Weight loss at 45.

Options
2»

Replies

• DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time too. I am 47. I know it is hard work and working out more. Deirdre you are right. I need to stop making excuses for my age and just start doing it. I started today with a 3.5 mile walk and some sit ups and leg lifts today. I know will get instant results and feel better tomorrow.

Congratulations on a great start! But, lol - instant results may be asking a bit much - it took me months to lose the 40 pounds extra I was carrying. And you may be a bit stiff tomorrow - but don't let that stop you. Stay consistent and the results will show.
  • bambee2013
    bambee2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    YOU INSPIRE ME DEIDRE. IT JUST TAKES WORK. I AM 47 YEARS OLD AND KEEP MAKING EXCUSES. I JOINED A GYM AND GOING TO WORK OUT 4 TIMES A WEEK. EVERY TIME I GO I AM GOING TO DO CARDIO AT LEAST 30 MINUTES AND WEIGHTS EVERY OTHER DAY. I AM GONNA THROW A YOGA AND ZUMBA CLASS IN THERE SOMEHOW. I JOINED A WOMANS GYM AND I LOVE IT. I AM JUST CREATING A SCHEDULE. GONNA REWARD M SELF AT THE END OF THE WEEK
    WITH A JACUZZI. THEY SAID MY BODY FAT WA 39%. NO SURE IF THAT IS CORRECT, BUT IT IS SURE GOING TO MAKE ME
    WORK OUT MORE. I HAVE SOME HEALTH ISSUES, AND I AM SURE THIS LIFE STYLE CHANGE WILL CHANGE THAT FOR
    THE BETTER.
  • angelovearth
    Options
    I found it helped me to do the eat smaller meals more often method. This helps keep your metabolism up, and hunger cravings down. Currently I eat a small (400-500 calorie) meal every three hours.
    That would be perfect unless you are female, short and in your mid-40's. In that case, two and a half meals in (ie:less than 9 hours) and you'd be out of food/calories! LOL!

Seriously, though, I'm reading the responses because I have the same concerns. I'm 44 and although I have been able to lose a small amount of weight thus far, I'm concerned about trying to learn to live within my calories long-term. OP, thank you for asking this question.

lol I was thinking the same thing exacly! I'm 42, female and short (5'2"). I think this is actually good advice but I keep my meals to about 200-300 calories. It's been working great for me. You do need to exercise at least 5-6 times a week to lose weight. Tracking each and every calorie is important. I also do weigh my food to get it right. Those little calories here and there can really add up.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and have lost 17 pounds since December. It's been a little slow going, but actually much easier now that I'm no longer taking birth control pills. I found that the best approach has been moderation, both in terms of calorie deficit and exercise. I lost weight at around 1600-1800 cals day (I'm 5'9). I lift weights 3x week, do cardio 2x week, and yoga 1x week. I try not to overdo the exercise, because I've noticed my recovery isn't quite what it used to be. Not severely restricting calories or overtraining helps keep the metabolism going, along with the weight training. I also track my food very carefully and have my macros set at 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fat.
  • SophinMaine
    SophinMaine Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My only gripe about my age (47) is that my body is getting worn! So I physically can't exercise as much as I would like to (and definitely have the drive and energy for)!
    Last year I was plagued by plantar fasciiatis, so no walking/running/dancing for me, fortunately riding (horse and bike) was ok.
    I have a chronically bad knee that can't take too much, and a weak lower back. Cracked eardrums, so swimming isn't ideal. And the list goes on...
    These are not excuses, they're facts of life, lol!

That said, I have to agree with everyone who said watch the carbs and sugar, exercise regularly, make water your basic drink, and you should see results.

My weaknesses are fresh baked bread and 70% Green & Black chocolate...so I try to exercise the calories off rather than going without those 2 things!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,946 Member
    Options
    I've got ten years on you and have been losing steadily. But, I had a lot more to lose. If you want to check out my diary, it is open (although I am now set to only a half pound per week as I'm getting close to my goal). I think the hunger might be from not getting enough protein.

Good luck. You will figure it out.
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    In the same boat...exactly :ohwell:

I'll continue to work out, but can someone give me suggestions of healthy protein to add to my day?
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

I'll continue to work out, but can someone give me suggestions of healthy protein to add to my day?

Fish, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, seeds, lean meat, whey powder
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Great thread... I definitely want to keep follwing.

Im almost in my 40's and I'v been struggling to lose as well. But the bigger issue for me has been that I feel as if I actually have limited amount of energy - and working out every day was draining that precious energy to ziltch! Aren't you supposed to get MORE energy the fitter you get! I've had to stop for the moment though due to the flu... Just hope I can start again!

Anyhoo, I've had blood tests done to see if there if any clues there but its just so frustrating when your doing everything right and its not working how its supposed to!! But, others are doing it so I will too!!! :happy:
  • trmecham
    trmecham Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm 44 and have no plans of going gently into the good night. Get moving with exercise. You'll never be younger than right now. Eat protein and foods lower on the glycemic scale, these foods will help to minimize the feeling of being hungry between meals. Emphasize whole foods. Nutritiondata.com is a great site for information on the food you eat. But mostly, get moving, as Mr. Young said, rust never sleeps.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 years old and have been trying to lose 25 pounds but the scales seem to be going the other way. I seem to be be hungry all the time or just craving something all the time. My sedentary job is not helping the situation either. What happened to my will power???

I don't think it's willpower, I think it's nutrients. I've been having greater success since I started eating enormous amounts of vegetables - outrageous amounts of vegetables, and getting some decent nutrition in. I feel differently about the whole deal, I don't crave chocolate or sweets, I don't crave anything. If I feel hungry it is because my stomach is rumbling, not because I just 'feel like i want something.' Bliss. :D
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have found, as others have commented, that eating right is so much more important in my 40s. I can't exercise quite as hard as I used to, so consistency is really key. I used to eat whatever I wanted and it was only calories that seemed to matter, but a now it is about getting enough protein and low fat to keep my energy up. All good though, as love to exercise once I get my butt moving :-)
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I am over 50 - and refuse to use my age as an excuse (that is just me).

Are you eating enough - and the right foods - for me that means extra protein, lots of vegetables and salads and some healthy fats (nuts, avocado, olives etc) - protein or nuts is the only thing that satiates me when I really get the munchies or are truly hungry...

And exercise / activity - it keeps me healthy - and as a bonus means I can eat a bit more as well.....

^^^^^ This - pay attention to it! If she can do it and I can do it, there is no reason you can't (unless there is - have you checked with a doctor to make sure there is no medical reason going on?). There are so many good tools and so many good people here who will be more than willing to help you get where you want to be - but ultimately, you are in charge of what you are willing to do to get where you want to be.
  • angelovearth
    Options

I use Shakeology daily (http://www.myshakeology.com/DivineEnergyFit) which I think gives me huge amounts of energy, detoxes my body, and really helped me reach my weight loss goal. I also use Eas Soy Protein (http://eas.com/product/soy-protein-powder) which you can get at Walmart pretty cheap. I chose it because it's a soy protein isolate and contains 'only' fructose and not those artificial sweetners. I drink Shakeology for breakfast and the Eas for a snack around 8 pm. Other than that you can eat lean meats like chicken, turkey, I eat also elk or deer, or you can eat fish, beans, nuts, eggs, milk, cheese...