Red Dye 40

Options
bri1720
bri1720 Posts: 254 Member
Anyone follow the eliminate Red Dye 40 from their or their children's diets?

I've always heard random things, but two thigs occured to me today:

1. I got a headache after I drank my Hawaiian Punch water flavoring today, and
2. My son is currently being tested for ADHD and ODD and maybe this is one of the factors

I briefly ooked into it here at work and the number of articles regarding children with ADHD and/or the negative side effects of it were astounding.

I wanted to see if anyone had any experiences with this. What better place than MFP where we are all pretty self conscious of what we consume, right???

Thank in advance for any of your input!!!

Replies

• pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My DH gets really sick from it - long term on the toilet type stuff.

Interestingly enough, we just found out that a good alternative is beet juice!
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have had trouble with red dye since I was a kid. I used to get so wound up at school parties and other functions. It was like being totally out of control. My husband and I had our first married fight because of it. I had a slushy at the beginning of a fourteen hour trip. I couldn't understand why he had a problem with me putting my head on the floor and my feet on the roof if I kept my seat belt on!

I try to avoid it as much as possible now. I do have a bit every once in awhile. It's better than any energy drink when I need to stay up, but it is painful the next day. Headaches, muscle aches and moodiness usually follow when I have more than just a sip.

I only let my kids have it on occasion, mostly because I remember feeling so out of control as a kid, and I don't want my kids to have to go through that.
  • bri1720
    Options
    Oh, tammykoon!!! I would have paid to see that!!! LOL
    Thank you for the info. I'm goig to try limiting some of the foods that contain Red 40 and see if it helps my son.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Food dyes definitely cause hyperactivity. My mom wouldn't let me go NEAR yellow food dye when I was a kid because I was super hyper after ingesting it. I have had issues with red dyes, but it's mostly been rashes instead of behavior changes.
    Food dyes are scary things!!
  • Breezedew
    Breezedew Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sorry this took so long :(
    Yes, we found out about 3 years ago my son, then he was 5 was allergic to RED dye. We had him tested for everything under the sun. He was allergic to dairy when he was a baby and that was a nightmare. But it got better with dairy around 4 then the red dye thing hit. He was NUTS when he ate it, then got a rash, headache and felt sick later in the day. Like in a state I couldn't control him at all. I would hold his arm and he would be powerfully tryign to get away. I would yell and it's like he didn't hear me.

We had him tested for ADD/ADHD and it came out negative. He was being HORRIBLE in school and I was crying at night. We finally went back to the allergist that helped us with the dairy. BINGO. Red dye, which is made by squished pregnant bugs, by the way.

We took him off, COMPLETELY, and it was hard but we did it and we had a 100% different KID> The teacher was astounded! We were in disbeleif.

It's in everything. We then did a long, hard elimination. was it carmel coloring, yellow, green and blue dye too? After about a year, we confirmed it was Red Dye.

No more red candy, yogurt, tylonal, benedryl, cough medicine, red frosting etc.

Life has been so much better and easier. We shop at Trader Joes, they have lots of candy dyed with veggie juice. We ordered natural dye off of amazon for cupcakes, but use very little. I learned how to boil down beet juice and sugar too, to color things.

My entire family can tell a difference and now actually taste the "dye" taste. My kids say, they can taste the bugs if they get it.

I'm sorry I typed this so fast and I have a ton of letters I have wrote to care givers on what food he can have and not. I can send you one if you would like. I will be on the "real" computer tomorrow too. So If I can help anyway, ask away!!

Even if you don't find it as the "cause" of trouble, I'd still get it out of my diet. The red bug dye they put in your frosting is the same they use to dye clothes and make red paint. Not good for anyone. Also, I believe, we are the only country that has not outlawed it. Come on Americans, it will still taste like cherry if it's white, red bugs don't make it taste better !

Hugs!!
    Breeze
  • Feingolder
    Options
    It's not just red or yellow dye! Get rid of 7 synthetic food dyes. There is a great support group I belong to called the Feingold Assoc. www.feingold.org. There's also a good yahoo group http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feingold-Program4us/ Check them out.
  • esalzman
    esalzman Posts: 3
    Options
    My neice and to some degree myself, are allergic to red dye 40. My poor neice is only 18 months old. She immediately vomits and breaks out in hives/rash when she ingests it. I get mildly sick and my throat swells. The best solution for this is to eat organic.
  • bri1720
    Options
    It's not just red or yellow dye! Get rid of 7 synthetic food dyes. There is a great support group I belong to called the Feingold Assoc. www.feingold.org. There's also a good yahoo group http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feingold-Program4us/ Check them out.

I had another friend suggest this too, but haven't checked it out yet. Thank you so much!!
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    And with WHAT does everyone color EGGS at Easter time?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    And with WHAT does everyone color EGGS at Easter time?

Human blood.
  • countryrayne
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I had no idea red die can cause these problems with some people! My daughter has allergies so i will have to keep this in mind.