Why do people focus so much on the scale?

Options

Replies

• WIT2LOSE
    WIT2LOSE Posts: 4
    Options
    The scale is how I know whether or not what I am eating is helping me reach my goal of having a lower BMI. If I wake up and weigh more I eat lighter that day. If I wake up and weigh less I know that I am doing good. Its a way to monitor my success. Different strokes for different folks. But wieght matters. Its the bases of BMI and BMI matters.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Yes, but then why have a ticker at the bottom of your posts showing your weight loss? :smile: I don't mean to be snarky, please don't take offense. I get what you're saying--the general focus has just always been on pounds over inches. It's all about changing our mindsets, as you, I, and others who've been at this a while have learned :smile:

And congrats on your progress, very inspiring!!

You obviously did write this to be "snarky" and you OBVIOUSLY have not read all my posts on this thread.
  • amymrls
    Options
    Personally, I think you might be focusing too much on other people. You've found that inches and sizes are more important to you, and other people feel that the number on the scale is more important to them. Each person is different, but ultimately, we're all on the same journey. You obviously wanted to lose weight originally or else you wouldn't be here. Try to be more understanding - society has conditioned us to believe that the number on the scale is of extreme importance, so that's why a lot of people focus so much on it. I weigh myself every day. You might weigh yourself once a month. But at the end of the day, who really cares? To each their own. We all have our own ways of doing things.

WRONG--i didn't come here to lose weight...that's a fallacious assumption. We're also not all on the same journey--some people are here to get SKINNY at all costs, others HEALTHY, others FIT! So...people are different even with respect to their ultimate goal.

Yes people are on here for many different reasons.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I jump on the scale often, but you gotta keep in mind that it can be iffy. I think it is in your mind, when you see a lower number, you feel better and keep working. It can be hard to see such differences when you see your body every day.
  • Jentheoriginal
    Jentheoriginal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you look better and feel better and you are shrinking inches why do you care what the scale says?

Who actually picks up up and says "Wow, you are heavy?"

Why do you question building muscle mass that looks fantastic because it cause you to gain a few pounds?

REally? What is the problem here?

I personally would rather look good than weigh ANYTHING.

I think it's just an engraved mental game that was put in our heads when we were small and measured in front of our peers, IMO. It's true that it's more important how you look, but even while I get that, I beat myself up pretty hard for the numbers I see, or don't see changing. I think when you have been overweight your focus definitely is on the number because it is measurable, at least until you get to a point.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's just something that's tangible and indisputable - people can get their heads around numbers, it's sometimes hard to see visual results, especially if your body image is poor in your mind. When people train to gain muscle they should be aware that the number won't decrease much or even go up, but that's about muscle and definition.

Most people start off by trying to lose, so let them have the numbers to start with. Obviously people can take things the wrong way but it's being misguided more than anything else. Leave them learn in their own time what NSV's are, and if it's your friends getting worked up about numbers, support them and tell them why they shouldn't be so stressed about the scale.

Don't worry about it :)
  • amymrls
    Options
    If you look better and feel better and you are shrinking inches why do you care what the scale says?

Why do you question building muscle mass that looks fantastic because it cause you to gain a few pounds?

I think it's just an engraved mental game that was put in our heads when we were small and measured in front of our peers, IMO. It's true that it's more important how you look, but even while I get that, I beat myself up pretty hard for the numbers I see, or don't see changing. I think when you have been overweight your focus definitely is on the number because it is measurable, at least until you get to a point.

Just not worth abusing yourself over
  • NeekyRae
    NeekyRae Posts: 34
    Options
    I wish I didn't focus so much on it! =( Makes me depressed
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Each of us think in a different way. If someone wants to focus on the scale, then it's their own choice & vice versa. *shrug*
  • tobiwood1977
    Options
    i think that gaining muscle mass is good but i think that only goes so far. in other words you will only gain so much muscle mass or lose so many inches before it should start to show on the scale.
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm sadly one of those people who focuses so much on the scale, and I unfortunately can't tell you why. It's a question I ask myself every day -- when my pants are fitting better, and I'm feeling better and overall feel slimmer, why do I let the number on the scale (which hasn't gone down despite 6 HARD weeks of working out and eating right) bring me down? If you find the answer, please share!!

• Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I step on my scale, take my measurements, and try on clothes from the back of my closet as inspiration and motivation. From one day to the next, I may not see results in my waistline, but I can see the scale move down a half a pound. I pulled out a skirt that I'm so excited to wear this spring/summer, but don't have time to try it on every day, so when I see the scale move 5 lbs or so, I try it on to see how much closer I am to wearing it. If the scale isn't moving, I check my measurements, and maybe tweak my calorie goals up or down to see if there's a change. It's just another tool to help me on this journey!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    1) You are GORGEOUS!

