What doesn't have salt?

Options
I am running into the problem of sodium overload. I never realised how much salt is in basically EVERYTHING. I already don't cook with salt (never have!!). But wow, can I not catch a break with it.

I regularly end up going over by hundreds (or in the case of days with rice; a thousand... thanks SOYA SAUCE!).

Any suggestions?

What do y'all eat that doesn't have salt (besides salad!!)

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    fruit, water, rice, steamed veggies without added salt
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I just stopped using so many processed things. I used to be over on sodium EVERY day, and now I am under every day. When you are making rice, try flavouring it with herbs and spices so you can cut back on or eliminate the soya sauce.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I prepare most everything I eat to avoid processed foods. Feel free to look through diary ..most days are great on the sodium end.
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    I guess I should have also asked how I eat a sandwich without salt! LOL

It seems everything I put in my sandwich is full of salt!

I admit I get deli meats... because what else is there??

I don't eat fish/sea food at all (would consider tuna if it didn't make me sick...)
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am older with high blood pressure and cardiac problems and I always thought that I was being cautious with my sodium intake, but was still having such a problem with edema in my legs. When I started using mfp and include sodium as one of my macros and was floored. I was doing well with my calories, but wow the sodium. I would have.a Subway club sandwich that is only 360 calories, and thought I was doing so well until I did my food diary the first time and it said that 6 inch sandwich had 1300 mg of sodium!! I also ate a lot of frozen meals since I live alone. Well, you guessed it. All of the frozen meals are full of sodium. Salad dsgs that you buy are awful also. I now just use balsamic vinegar. As some of the others have said, I cook from scratch mainly and try not to eat out more than once a wk. Restaurants have everything full of salt also. I do a lot of stir fry type vegetables, I stir fry just about anything. Lots of onion, green pepper, cauliflower, brocolli, mushrooms, cabbage, spinach, zuchinni etc. Spaghetti squash is another good choice also. I use a lot of Mrs Dash and garlic for flavor. Lots of fruits, greek yogurts, protein bars. Good luck. It has sure helped with my edema.

I just saw your last post about sandwiches. Egg salad, cook chicken once a wk and use for sandwiches. Make a roast and slice thin. Pork loin is great to roast and slice thin for a sandwich.
  • cyberskirt
    Options
    I am older with high blood pressure and cardiac problems and I always thought that I was being cautious with my sodium intake, but was still having such a problem with edema in my legs. When I started using mfp and include sodium as one of my macros and was floored. I was doing well with my calories, but wow the sodium. I would have.a Subway club sandwich that is only 360 calories, and thought I was doing so well until I did my food diary the first time and it said that 6 inch sandwich had 1300 mg of sodium!! I also ate a lot of frozen meals since I live alone. Well, you guessed it. All of the frozen meals are full of sodium. Salad dsgs that you buy are awful also. I now just use balsamic vinegar. As some of the others have said, I cook from scratch mainly and try not to eat out more than once a wk. Restaurants have everything full of salt also. I do a lot of stir fry type vegetables, I stir fry just about anything. Lots of onion, green pepper, cauliflower, brocolli, mushrooms, cabbage, spinach, zuchinni etc. Spaghetti squash is another good choice also. I use a lot of Mrs Dash and garlic for flavor. Lots of fruits, greek yogurts, protein bars. Good luck. It has sure helped with my edema.

I just saw your last post about sandwiches. Egg salad, cook chicken once a wk and use for sandwiches. Make a roast and slice thin. Pork loin is great to roast and slice thin for a sandwich.

THANK YOU!! these are great idea's! I love Spaghetti squash! and you can freeze it into portions! hehe. Maybe it would be better to cook a whole roast myself than to get deli meats from the counter.
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I just noticed how much salt in in sushi. Holy cow.

Avoid canned soup, deli meat, anything processed. I am able to do OK on salt if I eat at home. But on the days I go out to eat, it's pretty much impossible for me to stay under.
  • cyberskirt
    Options
    fruit, water, rice, steamed veggies without added salt

Thanks! these I do already!
  • cyberskirt
    Options
    I just noticed how much salt in in sushi. Holy cow.

Avoid canned soup, deli meat, anything processed. I am able to do OK on salt if I eat at home. But on the days I go out to eat, it's pretty much impossible for me to stay under.

Deli meat is my downfall. and I just today bought my meat for lunches. :(
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For sandwiches, avoid processed meats, tuna, and condiments. Make your own fillings with eggs, chicken, or other leftovers. Avoid condiments--use sour cream or avocado instead. Add flavor with tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peppers, and horseradish.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    avoid sauces in general. They are usually high in sodium. And then like they said no/little processed food, it's all loaded with salt. Good Luck.
  • countrywildflower
    countrywildflower Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Its funny that u posted this. I just reserched sodium this evening. I decided I needed to go on a low sodium diet.fresh fruits and fresh veges have very low sodium. you can marinate meats in orange juice or pineapple juice. Avoid soups, entrees, can veges unless low sodium. avoid frozen dinners, and processed foods. if the can veges is not low sodium u can rinse them, this will reduce the sodium added. no garlic salt use onion powder, garlic powder and lemon pepper seasoning. Choose broiled, grilled, or roasted meats. No msg foods. no softdrinks. but tea is low sodium. soy and sauces like that is a nono. The diet chart i looked at read its ok to have 500mg of sodium for breakfast. 150 for snacks a day. 600mg for lunch and 600mg for supper. I wish i had wrote down the website I got my info from there was alot of useful info there.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash is great too, lots of great sodium free spice blends, and they even carry a line of marinates a few close to BBQ sauce (I cant wait to get some of that and try it!). They also have a section of low sodium recipes on their web site. There are also tons of good low sodium recipes at websites geared for people with kidney failure - google it you will see!
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under my sodium limit too and admittedly it's very hard, especially if you eat out or any prepackaged foods. In my efforts, I've bought unsalted tortilla chips, use spices, garlic, onions, hot peppers, etc. when cooking and salt-free seasoning mixes (Mrs. Dash brand has a bunch), snack on low or no sodium stuff like yogurt or fruit, buy the low sodium versions of things (soy sauce, canned beans, etc.), and use low sodium sauces (Ex. just bought a salt-free Thai Peanut Sauce by Mr. Spice brand, although I haven't tried it yet). Good luck!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of whole, unprocessed foods and I find that this really helps to keep the sodium down.
  • cyberskirt
    Options
    I try to stay under my sodium limit too and admittedly it's very hard, especially if you eat out or any prepackaged foods. In my efforts, I've bought unsalted tortilla chips, use spices, garlic, onions, hot peppers, etc. when cooking and salt-free seasoning mixes (Mrs. Dash brand has a bunch), snack on low or no sodium stuff like yogurt or fruit, buy the low sodium versions of things (soy sauce, canned beans, etc.), and use low sodium sauces (Ex. just bought a salt-free Thai Peanut Sauce by Mr. Spice brand, although I haven't tried it yet). Good luck!

I already use a lot of different spices. I haven't tried the "Mrs. Dash brand" at all though and someone suggested it for rice! My main downfall seems to be my sandwiches, I buy from the deli counter. Seems I am gonna be doing a lot of roasting now!

hehe, I get dried beans, just as good, I just soak them the night before and they are perfect the next day! this is how I make my chili's and soups and bean cassarole!

Thanks for all the great suggestions.