Elliptical vs treadmill?

Options
13»

Replies

• MomOfJoey
    MomOfJoey Posts: 58
    Options
    Am I the only one who gets dizzy on the treadmill? Something about the disconnect between the body's experience of walking and the visual field not moving. Then, when I get off, I feel queasy. Thus, I have an elliptical and I love it. No joint pain, no dizziness, lots of calories burned in the half hour I allot to do cardio.
  • Mbond74
    Mbond74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh, definitely on my wishlist...wish I could afford one!! :-) (oops, dropped the quote! I meant the bowflex treadclimber)
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My vote: elliptical, but a good one. That's the problem. You can get a cheap one for a few weeks worth of gym membership, but it likely won't last. I'm also assuming that the people who say an elliptical bothered their joints were using one with a small cheap flywheel. Crappy one's will "drop" at the bottom of each stride, and that hurts, and feels awkward. Before plunking down the cash, see if you can try it out for a reasonable period of time. Second hand on craigslist is always good, but be sure to practice buddy-safety when buying, esp. b/c you'll likely have to go to someone's home to pick it up.

Edit: oh yeah, i'd love a bowflex treadclimber, but my knees can't handle it. when they first came out (early 2000's), my gym in SoCal had one, it was constantly broken, but i did love the mega workout in a short time.
  • EndofEternity
    Options
    You just have to try it for yourself. I can get just as much work out of either one but the elliptical hurts my back where as the treadmill hurts my legs. It's sort of a pick your poison for me.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    We bought the Nordic ET but later got a Nordic x9i and I luv this machine! Burns calories faster, has more variety & challenging on-board workouts..
  • TreadmillRobert
    Options
    The myfitnesspal treadmill users group has 8 members. The elliptical users group has 320 members. That tells you something.

Here's a good article on the differences between using an elliptical vs. using a treadmill -- http://www.treadmill-world.com/which-is-better-treadmill-or-elliptical.html