Swollen

Options
memaw66
memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
My legs (especially the right one) have been swollen from the calf all the way down to my toes. It looks like I have little sausages attached to my feet. Not attractive at all. I thought it was from all the food I ate during our cruise and maybe from all the walking. Well, we have been back for 3 days now, I'm drinking lots of water (trying to flush any extra sodium out) (I don't add salt to my food but not sure how much was in the food on the cruise). How long should it take for the swelling to go down? Also, the week before we left I had a steroid injection in my right knee, could that have anything to do with it?
Is there anything else I can do to get rid of he swelling? Sometimes it looks like it's going away and then an hour later it looks bad again. Anyone have any suggestions? Please help.

Memaw

Edit: And for some reason, my right ankle really hurts when I rotate my foot (like when you try to pop your ankle bone, it is very painful) I haven't fallen or twisted it or anything???

Replies

• heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    call your doctor!!!! right away!!!!
  • memaw66
    Options
    Is this bad?
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I agree. Call your doctor. I don't know if it's bad, if it's nothing... I'm not qualified to give you an explanation for the swelling, but your doctor is. Better to be safe and get his or her opinion. :smile:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    call your doctor, right away, you might have a blood clot in your leg that could travel. this is serious! Call your doctor and do not take no for an answer!
  • heather0mc
    Options
    Is this bad?

sounds like it could be memaw! i hope its nothing but i wouldnt waste time on a swollen leg...:flowerforyou:
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    Pretty serious stuff, head to the Doctor.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    i used to be a receptionist at a consulting nurse facility ( i have no medical background) but that was a symptom that was considered urgent. Call before the office closes
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I agree, lower leg swelling is never good. Even if it is not a clot it could be compartment syndrome which is also very serious. In the meantime, do NOT add any compression to the lower leg which could make compartment syndrome worse. Please see your doctor as soon as possible.
  • ylin
    ylin Posts: 16
    Options
    i would call the 24 hour hotline with your health insurance carrier and speak to a nurse regarding your situation first.

when i went on vacation to Europe, i had shoes that supported my feet poorly and they quickly became swollen walking on cobblestones and such. they were VERY swollen. my ankles, feet, and calves looked like 20 lb stumps and it took about a week for it to recover after i got back from vacation. keep in mind i was walking about 10 hours a day for 10 days straight in these shoes.

i wouldn't worry about it too much, depending on how much you've walked, but DO call a nurse for professional advice.
  • memaw66
    Options
    Okay, well it's past 5pm today so they are closed. I will call them tomorrow. I am also going to wear different shoes to see if that helps. Maybe these shoes are too confining??? I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks for the advice.

Memaw
  • proctor0828
    Options
    totally agree call your doctor!!!
  • memaw66
    Options
    Do you think this could also be part of my weight gain? I mean, my clothes still fit the same and with gaining 10lbs I would think that my clothes would feel more snug, especially since I just went into a smaller size?? Just wondering???
  • heather0mc
    Options
    Okay, well it's past 5pm today so they are closed. I will call them tomorrow. I am also going to wear different shoes to see if that helps. Maybe these shoes are too confining??? I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks for the advice.

Memaw

um, well....are you sure there isnt anyone you can call?
  • heather0mc
    Options
    Do you think this could also be part of my weight gain? I mean, my clothes still fit the same and with gaining 10lbs I would think that my clothes would feel more snug, especially since I just went into a smaller size?? Just wondering???

no. but i am no doc. :ohwell:
  • czewwhat
    Options

If it is a clot situation, your body will build up fluid (weight) to force it out, it can go to your heart and be very deadly. Please memaw, call your doctor! the worst case is we are wrong, but your doctor will know what to do!
  • heather0mc
    Options

If it is a clot situation, your body will build up fluid (weight) to force it out, it can go to your heart and be very deadly. Please memaw, call your doctor!

yes, my aunt passed away from a clot in her foot traveling to her heart.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Is anyone in your family or friends in the medical field? Is there someone you can call at least for advice? What about your Dr.'s answering service? My Dr. has an on-call physician handle after hours calls, even if it's just to give an opinion or recommendation.
  • czewwhat
    Options
    Look up deep vein thrombosis on the internet! Google it! then call your doctor!

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/deep-vein-thrombosis-topic-overview
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: i feel for you,, i would call the doctor is could be water retention, circulatory problems a number of things and if there is pain also i wouldnt wait... good luck and let us know,, wish you well.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • huggettd
    Options
    I think that you should present yourself to the ER. If you have recently been on a flight and are overweight you could be at risk for a clot. Is your leg red, warm/hot, swollen and sore? Do not massage the area as that could dislodge the clot, if that is the problem. The other possibility is cellulitis, does the skin of your lower leg look like an orange peel. If so then it may be an infection and again I would present yourself to the ER. The last possibility is that you simply have over done it on your vacation and have swollen legs but generally they would both be swollen at the same time.