I was watching a woman run a Boot Camp yesterday

Options

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Banks - No more ideas from you right now:glasses: . You got me doing HIIT and Tabata... I get plyo from my trainer and core and strength too.
    My husband is complaining because I have no more energy for HIM when he gets home. LMAO:laugh:

what is tabata and plyo
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Banks - No more ideas from you right now:glasses: . You got me doing HIIT and Tabata... I get plyo from my trainer and core and strength too.
    My husband is complaining because I have no more energy for HIM when he gets home. LMAO:laugh:

what is tabata and plyo

Here is a good link for Tabata...
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2130197_interval-training-elite-athletes-explained.html
  • Tinker73
    Tinker73 Posts: 45
    Options
    Well last year I joined the Canadian Military and failed the CF Express test for the run and push ups.I had the option to stay and go on this program called RFT(Recruit Fitness Training) .RFT is ment to push you hard and get you ready for basic training.I was on RFT for 3 months cause of the push ups.I finally made on platoon and I can tell you that RFT training was 1000% harder.On platoon is all a mind game.After getting hurt and having to leave :ohwell: I now try to train just as hard on my own.I do like it better when getting screamed at which really motivates me. I would like to be in your Boot Camp class.:flowerforyou:
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    My son signed up for the Marines and leaves after high school next June. They have what they call PT (not sure what that stands for) every Wednesday to get them ready for basics. I ask him each time what they did and it sounds WAAAAYYY harder than the "boot camp" you described. To me boot camp is something I would strive to do but probably never could because it should be so hard. I hope that is not the norm.

PT Stands for PHYSICAL TRAINING .. And don't let him think its like high school where you run the foot ball field a few times.. they work you until you throw up... They never stop doing PT.. My boyfriend is going on 6 years and he Pt's 3-4 times a week and when they deploy he works out even harder... Your son will hate it but it's a wonderful Career
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    here's my idea of my modefied boot camp, it's short, but it's a lot of Extremely high intensity all packed into 1 hour. For a real bootcamp I would probably throw in some other resistance stuff like squat thrusts, plyometric 360s, and monkey rolls.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9051-want-weight-loss-push-your-body-to-the-limits

There is no way I could do that without someone there yelling at me.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    here's my idea of my modefied boot camp, it's short, but it's a lot of Extremely high intensity all packed into 1 hour. For a real bootcamp I would probably throw in some other resistance stuff like squat thrusts, plyometric 360s, and monkey rolls.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9051-want-weight-loss-push-your-body-to-the-limits

hehe, you get used to it. I actually don't really do this one right now any more, I have a broken bone in my foot, so anything more than 20 minutes or so of hard running or jumping, and I'm toast. So I do a lot of tabata protocol now, that and full body circuit. Soon as this bone heals though... I'm right back into it.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

I'm going to try that at the gym this afternoon.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

hehe, you get used to it. I actually don't really do this one right now any more, I have a broken bone in my foot, so anything more than 20 minutes or so of hard running or jumping, and I'm toast. So I do a lot of tabata protocol now, that and full body circuit. Soon as this bone heals though... I'm right back into it.

:laugh: It's the getting to the point of getting used to it that is the problem. :bigsmile:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Banks, I'd love a coach like you. I perform better when I have someone to be pissed at... I don't give up out of spite.
  • jessie1
    jessie1 Posts: 46
    Options
    thanks for the info! I printed it out and want to try it. Right now im doing the p90 and loving it but theres always room in my life for some new workouts! haha I also do kickboxing and love it! I want to get my certification and teach kickboxing classes.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options

I'm going to try that at the gym this afternoon.

It kicks my BUTT! I am on the 2:3 ratio now and I jack the level up to 10 on the elliptical during the sprints (I can't do the treadmill or bike because of my knees) I am always dripping sweat and feeling great after (once I get my breath back :wink: ).
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I do a bootcamp every MWF. You are pushed to you limit in that hour. We do different things each day. Sometimes we do weight training stuff other days we run or we do a mix of both. By the end of the hour you should be ready to puke or you didn't put enough in. The bootcamp is run by an ex-marine turned doctor.

