Earth Hour-- What will you be doing for it?

Options
Sleekit
Sleekit Posts: 80 Member
In case you have never heard of it. Earth Hour is TODAY! At 8:30pm-9:30pm homes around world shut off all their lights, appliances (ones that are necessities) to shrink our collective carbon footprint on the world and raise energy-wise awareness. It is a great time to take a step back from technology and spend time together as a family. I will be taking a walk in the rain this Earth Hour. What will you be doing?

For more information on it: http://www.fortisbc.com/Electricity/PowerSense/InYourCommunity/EarthHour/Pages/Take-the-pledge.aspx

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    One of my jobs is calclulating carbon footprints and a lot of communities that have Earth Hour candle light vigils actually increase their foot print by having everyone hold a candle.

So what am I doing, playing Call of Duty, watching Star Wars and typing on my laptop.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Watching basketball.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've tuned in the hockey game, turned on all the lights in the house, and I've got my SUV running in the driveway.
  • turbophoenix
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me! I got so busy working on my inspiration board that I forgot. I've got to go eat dinner and shower before!

As far as during, I'm going to use that hour as my meditation time for the day. :smile:
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Turning every light in the house ON. I live alone so all year long I have a rule, one light on at a time, I'm always in the dark. I walk a lot at night and don't get some houses with every light on at the same time. Why are we celebrating turning lights off for only one hour a year, seems kind of dumb to me!!!

Oh, and I've been out of work so trying to save a little dinero!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I need the lights on to see.
  • Mskraizy
    Mskraizy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Then I must have an earth hour everyday. Confessing overwhelming troubles with a pen to paper while the crisp, airy breeze swims through gloriously gleaming emerald leaves as the soft touch of sunlight washes away the stress of my drained attitude....I could sit out there all day. =)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    What am I doing? Um.....
  • Sleekit
    Options
    Earth Hour discourages the use of candles BTW.... fire hazard. And I doubt a little T light candle creates more carbon than a car or having all your lights on. I am genuinely surprised at how stand offish people are about this ONE HOUR of electrical/energy silence.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    What time zone are you in?
    It's 9:16 where I am.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I might not mind being in the dark for an hour with nothing to do if I had a partner to....DO something with!
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I am very much an energy conserver. My electric bill is insanely cheap and I don't own TV etc. But tonight is an extremely important game for the Sabres (they are fighting for a playoff spot!, NHL) and I was and still am watching the game at my boyfriend's house. One hour isn't enough anyways, people need to conserve energy daily and develop better habits :-)
  • starmaid
    starmaid Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm shutting off my tv, lights, and computer for the hour. Thank you for reminding me! For me, shutting the computer off by itself is a major change, haha.

Also, there's no need for some to be hateful. If you aren't particiating, then simply state it respectfully, or don't even post.
  • Sleekit
    Options
    I'll be honest, I am very much an energy conserver. My electric bill is insanely cheap and I don't own TV etc. But tonight is an extremely important game for the Sabres (they are fighting for a playoff spot!, NHL) and I was and still am watching the game at my boyfriend's house. One hour isn't enough anyways, people need to conserve energy daily and develop better habits :-)

That is awesome that you are always energy c conscious! I'd probably watch the game too if I were you. Even if you don't participate during THE hour, you can appreciate the fact that it raises awareness! I hope your team wins!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    lol@this happening during the Final Four. someone needs to fire the organizers.
  • Sleekit
    Options
    What time zone are you in?
    It's 9:16 where I am.

I live on the West coast of Canada. It is 6:22 here.
  • arleylange
    Options
    Watching a movie with my husband. We keep lights we're not using off and electronics we're not using unplugged (except washer/dryer [too hard to access regularly] and refrigerator). I agree with a previous poster that one hour isn't enough, that regularly conserving energy is the way to go.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I might not mind being in the dark for an hour with nothing to do if I had a partner to....DO something with!

BINGO! :drinker:
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm shutting off my tv, lights, and computer for the hour. Thank you for reminding me! For me, shutting the computer off by itself is a major change, haha.

Also, there's no need for some to be hateful. If you aren't particiating, then simply state it respectfully, or don't even post.

Hateful? I haven't seen any hateful comments, mostly either people stating they conserve energy regularly or simply that they are keeping the lights on. Or, some sarcastic comments too. I wouldn't go as far as hateful, there has been much worse in other threads.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Do you turn your breaker off at the incoming lines? or just lights off? what about my water heater, and furnace. Or all the electronics that reset when the power goes out can I leave them running. When my TV is off there is a red light on, do I turn that off too? Then It will take me 15 mins when I plug it back in to reset it.

This is confusing, what time zone? the site said it started in Australia, do we use there time? Or is it sort of a rolling blackout of zones, What if we dont go by DST? Can I pick a convient hour for me? like at night when I turn it all off anyway?

Do I used a flashlight when there off. Batteries are a large source of heavy metal pollutants in landfills and incinerators, should I be worries Im adding to that?