Why do people who know nothing about a subject speak

Options
So, today I went shopping. Spent 2 hours-walked a mile. Went to the gym for an hour. Then the water center(swimming) for 2 hours. When I was finished I climbed into the jacuzzi there for a little breather. Well, I mentioned to the woman next to me I was tired. When she asked what from I told her. She then told me that no one needs to exercise they just need to stop putting their hand to their mouth. I told her I eat 1200 calories a day and she said "that is about 650 too many". I told her well, 1200 is working for me as I have lost 14 pounds and 24 inches. She is sooooo stupid. Why would she ever talk about something that she knows nothing of. At that point I told said NOTHING else. She didn't deserve another breath or second of my time. Ya know...I know very little about cars. I would NEVER try to pretend I did...why would she PRETEND she knows about dieting...oh and one last thing.... She got up to leave...her body was ok...she might have had an extra couple pounds...but then she lifted her arm...she had a gob of hanging FAT. Maybe if she did EXERCISE that would be gone...Ok off my soapbox.

Replies

• Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You were too nice :) I would have had to educate her a little on the subject of calorie intake and exercise! Great job exercising today by the way!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion, some just believe everyone's entitled to hear it. Sounds like she either got her info from a stupid friend or a fashion magazine that always has some "miracle" way of losing a bajillion pounds in a week. Though her first comment is plain ignorance. Not everyone gains weight by not having self control when it comes to food.

Reminds me of when I was 13 and spent the night at a friend's house for the first time. Next morning her mom came in the room and handed me green tea pills and told me to take them because I needed them. Even at 13 I knew better but she swore up and down I'd lose weight and all the years I was friends with that girl and had to talk to her mom she gave me more and more absurd advice like the not eating after 5pm rule and just random stuff I'm sure she saw on the internet or on TV.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    They probably visited a fitness forum at one time. Don'tcha know.... it makes everyone an instant expert. :tongue:
  • jeremy_c
    jeremy_c Posts: 21
    Options
    Everyone needs to feel important and needed, some people more than others. She probably didn't get good reinforcement of her worth while a youngling at home. Speaking as if you know something about a subject is one way of gaining worth. When I run into someone like that I feel sorry for them and indulge them for a bit for their benefit and set them straight on just a few things to let them know you can't always BS everyone but also to educate them a bit.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    So, today I went shopping. Spent 2 hours-walked a mile. Went to the gym for an hour. Then the water center(swimming) for 2 hours. When I was finished I climbed into the jacuzzi there for a little breather. Well, I mentioned to the woman next to me I was tired. When she asked what from I told her. She then told me that no one needs to exercise they just need to stop putting their hand to their mouth. I told her I eat 1200 calories a day and she said "that is about 650 too many". I told her well, 1200 is working for me as I have lost 14 pounds and 24 inches. She is sooooo stupid. Why would she ever talk about something that she knows nothing of. At that point I told said NOTHING else. She didn't deserve another breath or second of my time. Ya know...I know very little about cars. I would NEVER try to pretend I did...why would she PRETEND she knows about dieting...oh and one last thing.... She got up to leave...her body was ok...she might have had an extra couple pounds...but then she lifted her arm...she had a gob of hanging FAT. Maybe if she did EXERCISE that would be gone...Ok off my soapbox.

ah, you met my mom. I'm sorry
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call someone stupid just becasue they are misinformed, it seems a little harsh. She might have read it someplace she felt was a reputable source hence her ability to site it as fact. It might have been better to engage her in a conversation about health and find out why she felt that way, and shared your info with her.

in my opinion: your words say more about you than her.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    You should have dunked her!! No really you should have!

I have been learning a lot about nutrition an the amount of calories a body needs to thrive! Please consider coming to check out this group I have joined. We strive to determine our true amount of calories burned and then eat a deficit off of that. From reading what you said your body needs more than 1200 (not sure if you are eating exercise calories back or not). It's not just a weight loss thing it is a total body health thing.:flowerforyou:

Here is the link if you are interested:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day
  • mollyquewl
    Options
    What is wrong with some people?! That sounds like a really unfortunate encounter.