I have seen some people not give it their all and then they don't come back. You can usually tell who they are in the beginning. Today was a running day for us. Interval training. Walk, Jog, Sprint. Some people never got out of the walk stage. (Ok, I was one of them but I have a valid medical excuse - severe tendonitist of the shin). There were some people who litterally could ring out their shirts. :sick: I guess it depends on what your trainer knows and what they want you get out of it and also what you want to get out it.
  • April0815
    Options
    SHBoss is it ok to try this on the eliptical instead of the treadmill
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i have been doing a fitness bootcamp - completed 7 out of 8 so far. next one is tomorrow. we do ab work, plyometrics, cardio, and 2 rounds of 8 weight or resistance stations for 2 minutes at each station (cardio in between so we are always moving).

by the end, i am completely drenched in sweat, out of breath, and shakey. last boot camp one of the stations was stair lunges with weights. i went up and down 3 times in 2 minutes, then the second round i took one step and my leg felt like jello! i went up and down twice that time, holding the rail on the way down because i was afraid my legs would give out.

i think its a pretty intense work out. as a matter of fact, my legs are so sore today its really hard to get around. i think the heat and cardio push us over the top a bit.

i dont know all the names to our excercises but they are not easy. i am excited to keep it up for the 3 weeks we are off, starting back up in september (they have other overlapping camps going on). i can totally see a change already and i have only done 7!!!

on another note, i am wondering if i should take in some extra protein today to help the soreness. does that sound right banks?
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options

I thanked you boss for linking me to the other thread. I'm going to try it!

I must be a masochist because I too think having you as a trainer would be good. The little voice inside my head sounds like yours... that said, I can be heard swearing and b*tching across the neighbourhood when doing Billy Blanks' bootcamp dvds. He takes my name calling quite well I must say...:bigsmile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    SHBoss is it ok to try this on the eliptical instead of the treadmill

what, tabata? Traditionally it was done on a spinning bike, but you can use any cardio equipment for it, as long as you get your heart rate up really high it should work.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    I did the real boot camp 20 years ago when I was 18 thin and in shape and it was a lot harder than what you described.
  • April0815
    Options
    what is plyometrics?
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    So I'm at baseball practice yesterday ((I play on a mens baseball team in the summer), and there's this woman out on the field (off the baseball part, but still pretty close) and she has some cones set up, and about 8 people with her. And she starts putting them through drills. Now I watch this for about 45 minutes until they finish (which was right around when we were finishing up too.

And she walks by and I ask her, what kind of program is that, cuz I'm curious, and about to go test for my Personal Training certification, and new Ideas are always welcome, and she says to me, "Boot Camp". I blinked, recovered, and said "oh", and she continued walking by.

Why am I so befuddled you ask? Well, because I was watching this program, with about 8 people, none of which were out of shape, all of which could run at least 50 yards at a time without difficulty. And she put them through this light-medium paced workout of about a dozen sprints, a few jumping jacks, and about 10 yard 4 corners, and finishing up with about a minute of jumping jacks and a minute of mountain climbers.

I'm horrified. If this is what they consider boot camp, they would literally fall over dead after one of my boot camps.

I mean, that's fine if that's what they want to do, but don't call it boot camp, that's an insult to the military. Seriously, boot camp should be work-your-*kitten*-so-hard-you're-falling-over-on-the-verge-of-puking hard, not lightly out of breath and just barely breaking a sweat.

I hope this isn't indicative of other Personal trainer boot camps out there. Anyone else ever done one? I mean to me a boot camp should be 2 hours minimum, with about 35 to 40 minutes of it dedicated to drop dead, maximum effort cardio, then another 30 dedicated to hard resistance routines, and another 20 minutes dedicated to stretching and isometrics (and 20 minutes dedicated to rest) Anything less than this is just a normal work out in my opinion.

dunno, this is JMHO, I guess I grew up in a different time.

I don't see the point of joining a boot camp if u aren't going to feel like puking at the end
    Sounds like you will be an excellent trainer Boss :devil:

plyometrics is jump training, no?
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    what is plyometrics?

it is INSANE! :noway:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: