Your stomach, after having a child.......

Options

Replies

• skphi1
    skphi1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I never had a flat stomach even before I had 3 children. I hate it. It can never go flat no matter how I diet or exercise. I will lose weigh and inches on my thigh, hip and boobs. When I gain weigh, the stomach is the first place that the fat goes. I wish there is an answer.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Your belly may never look the way it did before you had children. But by eating well and exercising, especially strength training, you can be happy with it again!
    After six babies (and still a work in progress):
    c45e3386.jpg

(Edited to add--unfortunately, I have no before pictures of my belly. I stayed between 175 and 180 for years, with my highest weight being 188, and I avoided cameras!)
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    This is encouraging, though I won't be holding my breath - my gut is hammered!! still better than it being bigger!! :)
  • esalzman
    esalzman Posts: 3
    Options
    It is true, that it depends on your genetics. However, I am a mom of 2 (1 C-section) and a Pilates and Zumba instructor. (No, I don't do either of them every day. It's only a couple times a week.) I've been taking Pilates for 5 years and wore my first bikini post kids last summer. Most moms that come into my classes have to rebuild their core after having kids. Their pooches do minimize considerably. I had a mom with two teenage daughters tell me this week that she could feel her low abs for the first time and really notice a difference since she started Pilates 3 months ago. I highly recommend keeping a cardio routine and adding Pilates to your fitness routine.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've never had a super flat stomach, even before kids, but it is flatter now than it was before kids. I had 2 kids, 15 months apart, and my yougest is 17 months. I have done several Jillian Michaels dvds (30 day shred, ripped in30, killer buns and thighs, and just started 6 week 6 pack), and have recently gotten addicted to Body Pump. It is possible to flatten out that stomach, just make sure you're doing strength type workouts not just cardio.

This is my MFP start pic, i tried to hide the pooch...
    ccac9f94.jpg

I literally just took this to post here
    IMAG0318.jpg
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've never had a super flat stomach, even before kids, but it is flatter now than it was before kids. I had 2 kids, 15 months apart, and my yougest is 17 months. I have done several Jillian Michaels dvds (30 day shred, ripped in30, killer buns and thighs, and just started 6 week 6 pack), and have recently gotten addicted to Body Pump. It is possible to flatten out that stomach, just make sure you're doing strength type workouts not just cardio.

ccac9f94.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg
    Now that is a belly to be proud of! Beautiful work!

I would love to see more...c'mon mamas, show off your hard work!
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options

ccac9f94.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg

That is amazing! How long did it take you to do it?
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I have a friend (real world not MFP) who is 39 with three kids and just won, yes won, a figure (body building) competition against younger, non-mommy types. Anything is possible, well as long as your skin has good elasticity. Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to ever have a flat tummy, if you have the "pooch" ? Everyone I have talked to says, oh theres now way you can lose that. I mean Im 5'6 154.2lbs and I want to get down to 125-130. So according to everyone I've talked to, I'll never have a flat stomach.... Im not going to lie its very upsetting to have someone say that to you. My son is 8 years old now, and this is the first time that I have tried to lose weight, but Im already discouraged already, just from what people are saying. So if theres anyone that has before and after pictures of your tummy, or advice or anything, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

Ashley

My daughter's aunt as three children. She blew up like a blimp with every pregnancy and she has the flattest tummy I have ever seen. And she achieved it without even dieting or exercising. So, yes, it's possible. Some of us just have to work harder for it.
  • liamsmummy09
    liamsmummy09 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • carlisle19
    carlisle19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. It takes time and work but you can. After having my daughter I thought it was impossible and got discouraged many times. My abdominal muscles were really weak after the pregnancy. I had to do a lot of core exercise but I have my flat stomach back. Don't get discouraged. I had to work out and watch my diet and still do. It will happen for you!!!
  • jpspang
    jpspang Posts: 1
    Options
    My beautiful wife is the mother to 4 children (2 by c-Section) and works out 5 to 6 days/week. She has done a remarkable job at getting her flat stomach back. I was so inspired by her drive and determination that i have started working out recently. Remember you are your own worst critic and there is nothing to be ashamed of. Keep at it and soon you'll have that pre-baby body. Good luck.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I had 2 kids back to back within 2 years and gained approximately 50 pounds with each of them. It took 18 months after my son (last baby) was born to lose all of the weight, then another 2-3 years to get my stomach how I wanted it...it took time, determination, a good diet, and strength training! Lots of heavy weight lifting. I still have a little loose skin in the lower part of my belly, but it isn't that bad.

Pregnant:
    39wks.jpg

9 months post pardum:
    2004_b-1-1.jpg

Now:
    belly.jpg
    Epic_2011148-2.jpg
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    My beautiful wife is the mother to 4 children (2 by c-Section) and works out 5 to 6 days/week. She has done a remarkable job at getting her flat stomach back. I was so inspired by her drive and determination that i have started working out recently. Remember you are your own worst critic and there is nothing to be ashamed of. Keep at it and soon you'll have that pre-baby body. Good luck.

You are so sweet to post this about your wife! I'm so happy to know that there are good men out there besides mine! Keep up the good work!
  • Natalie182
    Natalie182 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 9 months now, i have only just started exercising properly though.
    Im only about 6lbs heavier than i was before i got pregnant and its all on my hips and belly! Doesnt look to bad when im standing up but hate when i sit down and it blobs =[ luckily i didnt get stretch marks and im working on loosing a couple of lbs and toning up! Fingers crossed!
    Pics : Opinions please..

Before i got pregnant october 2010
    DSCN0210.jpg
    Sitting down 22nd march 2012
    222march.jpg
    28th march
    28thmarch.jpg
  • Natalie182
    Natalie182 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    sorry my pics are Massive!!x
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    My daughter is 9 months now, i have only just started exercising properly though.
    Im only about 6lbs heavier than i was before i got pregnant and its all on my hips and belly! Doesnt look to bad when im standing up but hate when i sit down and it blobs =[ luckily i didnt get stretch marks and im working on loosing a couple of lbs and toning up! Fingers crossed!
    Pics : Opinions please..

Before i got pregnant october 2010
    DSCN0210.jpg
    Sitting down 22nd march 2012
    222march.jpg
    28th march
    28thmarch.jpg

If I could have your tummy, I would be sooooo proud!!! You look great!! :)
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    I had 2 kids back to back within 2 years and gained approximately 50 pounds with each of them. It took 18 months after my son (last baby) was born to lose all of the weight, then another 2-3 years to get my stomach how I wanted it...it took time, determination, a good diet, and strength training! Lots of heavy weight lifting. I still have a little loose skin in the lower part of my belly, but it isn't that bad.

Pregnant:
    39wks.jpg

9 months post pardum:
    2004_b-1-1.jpg

Now:
    belly.jpg
    Epic_2011148-2.jpg

Holy crap! You look amazing!!! As far as weight loss goes, what did you do? I know you said a good diet, and heavy lifting, but what kind of cardio? Amazing results!!
  • Nickysmom126
    Options

ccac9f94.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg
    Now that is a belly to be proud of! Beautiful work!

I would love to see more...c'mon mamas, show off your hard work!

Awesome!! You look great!! :) Thanks for sharing!!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    It' might be possible, but it depends . . . .

on so many things: #1 genetics, and then, in no particular order: how much weight you gained, how old you were when you had the baby, how much you will commit to making a change.

Regardless of any of those factors, eating right and working out will improve what you've got.

Blessings,

Mom of 4