Downside of portion sizes

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
...is that I am constantly washing teaspoons and tablespoons and measuring cups. It's ridiculous.

Replies

• jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options
    Ha! I was complaining about the same thing last night. Stupid washing of stuff.... why must life be so difficult?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You save that time in the shower, not washing all those extra pounds.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    measure in grams instead... get a scale that will tare...
    turn it on.... add bowl/ dish.... zero... add ingredient 1 to weight desired.... zero... add ingredient 2 to weight desired..... zero... etc etc until it's done.... only thing maybe dirtied is what you scoop the item out with if so required.
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You sound like such a guy. Lol... You have to keep washing forks and spoons and knives and plates and glasses and bowls.. lol. The joys of cooking and eating! ;)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Lol.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Then I must sound like a guy too because I agree - it is the worst part! :grumble:

I hate doing dishes.

If I could marry my dishwasher, I absolutely would. I have declared my devotion to it, unfortunately it has a thing going with the sink.

:embarassed:
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Amen :flowerforyou:
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Two words: dixie cups.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    That's why I bought a food scale :P
  • DestroyTheOpposition
    DestroyTheOpposition Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Just made me laugh out loud!
  • Trilaina
    Trilaina Posts: 61
    Options
    I have a few sets of each so I can just wash them all at once instead of over and over again. ^.^
  • kmayne
    kmayne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    turn it on.... add bowl/ dish.... zero... add ingredient 1 to weight desired.... zero... add ingredient 2 to weight desired..... zero... etc etc until it's done.... only thing maybe dirtied is what you scoop the item out with if so required.
    This is exactly what I do. Anything with a weight associated with the serving size, I weigh it right into my serving bowl. And if you're doing a non-packaged food like raw zucchini, use the "100 gram" portion size and scale it to your actual portion.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options

where is the LIKE button *pmsl*
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Then I must sound like a guy too because I agree - it is the worst part! :grumble:

I hate doing dishes.

If I could marry my dishwasher, I absolutely would. I have declared my devotion to it, unfortunately it has a thing going with the sink.

:embarassed:

Same here... except I don't have a dishwasher. Not only do I hate washing dishes, I'm going through hand lotion like nobody's business.
  • CrazyMidget611
    CrazyMidget611 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    LOL it's so true!
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

This is what I do, and so my diary is more precise (to the 1g) but can be a pain when the battery starts to run out and it won't go to 0 or goes to some odd numbers!! Also I realised liquids don't quite measure in g, best to use a measuring jug if you can. But its usually only a sight difference, to do with the density i think....
  • reka74
    reka74 Posts: 70
    Options
    I bought a few sets too.
    I leave some of them in the jar (like oatmeal or flax seeds jar) and don'd even bother to wash them LOL
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Two words: dixie cups.

I love this idea. I was actually gonna say, the downside of portion sizes is the fact that they're so freakishly small...BUT, a lightbulb in my head went on when I saw your "dixie cup" post.....

I'm gonna eat dixie cup portions of EVERYTHING..lol..I could probably learn to love freakishly small portions.
  • SilentJo
    SilentJo Posts: 66
    Options
    I feel the same freakin' way, lol. My hubby was talking about buying more sets from the dollar store. But I like the Dixie Cup idea, I've also been keeping note of how much certain amounts fill up specific bowls/containers, and sometimes mark it off with a sharpie.

jo
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I bought a set to keep at work, too...and I just have the cheap little scale with a container that you dump everything in to, and I always have to wash that. May need to get a digital one.