Late Night Eater

Options
Good Morning Everyone,
My biggest problem is eating in the middle of the night. I wake up completely famished and I usually go for something that I will regret later. I need some help! Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone else go through the same thing and how do you handle it? I'm also looking for more friends who can motivate me. Thanks.

Replies

• WilliamsJJ86
    Options
    I'm right there with ya on that!! I normally get the munchies about 10-11 at night. So I started to wake up earlier and get to bed earlier to help with those cravings and also green tea is what I've been suggested and so far it works. I'll add ya as a friend and help keep you motivated. That was the same issue I had before I started really getting into MFP.
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    I have this problem too! I heard you're not really supposed to eat after 8pm... but most nights I'm up until past midnight and It's the only time that I snack with an absent mind!
    Sorry I'm no help, I'm just in the same boat
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't have much advice except to say, if you have the calories, it shouldn't matter. If you are consistently going over your calories, then it is going to be an issue. Is there another reason why you keep waking up at night? I can go to sleep starving, and not be bothered at all through the night as long as I am asleep. Maybe there is another reason you continue to wake up, and perhaps you should see your doctor about it.

I'll also add that while I do believe you should eat the bulk of your calories during the day, I don't buy the hype that says you won't lose if you eat late at night. I hear everywhere not to eat after 9, 8, 7, or even 6pm. Rubbish. I had supper last night (a good 300-400 calories), at around 9:30 and I was down this morning when I weighed in. If you are staying under your calorie goal you should still be losing.
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    If this is a regular thing, I'd suggest working it into your daily calorie goal and have something in the fridge you allow yourself to have - cup of yogurt, raw veggies, a piece of toast - whatever works for you. The trick is to eat it slowly, enjoy every bite, then go back to bed. You burn calories 24/7, so a reasonable snack in the middle of the night shouldn't be a concern.
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! I heard you're not really supposed to eat after 8pm... but most nights I'm up until past midnight and It's the only time that I snack with an absent mind!
    Sorry I'm no help, I'm just in the same boat

It doesn't matter when you eat as long as you maintain a calorie deficit by the time you go to sleep :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want. It makes no difference. If you dont have digestion issues (heartburn) just plan for it. I typically eat 3/4 of my calories at night. Often chewing my last bite as I walk to bed.

Dont let the clock dictate your feeding, just maintain your calorie deficit.

-M
  • Jelio13
    Jelio13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I usually get hungry right before I go to bed and don't like to go to bed hungry. I've been eating the Caramel Rice Cakes, they are delish! I also have some beef jerkey that is low in fat and not too many calories. Drink alot of water too, that might help.
    Keep up the good work! Jelio13 Jennifer
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I also reserve calories for those late night cravings and I have lost weight. Usually yogurt or cereal does the trick for me.
  • degausspdx
    degausspdx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you're waking up famished, a bit of protein before bed is a good idea. A couple of sticks of sting cheese, maybe a handful of nuts? Light snack, not heavy and count the calories. I used to get low blood sugar in the night and my Dr recommended a protein snack before bed to help prevent that. I sleep soundly and my blood sugar is much more stable from it.