Good job with all of your physical activities today!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I wouldn't call someone stupid just becasue they are misinformed, it seems a little harsh. She might have read it someplace she felt was a reputable source hence her ability to site it as fact. It might have been better to engage her in a conversation about health and find out why she felt that way, and shared your info with her.

It was ignorance on her part either way. If that's what she wants to believe and she's comfortable with herself then why even try to educate her? She might not even want it or she might think the information is wrong.

At least the OP didn't call her stupid to her face. I would have gotten aggravated with the woman too and ended the conversation because by then, you don't really want to continue on with the conversation. She made her impression, it was a bad one. And of course we also don't know the tone the other woman was using. If she was acting like she honestly knew better then yes I'd call her stupid.
  • vicky1966
    vicky1966 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yup:bigsmile: . I would of dunked her too
  • MomOfJoey
    MomOfJoey Posts: 58
    Options
    There is no reputable source who would tell you that 600 calories a day is enough for an adult to live on, much less one who is exercising vigorously. She was being insulting to the OP, who I think was very patient.
  • rmpacelady
    Options
    You are doing great!
    I have a problem and I don't really know where to go for help?
    I am hoping that someone here can help me, so, here goes:
    Ok, all of you out there, I need some advise. I have been walking but now my doctor says "no more" that broke my heart today. I love to be out and about walking and he said I can take my little dog but not far. I am really missing those walks. My problem, I could maybe squeeze in a pool 2 or 3 times a week, max, but, what else can I do that does not require me to be on my feet?
    Thanks for your help
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Opinions are like *kitten* everyone has one! Keep up the hard work and don't ever let anyone discourage you! :flowerforyou:
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    This would be a good time to do Jenna Marbles "The Face" until she left the jacuzzi.
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    You are doing great!
    Ok, all of you out there, I need some advise. I have been walking but now my doctor says "no more" that broke my heart today. I love to be out and about walking and he said I can take my little dog but not far. I am really missing those walks. My problem, I could maybe squeeze in a pool 2 or 3 times a week, max, but, what else can I do that does not require me to be on my feet?
    Thanks for your help

Ask your doctor what they recommend then instead of walking?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You are doing great!
    Thanks for your help

Ask your doctor what he DOES recommend -- and you'll probably get better responses if you post this as its own thread.
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    So does she just pay for a gym membership to sit in the jacuzzi??

Anyway - Good for you for losing weight in healthy way!!
  • sweeney501
    Options
    i am a sailor in a male enviroment whare i used to be half of my size, i eat less then everone less i drink less than everyone else i run more than most and i am still fat, why people just want to feel better than others, best part is not fellin it is being better and trying harder that is what we do, we do it for our self, when the odd occasion someone tells us bollocks (uk thing meaning a load of sh*it) it empowers us to push a bit harder the next time. this evan happens in our own mind. do you just need someone else to laugs at the stupid girl, x
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options

It was ignorance on her part either way. If that's what she wants to believe and she's comfortable with herself then why even try to educate her? She might not even want it or she might think the information is wrong.

At least the OP didn't call her stupid to her face.

Yes it is so much better to bash someones opinion, intelligence and beliefs behind their back on a forum where they have no means to justify themselves. There are plenty of people on this website that would think the OP diet is unhealthy, would it be better they just bash them on another page and call her stupid and ignorant for her idea of healthy?
    There are plenty of people who would call all fat people lazy, there a plenty of people on this site that would prove them wrong, that doesn't stop them from being attacked with no means to stick up for themselves or have the chance to defend themselves.
    I understand wondering why the woman thought that habit was healthier than the OP's, I do not agree with how the OP decided to go about talking about it. Rude, crude and socially unattractive.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options

ah, you met my mom. I'm sorry

Too funny :laugh: