cream!

That's not all! I break apart a protein bar and mix it in like a blizzard! It's the best sweet tooth killer ever!
    My personal recipe comes out to about 405 calories but it's the size of a medium blizzard; about 12 ounces!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Red seedless grapes seem in season now. They are so sweet, they satisfied my craving.
    Also good for the chocolate cravings are the no sugar added fudge bars. Only 40 calories!
    I also do a lot of cottage cheese with honey on it.