Protein shakes - Bad for weight loss?

Options
My husband was making me one of his protein shakes after each of my workouts for me, but has stopped, because he said that the packages says its not to be used if you are trying to lose weight.

Is this true? You can't have a protein shake if your trying to lose weight?? Either way, it doesn't really bother me - I've made my own shake with flax seed, greek yogurt, frozen OJ and frozen berries. Just curious!

Replies

• Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Can't say I've noticed a weight gain. I take a protein shake everyday after my Insanity workout. I've almost finished the tub so perhaps won't bother to buy another one ;)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    How many calories is it? My protein shake only has 140 calories. If it is a body builder type of shake, it may have a crazy amount of calories in it. Read the label and see what it says.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its scientifically correct, but i personally have one for breakfast with oatmeal after my morning workout and I'm not gaining...I am including them in my calorie count for the day! :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    So many variables missing to be able to answer you. What kind of workouts are you doing? Strength or cardio? What protein shake is it he was using? What are your goals. Are you jsut trying to lose weight or wanting to maintain lean mass? If you want to share that info, a more informed opinion can be offered.
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    I don't remember the exact amount of calories, but the powder, plus some peanut butter and skim milk was around 150 calories. Its around the same as the yougurt / oj that I'm making now. So I don't think its a matter of the calories... I was thinking it was more an issue with what is inside... But then that doesn't make sence because then I wouldn't be able to eat a piece of chicken, because that has protein in it..... Maybe he just doesn't want to share his protein shake with me!!!! lol
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Mine's 118 calories and I add it to my food log on here.
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    So many variables missing to be able to answer you. What kind of workouts are you doing? Strength or cardio? What protein shake is it he was using? What are your goals. Are you jsut trying to lose weight or wanting to maintain lean mass? If you want to share that info, a more informed opinion can be offered.

I do the elliptical and treadmill for 60 minutes each day, and then do a kettlebell routine thats about 20-30 minutes. I don't know what type of shake it is exactly, just that its protein. My goals are to lose weight (about 20 lbs), but to tone up too. No more "skinny fat" for me!!!!
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you mix it with a water for a smaller calorie intake, is fine. I'm drinking protein shakes at least 2x a day,, but i'm also working out a lot and I'm losing weight, not gaining. It comes down to carbs, how many you take a day, if you lose our gain, not on protein. Protein is important to maintain your muscle mass
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    I agree. I get my highest protein from the protein shakes I drink. It's worth 24. Maybe I will be buying another tub afterall. LOL
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    That is put on the label do people don't substitute it for meals all the time. Protein will only help in the process. Don't forget people need a reminder of what they should and shouldn't do.... Like the warnings on a bleach bottle not to drink .. Lol
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    It's excess calories not protein shakes that cause weight gain. If any shake fits into your allotted calories, then your gold.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the exact amount of calories, but the powder, plus some peanut butter and skim milk was around 150 calories. Its around the same as the yougurt / oj that I'm making now. So I don't think its a matter of the calories... I was thinking it was more an issue with what is inside... But then that doesn't make sence because then I wouldn't be able to eat a piece of chicken, because that has protein in it..... Maybe he just doesn't want to share his protein shake with me!!!! lol

Highly unlikely you came in at 150 calories.... most powders are about 140 a scoop, 1 tbsp of peanut butter is 100, 8 ounces of skim milk is 90... so you're well over 300 right there, assuming those amounts.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with protein shakes - I usually have one a day, a single scoop with soy milk as a snack. Maybe once a week I will make a breakfast from it, with two scoops and a banana and some peanut butter (love those personal blenders!), which is a touch above 500 calories but it's the entire meal.

The only thing to be careful regarding them is to not over-do them. There is a heck of a lot more in there than protein (creatine, arganine, glutamine, blablablabla....) and no one has really studied what happens to your body if you start consistently maxing out the intake of those supplements. Oh, and too much protein can also bring on gout, though that may be too much information!..

So have your shake-a-day but be realistic about how many calories you are truly consuming.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I do the elliptical and treadmill for 60 minutes each day, and then do a kettlebell routine thats about 20-30 minutes. I don't know what type of shake it is exactly, just that its protein. My goals are to lose weight (about 20 lbs), but to tone up too. No more "skinny fat" for me!!!!

So, a couple of observations that may be helpful. You are very heavy cardio with a little strength. You might lean down faster if you backed off about 25% on the cardio and did more strength training specifically with weights. There are a couple of beginer strength programs you can find that will help you if interested. One is Stronglifts 5X5 and the other is Starting Strength. The Stronglifts guy is very verbose. Don't let that put you off. The program is great and has a simple easy to use iPhone app that's free I think (?) You won't lose weight as fast. But you will maintain more lean muscle and lose fat and inches.

Which protein shake makes somewhat of a difference. The key things you want to look for are how many grams of protien and how grams of carbs. You want the highest protein and the lowest carbs. A couple that I have used are Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard and Myofusion. Both have about 24 grams of protein per scoop, less than 10 grams of carbs and about 130 or 140 calories. There are some that have higher carbs and higher calories and are for people who are trying to build mass with lifting.

Truthfully, unless you are having trouble hitting your protein goals for the day, the protein shake supplement probably is unessary for you. However, if you do more strength training, they can be very helpful in helping your muscles recover from that training. Best of success meeting your goals!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have drank protein shakes for a while and never had weight gain issues but some protein powders do have a lot of calories and fat in them.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i would say it would affect weight loss if you take them in addition to what you were eating already, as extra calories are extra calories regardless of where they come from. its worth looking into the nutrition content of different brands, some have just protein and pretty much zero fat / carbs / sugar, some have added carbs as they are intended for people trying to gain.

the lowest calorie way to make them is with water (around 100 cals per 25g scoop), but i make mine with milk for the extra calcium so they come out around 200 cals. I would have drunk the milk anyway so i might as well use it to make my shakes tastier lol

if you work them into your calorie allowance, i cant see a problem. I have them a few times a week on days i dont get enough protein from my meals, or as a breakfast when im in a rush, and this hasnt affected my loss at all.
  • snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey, has anyone tried "Garden of Life, RAW Protein, Beyond Organic Protein Formula"? It seems to have less calories than most protein powders and 17 grams of protein. Does it taste gross?
    Thanks
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i love my protein shake. I drink it after cardio. also helps me with my protein intake for the day....and i see inches lost!!!!
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Hey, has anyone tried "Garden of Life, RAW Protein, Beyond Organic Protein Formula"? It seems to have less calories than most protein powders and 17 grams of protein. Does it taste gross?
    Thanks

I've not tried it but I'm on reading an ebook on becoming lean and the author recommends this brand.

To the OP I think your hubby is trying to hog the good stuff ;)
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Surely it does not mastter how many calories are in it as long as it is taken within your daily targets.
  • joymarino
    joymarino Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was something specific about that type of shake? I personally do not take protein shakes, but meal replacement shakes and always come in low on the calories...but of course it depends on what you add to it as well. Maybe he can enlighten you as to what he learned that taught him that? If you are getting results with what you were doing, why stop? ;)