Ok so is it okay to be pissed off at the following situation

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If she had eaten the food, it still would have cost you the same amount. You haven't lost anything. Eat what you want and throw out the rest. Just because there is food in front of your face doesn't mean it has to go into your face.

Yup.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I'd let her know that the next time she wanted to buy something neither of you otherwise eat because of your eating habits, she better come through on her end. It's like going to an expensive restaurant, ordering a $50 lobster, then saying you're not hungry and you're allergic to shellfish.

YES!
    You got it right on the nose. It's like....REALLY?

I mean we're really good friends. She's like 7 yrs younger. We've been room mates before. I don't know why I'd expect her to be more considerate, considering *some* of the things she's done in the past. And this isn't intended to portray her character negatively in any way. I think her age has something to do with it. At 19 I wasn't exactly thinking about how the consequences of my actions. So this is why I let most things go with her.
    But I totally let her know that I considered this an act of sabotage on my dietary goals... lol

Yeah, what your friend did was rude. Know what else is rude? generalizing 19 year olds based on how irresponsible you were aged 19. Ever consider she's inconsiderate with you because she let her be by forgiving her for doing inconsiderate things?

Also, reading way too much into this. I'd be more annoyed about wasting money than anything else...
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would not have payed for the whole thing. Made her drop half before she left and if she didn't I would have refused the food when it came but that's just me.

so its the restaurants fault that these 2 had a spat? get real

No but it is not my fault either that my "friend" decided to go and stick me with the bill and a whole lot of unwanted food. So how about you get real.

sticking the restaurant with YOUR problem or your friends is totally lame. the restaurant didnt do anything wrong.

Well I'd rather be lame then on a forums pissed and complaining. I will agree to disagree with your point of view.

I'm ranting and seeking other people's opinions thankyouverymuch.
    DAMN SON causing a ruckus on my thread lol

I don't think I could have refused the food...kind of not cool to do. But yes agree to disagree.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    I think I'll be freezing it.

To those of you suggesting I throw it out...there's two reactions I have. One is that this could be reasonable, considering the health problems associated with such food. BUT...my initial reaction is that you obviously must live in a bubble of privilege.
    I know, who am I to say this after having wasted more than $20 on ordered food which could have bought me lots of groceries for the week. But seriously, I don't see the point in throwing food out. I've never done that unless it was rotten!
    I think it's a poor person thing. I'm not poor by some standards, and some standards yes.
    But I def grew up poor and have been taught differently about wasting food.
    Then of course there is the argument that this isn't really food. True enough. But after spending the money it damn well better be,
    Forgive my rant and reaction.
    I'm a sociology grad student. So I tend to tear apart just about every argument with which I'm presented.

agree 100%!!!!!!! im not "poor" and im not rich either but i do not waste food!!! it kills me when i have to waste food! i freeze almost everything. because i just hate to waste it. no matter what it is i try to use it. i feel like #1 money went into it, #2 an animal had to sacrifice its life for my nutrition so i wont let it die in vain #3 the old, "there are starving kids out there that would kill for that" guilt trip lol
  • kiminita
    Options

I'd let her know that the next time she wanted to buy something neither of you otherwise eat because of your eating habits, she better come through on her end. It's like going to an expensive restaurant, ordering a $50 lobster, then saying you're not hungry and you're allergic to shellfish.

YES!
    You got it right on the nose. It's like....REALLY?

I mean we're really good friends. She's like 7 yrs younger. We've been room mates before. I don't know why I'd expect her to be more considerate, considering *some* of the things she's done in the past. And this isn't intended to portray her character negatively in any way. I think her age has something to do with it. At 19 I wasn't exactly thinking about how the consequences of my actions. So this is why I let most things go with her.
    But I totally let her know that I considered this an act of sabotage on my dietary goals... lol

Yeah, what your friend did was rude. Know what else is rude? generalizing 19 year olds based on how irresponsible you were aged 19. Ever consider she's inconsiderate with you because she let her be by forgiving her for doing inconsiderate things?

Also, reading way too much into this. I'd be more annoyed about wasting money than anything else...

It's also rude to assume I'm generalizing. These are conclusions I'm drawing based on my relationship with her. She's intelligent, articulate and very sweet. Because she has positive characteristics otherwise, I've concluded that her inconsiderate moments will diminish with age. You really do learn a lot by living. I swear I'm not adult-ist or age-ist. or whatever.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    BUT...my initial reaction is that you obviously must live in a bubble of privilege.

Seems a little ridiculous to assume that everyone who is telling you to toss it out so you're not tempted must be "priviledged" don't you think? That's quite the assumption (and consequently a wrong one on your part).

I, too, grew up dirt poor, and I throw things out when I don't want them in my house including food I don't want to eat.

If throwing it out isn't something you want to do, then don't. Eat it in sensible portions mixed with healthier food options over several days, but don't go assuming that you know what other people's mentality is because they tell you to toss out some food! Yikes.

Also, as far as your original problem, yeah, you have the right to be angry at your friend for sure. She shafted you into this situation, but you also made the choice to enter into that situation as well. It's not entirely her fault, but you do have the right be annoyed.
  • rottiegirl22
    rottiegirl22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm going to tell you to make a big ceremony over throwing it away and give yourself a prize of a super expensive healthy lunch for wasting food.

