Hard Water Aerobics Workout?

Options
Hi all,

I'm in decent shape, and I really enjoy working out in the pool, but I find that most water aerobics exercises are a little too easy. I'd like to make it more challenging. I'm looking more for resistence training than cardio so swimming endless laps is not really what I'm going for.

I have a kickboard, gloves that increase resistence in the water, and aqua dumbells. I'm a very good swimmer.

Just looking for a few ideas to push myself a little harder in the pool. Suggestions?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    36d92_ORIG-bump.jpg
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Do you do shallow or deep?

If you do shallow you might want to add ankle floats/weights also add weights/floats to your wrists

Try moving to the deep if its offered I find it offers a good work out for core.

Already in deep:
    Add ankle floats.
    Take your waist belt off.
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I practically live in the pool... Any exercise you can do on land you can do in the water. I use water weights and jog and box at the same time in about 4 feet of water. you can also jog in water, treat water in deeper water, do pushups on the side of the pool, do pull ups on the ladder bars, do jumping, squats, jacks, etc, use the water weights to tone arms, lean against the side of the pool and do crunches, side crunches, etc, I do kick boxing in the pool and tai chi. You can do anything and the water will A. provide support for your joints and B. give you added resistance on every single move you make.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Do you do shallow or deep?

If you do shallow you might want to add ankle floats/weights also add weights/floats to your wrists

Try moving to the deep if its offered I find it offers a good work out for core.

Already in deep:
    Add ankle floats.
    Take your waist belt off.

Unfortunately my gym pool is only 4'6" deep at its deepest. I'm 5'8" so this is about upper chest height for me. I'm relegated to shallow.

I'd love to do more deep water workouts.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    bump??? no suggestions?
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump so I can find this later
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I practically live in the pool... Any exercise you can do on land you can do in the water. I use water weights and jog and box at the same time in about 4 feet of water. you can also jog in water, treat water in deeper water, do pushups on the side of the pool, do pull ups on the ladder bars, do jumping, squats, jacks, etc, use the water weights to tone arms, lean against the side of the pool and do crunches, side crunches, etc, I do kick boxing in the pool and tai chi. You can do anything and the water will A. provide support for your joints and B. give you added resistance on every single move you make.

Some good suggestions there. I'll look into doing more of them.

Thanks!
  • bignas76
    bignas76 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to take 3 classes a week. 2 of them were just your basic lunges, jacks, etc. but the saturday class is insane. Try sprinting from end to end, then frog jumps end to end, forwards and backwards, power pucnes and kicks, 2 min kicks while holding onto the side, and my favorite push ups on the sides of the pool.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I used to take 3 classes a week. 2 of them were just your basic lunges, jacks, etc. but the saturday class is insane. Try sprinting from end to end, then frog jumps end to end, forwards and backwards, power pucnes and kicks, 2 min kicks while holding onto the side, and my favorite push ups on the sides of the pool.

I like these ideas! Thanks!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    Hi all, so after 2 water workouts, I was able to up the difficulty.

This is my 60 minute routine:

Warm up: 5 laps of high-knee jog forward for 25 meters, high knees backwards for 25 meters progressively getting faster and pushing harder with each lap. Last lap should be at 80-90% intensity to get HR up.

Cycle 1: (these should be done at a pace that keeps your HR at or about 140-160 depending on fitness level)
    1. 25m squat jumps forward, 25m squat jumps backward
    2. 20 chest flyes with aqua barbells
    3. 25m lunges forward, 25m lunges backward
    4. 20 pullups on ladder
    5. 25m walking side split lunge (right leg forward), 25m walking side split lunge (left leg forward) with aqua gloves to increase resistence in arms
    6. 20 suntan/supermans (start on your belly with dumbells ahead of you with your arms straight and your legs just under the surface of the water (superman position). Use your abs to curl your legs into your body and roll yourself backwards pulling your arms up into your armpits. Stretch your legs out at the surface (suntan position). Reverse to come back to superman position. This is one suntan/superman).
    REPEAT 5 times

Cycle 2:
    1. 20 back flyes (hold your arms straight out in front of you with aqua dumbells and stand (not against the wall) in sumo squat pose. Use your abs to hold yourself steady and lean slightly forward to hold your balance. Pull with your lats your arms in a circle to your back at the surface of the water. Think of making a snow-angel with your arms. Pull back as far as you can, hold 5 seconds, then come back to front).
    2. 20 curls (stand in sumo squat position using your abs to stabilize yourself with your arms at 90 degrees with dumbells in each hand. Lean forward as far as you can keeping your chest forward. Pull with your triceps until the dumbells are at your hips, hold for 5 seconds, then return SLOWLY to start position).
    3. 20 alternating presses (sit with your back against the wall in wide sumo squat position using your abs to hold yourself with your arms straight out in front of you with dumbells in each hand. Press right arms down to the water and into your left inner thigh, hold 5 seconds, return slowly to start position, repeat with left arm/right inner thigh. This is 1 rep.)
    4. 20 chest flyes (stand with your legs wide apart (toes pointed slightly outward) straight. Lean forward keeping your back straight and your arms out to your sides with dumbells in each hand. Use your abs and lower back to hold your upper body straight. You should only be bending at the hips. Push both arms down in front of you slowly until the dumbells meet just below the hips. Hold 5 seconds, and come back to start with a slow deliberate motion).
    REPEAT 5 times.

Cooldown: Repeat warmup in reverse.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else needs suggestion and to say thanks to those who offered suggestions. They were very helpful :)
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for sharing!