Anti-runners Starting to run? Anybody?

Options
hey everybody, I'm new to this, I'd like to find some people to share ideas, recipes, workouts, tips etc. With! My goal is just to get healthy and fit, ultimately about 45lbs lighters than now. I'm training for a 5k now and absolutely despise running but I'm getting there, anybody have the same issues? I'd love to add more friends for support and ideas!(:

Replies

• crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Im doing the C25K program now and I just finished week 5. I'm not sure if I love running yet but Im getting better at it and hope to run a 5k this summer. Feel free to add me as a friend
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    ME! I hated running and thought I would die if I did more than 1/2 a lap. I completed C25K last year and ran/jogged over 50 miles this month. I is possible, I promise you!!

Good luck and stick with it!
  • DannieElise
    DannieElise Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have never loved the idea of running....but recently I decided that I needed to stretch myself beyond my comfort zone. A friend told me about C25K - a program that gets anti-runners up and moving! I just started it and so far so good!

Definitely go to http://c25k.com/ and check it out! There is a free app you can download to your phone and many other free tools.

Feel free to add me as a friend as well! We can keep each other motivated on this journey to RUN! =)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've run a marathon and I still don't like running when I'm actually running...but I'm not very happy when I'm not running. Apparently I need therapy!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I think there are lots of groups for C25k.. so do a search to see.

Good for you!! I use to be an anti runner.
    I just met me march goal of 80km run this month!! so i guess now Im a runner!
    :)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running, but trained for a 5K as part of a challenge at work, and now I'm addicted :tongue: I race pretty much every weekend when the weather is good. Stick with it - and sign up for a race to keep yourself motivated - you may just find yourself an addict too :happy:
  • jennapony
    jennapony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much in the same place. I have always been moderately active but my motto was 'I only run if I am being chased'
    Now I am training to run a 5 k in August and it is death!
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    hey everybody, I'm new to this, I'd like to find some people to share ideas, recipes, workouts, tips etc. With! My goal is just to get healthy and fit, ultimately about 45lbs lighters than now. I'm training for a 5k now and absolutely despise running but I'm getting there, anybody have the same issues? I'd love to add more friends for support and ideas!(:

Let me say this its all in your head! Dont say I despise running when your running or when I am running / dying as most would say looking at me run lmao I tell myself wow this is so awesome I am so great almost there woohoo I am so fast! ETC! and I keep on trucking keep on trucking. What the mind perceives the body achieves I believe! Woohooo we are runners! Super fast runners that love to runnnnn!
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've just started defeating that "I hate running/ I'm the slowest runner EVER" attitude and I'm training for my first 5K in July!

I'd love to act as a motivator and receive some support as well!

:)
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I never was into running . It hurt my lungs, knees, ankles there was just nothing good about it.
    So this week I for some reason saw a 5k thing on the tread mill and said why not. I got threw the whole thing hills and all at a 3.5-4.0 speed with hills. My hopes is to speed it up a little hear and there but not sure how my body will hold up. My joints are pretty shot.
  • kimdrobison
    Options
    I started running 3 years ago. Hate is inadequate in describing how I felt about running. I was running with a group at 5:30 AM to boot, and I also abhor morning. I am now training for my second marathon and have run 5 half marathons. I don't love running while I'm doing it, but love the sense of accomplishment when I'm done. Here is my advice to a running hater like myself.

1. Take it slow. C25k is a great program. Don't start out thinking you need to run the whole time. I STILL don't. I run 4 minutes and then I walk 1 minute over and over. I LOVE this. It helps me mentally wrap my head around the whole running thing.

2. Find someone to run with...or at the same time. I am still a slow runner. I frequently ask my fast runner friends if they would like to run simultaneously. Just knowing that I am meeting someone helps to motivate me.

3. I run to audiobook. I LOVE it! Music isn't destractingly enough for me. I get bored and then think about how much pain I'm in, or how tired I am. If I can get into a book, then I don't notice it as much.

4. If you are going to run a lot, get GOOD shoes. They can be spendy, but much cheaper than a trip to the doctor. Go to a running store and do a gait analysis. They will recommend the right shoe. The right shoes make a HUGE difference, especially when it comes to joint pain...at least for me.

4. Stick with it. It took me a long time before I didn't dread running. It will get better, maybe not easier, but better. I don't feel like running is easy for me now. It stills feel hard...I'm just faster now.

You can do it! Welcome to the world of running!
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm just learning how to run as well! I have my good days and bad days, and am starting C25K again after doing it last year and quitting at the end of week 5. I know I can get to week 9 now!

Wouldn't it be awesome to actually be one of those lean, strong runners! Soon we will be haha
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I started the couch 2 5k today! Downloaded the app on my phone and away I went!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Nobody said that they were focusing on running only.
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    My name is Julie and I am an Anti-Runner! :bigsmile: I am also doing C25K but it is going to take me much longer to get through the program. It doesn't help that my run route is really hilly although I am hoping to get some seriously toned legs and glutes out of the deal. Of course they are currently hidden under their protective coating of fat but that is slowly but surely melting away!

I do not enjoy running but I do enjoy eating so... I run.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Hm...I hate when people post articles that have nothing to do with the topic posted. Yes, "too much" cardio could be a problem for some people...but some of us actually run for enjoyment.

To the OP...if you really hate running, why not find some other form of exercise that you enjoy? I personally love running, even when it's difficult...I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it.
  • MaryMacTree
    Options
    Hello.. You Sound like me about 34 weeks ago.
    I am down 25 Pounds and 38 Inches so Far.. And i started a 5k Running plan in October.. Today was my 1st day of 10k training plan.. Best of luck to you..
  • MaryMacTree
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I love Running.. I REALLY do :flowerforyou:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you could start cycling to help build your cardio strength and endurance. great way to get outdoors and you can usually go further and longer then just plain running.