And this is why. Wasting food comes from your past. It's been ingrained in your head your whole life that the starving kids in Ethiopia will somehow be more starved if you waste food. And getting over the guilt of wasting food is going to take you so much farther in your own goals. I know this from personal experience. Growing up, we couldn't leave the table until our plates were clean. We heard all about those starving kids (who by the way, are malnourished, not starving). And it took me YEARS and a whole lot of pounds gained to get over wasting food. So, waste the food. Be proud of yourself for wasting the food, donate to a food pantry, and treat yourself right despite all the people in the world who don't get the nourishment they need.

Then later, if you're feeling snarky, you can thank her for the opportunity to allow you to grow past the guilt of wasting food. And some day, when your eyes are bigger than your stomach and you're craving something not very good for you you'll be able to order it, take a few bites to satiate the craving, and say no thank you to the rest. And you'll be glad you tossed the nasty wings and pizza :)
  • Ebwash89
    Ebwash89 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think I understand what your saying. You feel weasled into eating all that bad food and she didnt even take a bite. Looking at it ffrom experience I would feel the same way. Like she was trying to sabotage my diet. I've actually had someone do this to me, that I thought was close to me. Buying a whole cake size of bread pudding and trying to force me to eat half knowing I cant. Freeze the rest and have it later or throw it away. I would feel like why all the sudden does she not want the pizza.
  • Suziq1023
    Suziq1023 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Be p*\\ed - I would! Consider it a lesson learned for $25 and go on down the road with new resolve to do what's best for YOU and to not be suckered in my inconsiderate people. I need to reread your original post - you did say friend didn't you? Really?
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    For the food, try knocking on a few doors, preferably of neighbors you've seen around & have a "nodding acquaintanceship" with. Food in hand, explain that it's too much for you and ask if they would like it. Give first prefernce to doors with cute hunky guys living behind them :), and then to places with multiple teenagers and/or starving students.

For the friend - that's trickier. I'd make it a policy never to go in together on a treat again. If she wanted pizza and wings, I'd tell her that I'd be ordering a salad for myself, or at least getting half the pizza with cheese-plus-veggie toppings only. *Then I'd make sure that her share of the money was in myhand before I placed the order.* If she balked at any of this, I'd calmly mention that things hadn't worked out so well for me the last time we tried this, and explain that I now felt that I needed to take these sorts of upfront precautions to protect our friendship against something like that happening again. (OTOH, YMMV :).

(ETA: If it somehow come to the point where you have to eat the food or throw it out, ask yourself where the food would be better disposed of: in a landfill or in your body? I was also brought up to regard "wasting food" as a crime ranking somewhere in between "treason" and "treason in time of war;" but eventually decided that If I was eating food just to get rid of it, that was also a (rather harmful to me) form of waste.)
  • kiminita
    Options
    BUT...my initial reaction is that you obviously must live in a bubble of privilege.

Seems a little ridiculous to assume that everyone who is telling you to toss it out so you're not tempted must be "priviledged" don't you think? That's quite the assumption (and consequently a wrong one on your part).

I, too, grew up dirt poor, and I throw things out when I don't want them in my house including food I don't want to eat.

If throwing it out isn't something you want to do, then don't. Eat it in sensible portions mixed with healthier food options over several days, but don't go assuming that you know what other people's mentality is because they tell you to toss out some food!

I absolutely stand by what I say and don't regard it as rude. Here's why..
    When I say privilege, I don't mean to assume that their mentality, incomes, etc.
    I DO assume that privilege can mean a wide range of things, INCLUDING the knowledge that "wasting" "food" is not likely going to help starving people anywhere in the world, or the knowledge that this stuff isn't good for me at all.
    Or even the knowledge about food nutrition in general.
    Or the ability to post about this on a forum.
    Do you see where I'm coming from? Don't take it personal. It just means you have access to things that some don't. And there's nothing wrong with that. You have access to things mentioned previously. And so do I.

I don't know many people that can afford to pay for food and subsequently throw it out, even if it IS expensive restaurant food.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If she had eaten the food, it still would have cost you the same amount. You haven't lost anything. Eat what you want and throw out the rest. Just because there is food in front of your face doesn't mean it has to go into your face.
    this
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    IF we didn't have inconsiderate friends, we wouldn't recognize the considerate ones.
    Throw it away, lesson learned, and move on.
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    First, yes your friend was rude to order and leave. Second what is done is done. You have every right to be annoyed and even angry at her. Freeze the food or throw it away, the choice is really yours. This is a life lesson and one you can learn from and be better prepared for in the future when you to go out. Her reasons and motivations is really not the issue here. It is your ability to go on from here and make the best out of a bad situation. I grew up poor and get the whole waste not want not thing. However you need to decide how you want to deal with it and move on. Your wasting way to much energy being mad or annoyed or whatever your feeling. Channel it into something positive like a walk, cleaning or just a day of fun. Good Luck on your journey!!:wink:
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

If throwing it out isn't something you want to do, then don't. Eat it in sensible portions mixed with healthier food options over several days, but don't go assuming that you know what other people's mentality is because they tell you to toss out some food!