2) congrats on how far you have come

3) I hate that dam scale!!! 3/23 was the last time I weighed and yes its killing me not to but I am not going to until my race day 4/22! I dk why in the world I care so much what it says... I think maybe bc the lower numbers in my mind have always been SO far out of reach that I just wanna get there so I at one point was weighing everyday just to see how much closer I was And then I came to the revelation... I still have 160lbs to loose so.. why get on the scale every morning.. its not going to drop in one day LOL I would get on and be .5 up then next day 2 down then 1 up then 1.4 down it was nuts so now I just say F it. For my first race I am going to weigh bc I am going to add that to my after story you know to motivate others like look if I can complete my first 5K at 290 (hopefully fingers crossed) then so can you etc... But after that I will NOT weigh until I am half way to my next goal day (5/27) Goal day being 6/30

Awesome!!
    I'm in that same situation ...was down, down, down ..then nothing..then up a teeny bit...and seriously, it's too stressful.
    Inches are doing down.....and I just have to keep reminding myself of that.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    When I dont have so much to lose I wont be so focused on it. To each their own. I dont really see a reason to be concerned about others scale issues, if they have any.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Between July and February, I gained weight.

strength-training.jpg

Ask me if I care. :happy:
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Fine but it drives me nuts seeing my friends abusing themselves because they didn't drop a pound this week. It will eventually happen if you keep it up whether you step on the scale or not. I am not saying I never step on the scale because I do. But if I do and it goes up 1 lbs or 2 I don't want to quit. People need to focus more on self love.

"...focus more on self love." That is such loaded phrase. This is such an incredibly personal and emotional journey and if it was easy there wouldn't be a obesity epidemic. We are all at different stages of this journey and as social being we all need validation. You may get your validation from a compliment, the fit of your clothes, getting off of meds, running a 5K, doing 5 more reps, or weighing yourself, whatever it is know that its all about you. If it keeps you making the best choices about how you eat and move your body then more power to you. DO YOU!!!
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on where the person is in the weight loss journey. The scale does have it's place at certain times. That said, if you are fit and are in good physical shape, the a number on the scale is irrelevant. Look at body builders. The scale probably means nothing to them. I suppose they could want to check and see how much muscle they have put on.

Right now the scale does mean something to me. It shows me I still need to take a few pounds off. I still have areas that need to be toned. If, after I get to where I want to be, I feel better, then I'll probably not be concerned with the 'number'.

Does that make any sense?
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    To each their own. Some personalities are also more prone to obsessing over specific things, whether it be a number on the scale, or a number on the measuring tape. I go in and out of caring about what the scale says. Sometimes I go a year without checking. Sometimes I go a year checking everyday. It is how I have been for a long time. And it is no doubt the way I will remain.
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Isn't losing a pants size and going to smaller sizes just as much proof that you are doing better and getting healthier? What about healthy blood draws from your dr saying you are doing fantastic? What about looking in the mirror and just saying DAMN I am lookin good. I am a different person!

I recently did some bloodwork for my insurance policy and they bumped me up to an elite status because they said I was very healthy....I am only a third of the way to my weightloss goal but that news truely made me happier than what the scale says.

You are doing awesome and look beautiful!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    it's difficult to stay focused on exercising hard and eating right with a view to losing weight. losing weight becomes the focus, not always being 'healthier' . i can see why going to scale and scale addiction happens...it's the only way you can visually see any sort of return on effort.

also, some people have to weigh in every day to keep their HRM readings accurate.

I wear a HRM and a fitbit and do not weigh in everday. Once a week is accurate. I would almost have to say that that is an obsession, if you think one week and one or two pounds are going to change your HRM much...

I weigh myself everyday. I have since I started on this journey. For me, it has taught me a lot about my body. It has taught me how certain foods affect me, how much water I need in a day, what I gain before I start my period, etc. I've learned a lot by watching a number on the scale. It has also helped me to not freak out when I see it go up - it does make me more aware of what I'm eating, if my period is due, if I'm drinking enough water, or whatever. I don't think it is obsessive. I think it is helpful. Now, I do not measure my self worth by the number on the scale nor does it dictate my mood for the entire day. It is just another tool in my journey to be a healthier me. Nothing wrong with that at all. Not everyone wants to use the scale, not everyone feels the need to weigh in regularly. To each their own. There's no right or wrong way to do it.