Do you log your high calorie days?

Options
Just wondering if others log their "high calorie" days? Today is my first day I'm eating higher calories than usual and will go back down tomorrow. But I'm trying to get over the "guilt" of eating higher calories when I log them and see the number go into the "red" because I'm over my usual limit. I know I shouldn't overdo it and go overboard but I also know I need one day I eat little more than others to help keep my body from getting into a routine. It's been 2 weeks on the restricted intake (1100 - 1300 depending on day) so I thought today I would treat a myself a little more and eat out of the box. But it's so hard!!
Any thoughts?

Replies

• onehotgirl
    onehotgirl Posts: 120
    Options
    sometimes I log it truthfully, sometimes I just quick add the calories. Sometimes I don't log it at all but get the guilts the next day about not being honest with myself and go back and fill it out lol
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    It's hard to not just throw your hands up in the air and say, "WHY BOTHER?!?!" after you know you've gone over, but I do it anyway! I find that it keeps me accountable for my intake!!

I had a ridiculous carb-riddled breakfast the other day ~ mini scones, a donut and bagel!! I logged it! :embarassed:
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Not always. If it a real splurge day (like yesterday for my birthday) I don't because I knew I was way over and I wanted to enjoy everything I ate. If its a normal friday and I am just a bit over, then I log.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I log it. It isn't pretty but it keeps you accountable. When I do things like having high cal days and not logging it, I tend to have more and more non logging days - Maybe I feel I got away with it or something,
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I log it all.. It helps me be accountable..
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Log it all! I've learned to love my cheat meals / cheat days and I actually think it's kind of fun to see how many calories I eat in one meal. LOL. I think my record was like 2700 calories at Red Lobster a couple of weeks ago. XD A spike day is good once a week, in my opinion, and some people say it helps keep your metabolism going strong.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Always. No reason not to!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    well there is absolutely no reason you should be eating 1100-1300 calories a day. That will likely result in binge eating--taking a moderate approach will set you up for greater success. In terms of high calorie days--just log it. It's useful to see your intake and assess what's working/not working calorie wise.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yup, I log to keep myself accountable and honest.
  • kelleyke
    kelleyke Posts: 20
    Options
    I usually try to log it, whatever it is. Even if I just have to guess because I don't know the exact calories I figure it's better to have an idea of where you stand than no idea at all. Typically if I'm a bit over one day I'll try to be a bit under the next day to balance things out. It's natural to feel a little guilty to go over your calories, but so long as it's not happening all the time it's not a big deal. One day of bad eating isn't going to make or break your weight loss goals. Just try to look at the big picture.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I don't let the red bother me anymore.
    I'm frequently over but it hasn't hurt my weight loss at all.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    yep, I log it. It's good to do it, because I can tell how I am doing on a weekly basis. Some days a little over, other days a little under. Too much of EITHER over or under's not great.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Do you log your high calorie days?

Yes. My body knows about the calories, why shouldn't my brain?
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Yes I do. Feels like cheating otherwise
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I log it. However, for real holidays (birthday, anniversary) I plan on only logging it.. the next day. That way I enjoy it in the moment, without logging in the restaurant.
  • lovebeinGIGI
    lovebeinGIGI Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!! I appreciate all the tips!! :)
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log everything. It helps me to realistically know just how big my (planned) splurges really are. Sometimes they aren't as high calorie as I thought they would be and occasionally they are worse. That helps me to choose my splurges more wisely. Another benefit is that I can go back and see what my average intake was over the past week. I often find that my splurge was well within my weekly allowance and shouldn't affect my gradual weight loss. Other times I know that the weight loss may be less, if any. I think that is part of the training to make this a lifestyle---to be able to deal with going out for meals with friends or other occasions/events in our life without letting it completely derail healthy eating.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I always do! :) Holds me accountable, and allows me to track my weekly calories instead of just that day. I try to be accurate, but sometimes it's a guess or just quick calories, like Thanksgiving or Christmas.
  • lovebeinGIGI
    lovebeinGIGI Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    well there is absolutely no reason you should be eating 1100-1300 calories a day. That will likely result in binge eating--taking a moderate approach will set you up for greater success. In terms of high calorie days--just log it. It's useful to see your intake and assess what's working/not working calorie wise.

You are right! And there is a part of me that knows this! But when I was so overweight, I lost it slowly and a pound gained or not lost here or there didn't seem to matter. As I am so close to my goal, it FEELS like 1 or 2 pounds is so much more than when I was heavy. I know that sounds crazy. But at 245#, a few pounds didn't feel different at all. Now, at 180ish, a few pounds feels like major bloat! I have to change my "mindset". I was overweight for so long, I don't want to get crazy losing it now. One day I ate 1450 calories and I felt like I was going to blow up.
  • pineapplewood
    pineapplewood Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you bite it, write it! Just start fresh the next day! Don't lie....you are only cheating yourself!