I absolutely stand by what I say and don't regard it as rude. Here's why..
    When I say privilege, I don't mean to assume that their mentality, incomes, etc.
    I DO assume that privilege can mean a wide range of things, INCLUDING the knowledge that "wasting" "food" is not likely going to help starving people anywhere in the world, or the knowledge that this stuff isn't good for me at all.
    Or even the knowledge about food nutrition in general.
    Or the ability to post about this on a forum.
    Do you see where I'm coming from? Don't take it personal. It just means you have access to things that some don't. And there's nothing wrong with that. You have access to things mentioned previously. And so do I.

I don't know many people that can afford to pay for food and subsequently throw it out, even if it IS expensive restaurant food.

OP, I agree with you. I was surprised at the quick responses of "throw it out!" If I'm recalling correctly, the United States wastes something like close to half of the food it has annually. I'd mostly be ticked that my friend ordered it with me, and then left without eating some, even more than the cost; it's just rude when you're both trying to eat better and decided to share something not-so-good. I'd also try to find a way to freeze it if I couldn't find a way to give it away. I only throw away food that is inedible because it's rotten, even if I'd rather not eat it because it's leftovers from something not so healthy, or I'm just tired of it. I can save it and still eat it in sensible portions so it doesn't affect total calories, and just make a better decision next time. So, try to find a way to save it or give it away, and next time you want something you consider a treat, just order for yourself.
  • Mommyofseven
    Options
    I'm going to tell you to make a big ceremony over throwing it away and give yourself a prize of a super expensive healthy lunch for wasting food.

And this is why. Wasting food comes from your past. It's been ingrained in your head your whole life that the starving kids in Ethiopia will somehow be more starved if you waste food. And getting over the guilt of wasting food is going to take you so much farther in your own goals. I know this from personal experience. Growing up, we couldn't leave the table until our plates were clean. We heard all about those starving kids (who by the way, are malnourished, not starving). And it took me YEARS and a whole lot of pounds gained to get over wasting food. So, waste the food. Be proud of yourself for wasting the food, donate to a food pantry, and treat yourself right despite all the people in the world who don't get the nourishment they need.

Then later, if you're feeling snarky, you can thank her for the opportunity to allow you to grow past the guilt of wasting food. And some day, when your eyes are bigger than your stomach and you're craving something not very good for you you'll be able to order it, take a few bites to satiate the craving, and say no thank you to the rest. And you'll be glad you tossed the nasty wings and pizza :)

I grew up in a family that struggled to get enough to eat. There are many ways to handle food you do not want. Throwing away food that someone can benefit from is not a thing to be proud of. So many people in THiS country are struggling to find their next meal. And yes, there are children who die from starvation in Ethiopia.

I had a friend who frequently sabatoged my eating habits while making it seem like "we" were doing it together. After several times, I confronted myself...and stopped allowing her to have that power over me. A decade has passed, I make healthy choices...she rates fast food most days. We haven't ordered food together for ten years. It was rude. Give the food away. You are not wrong to be upset.
  • kiminita
    Options
    I appreciate the responses and diverse view points....
    But seriously stop telling me I'm wasting energy.
    It was a rant intended to relieve a bit of frustration and to see how other people might react.
    I don't post about this type of thing often.
    Telling me I'm wasting energy is the equivalent of telling me that I don't know or understand how to direct my energy to things that are positive.

End rant here.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    It was a rant intended to relieve a bit of frustration and to see how other people might react.
    Telling me I'm wasting energy is the equivalent of telling me that I don't know or understand how to direct my energy to things that are positive.

End rant here.

now you are wasting energy about wasting energy about wasting food? LOL...just joking...wanna get a pizza later? my treat
  • kiminita
    Options

End rant here.

now you are wasting energy about wasting energy about wasting food? LOL...just joking...wanna get a pizza later? my treat

I HEART YOU.
    Come to Champaign, IL and finish this pizza with me!!!! *kitten* my weightloss goals.....
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'd be upset too. It was a decision that, from what you said, was made by the both of you. If she knew her time crunch was going to cause her to not have the food (and really with delivery I always expect to be waiting an hour or so) then it was inconsiderate on her part to not only just leave before the food meant to be consumed by you both got there, but to not ask that maybe you save her some and she would come by later.

Maybe she had second thoughts, I don't know, but that's rude when you were active in the decision and someone else has paid for it. You wasted money and now you're going to have to waste food. If she changed her mind she could have at least said so instead of scooting off and playing the safe route of having a telephone be the communication tool where she's not only nowhere near you, but could hang up if she chose to.

Call me crazy, but wouldn't that be a shade like "if you're friend jumped off the cliff, would you"?

Honestly, I think you both had second thoughts on whether it was a good choice, and she bailed to avoid the temptation.

In your case, you had serious second thoughts too. Sounds like you are good friends for each other and will help each other succeed in the long run.

Be mad for 5 minutes, toss the crap into the bin and call your friend to go for a jog.