Calculating BMR

Options
2»

Replies

• slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I don't know you, but I LOVE YOU! OMG, this site is so much easier! I've been doing math for 3 days trying to figure this out! You ROCK! THANK YOU!
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I don't know you, but I LOVE YOU! OMG, this site is so much easier! I've been doing math for 3 days trying to figure this out! You ROCK! THANK YOU!

I know I love it too. And you can figure out workout and non-workout days in seconds! Its a great find and you tailor it completely to your own needs.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    At first I thought it was high your BMR but after looking at your ticker I noticed your current weight is over 200 which would explain the high number. Our bodies burn higher calories the more we weigh, so your weight loss of 2 lbs is ok until you get within 20lbs of goal then you will find that your BMR drops. At that point you should adjust your intake to lose 0.5 to 1 lb a week.

I personally don't use the MFP calculators and enter my goal manually. I eat 1800 cals a day and do not eat back exercise cals. I aim for 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.

That makes sense. I had planned on adjusting my weight-loss per week to about .5 pounds once I got a little closer to my goal... But my confusion was that while eating for the estimated 1 pound per week loss that MFP had set up for me, I was actually losing double that. That is what first made me think that my BMR was a bit higher than this site estimates. I hate not knowing for sure, though. :-P

Anyway, it's nice to see someone else who is manually entering their calorie goals and not using the MFP settings. I feel like such a rebel sometimes. LOL. :-)

Ha! Its taken me a while to figure it all out too but once I hit on the sweet spot for me, I realized I needed to control the goals instead of aiming in the dark! MFP goals are great if you are starting out on your weight loss journey and have a lot of weight to lose, but I was already within 20-30 lbs of goal and the 1200 a day was far to aggressive for me and actually stalled my weight loss considering I was workingout intensely 6 days a week. That was also a learning curve for me to cut back my exercise to 4 days a week and up my cals to 1800 a day. So far I'm losing 0.5-1 lb a week. Slow but steady. Good luck!
  • ocylott
    ocylott Posts: 31
    Options
    Poking my head in here in hopes of some more discussion on the topic. According to MFP, my BMR is at 1200, but that site puts it up at 1325. Does MFP lowball the BMR, or is the other site unreasonably high? I'd really like to go with the more accurate number.