Fresh Popped Popcorn, How many Cals???

Options
I love popcorn but don't eat it that often as I seem to cant stop when I start. So I was wondering how many cals is actually in it.

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    popcorn is fairly low in calories as long as it isn't smothered with butter (including microwave "butter flavour"). I am sure the cals are on MFP's database (I don't know off the top of my head, but I do know it is a rather low-cal snack). If you make it fresh popped, you can control how many calories you add to it by what you use to flavour it. You can solve the over-eating problem by only popping what you intend to eat. If you usually have lots leftover that you feel you must eat because it is soooo good, then make less. :)
  • Alice_Liddell
    Options
    http://www.orville.com/healthy-popcorn-smartpop

I don't know how healthy it actually is--my husband has the butter kind, so I imagine there is still a lot of fat, and there is probably a decent amount of sodium, too. But it is just 100 calories, and you can get it plain, too.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    oil popped is 28 cals per half cup.
    thought it was less than that. :(
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Air popped without seasoning is pretty low. 2 cups is about 40 cal I think? I love it, super filling and yummy!

Which if you don't have an airpopper... missing out. It's the best way to make popcorn. No oil, and you have control over the seasoning.
  • aksunshine
    aksunshine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use the brown paper bag trick I learned on Dr Oz. Paper lunch bag, 4 tablespoons of popcorn. Fold bag over twice. Microwave 2 minutes. Tada.100 calories. I eat this everyday as a snack. You can sprinkle on seasoning if you,like. Garlic salt nutritional yeast etc...
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Oooooh thanks for that paper bag tip! For some reason it never dadwned on me that you could microwave popcorn like that. I think I will do just that next time so I don't have any processed powder already added to it.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    Im not sure which kind you mean but I have an airpopper and you get something like 5 or 6 cups for 100 cals. I use the spray butter which adds very little. It's one of my favs and helping me tremendously
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    PS one of the main benefits is that the airpopped doesnt have all of the sodium that microwave does
  • DamnImCute
    Options
    I use the paper bag trick too. I like mine with cinnamon :happy:
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    thanks guys. i don't like microwaved popcorn (pop secret, and the like) every since i was preggo with my youngest son. I will get an air popper soon. in the mean time i will continue to use my stainless steel pot or my popcorn cooker that i bought about a year ago.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn almost every day. I also microwave my own in a brown paper bag - much cheaper than buying the microwave stuff and none of the gunk they put on it! I usually pop 1/4c of kernels and according to the package, that's 130 calories, and it fills a nice big bowl.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Sometimes on a Saturday night we get microwave popcorn. Even a whole bag with butter is only 400 calories. Not bad really - given the choice between that and other junky foods like crisps/cookies etc.
  • shellgirl144
    Options
    I stopped eating the microwave popcorn (I'm not talking about the popcorn you can pop in a lunch bag) when people were coming down with popcorn lung. I bought an air popper for like $15 and love it. I pop it and put a little parm cheese on it. There aren't many calories in it...it'll tell you on the bag how many. Besides that with the air popper I know I'm not getting any processed junk.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    An entire bag of pop secret homestyle is 120 calories
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    We use the brown paper bag method here, and an oil spritzer thing that I got from Pampered Chef to put some olive oil on it.
    It's yummy and low-calorie.

(Plus get those healthy fats from the EVOO)
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Buy the small 100 calorie bags...
  • rottiegirl22
    rottiegirl22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can buy a special bowl for the microwave that pops up without the calories and salt too. It's pretty neat, we've used ours a couple of times.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    You can use a pyrex bowl topped with a plate to pop in the micro, also... no waste.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    OZ popcorn brown bagged sounds great. Will try it later tonight...some way to spend a Saturday night.
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you do it right it really isn't that bad. I don't know the calories but do not add butter at all and get the right kind of oil. No salt either. No butter, no salt, and good oil. Do not use canola oil. Coconut oil is going to be the better tasting oils. Just make sure your oil is not partially hydrogenated oil. I work at a move theater and so far the coconut is the BEST tasting oil for popcorn.