does not eating after 7:00 pm makes that much of a differenc

Options

Replies

• CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Personal preference and myth. There is no scientific evidence or study which conclusively proves that any cut-off time helps you lose weight. The key reason most people do so is stop the incessant snacking which often takes place in the evening/late night. I do agree, however, that some type of artificial cut-off time does help with weight loss/maintenance to the extent it discourages snacking all night.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Scientific proof or not, it makes people FEEL better and my wife swears by this.

Make it "it makes some people feel better" and I'll go with you.

Some people eat before bed and are just fine. Others aren't.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Eat according to your own timetable. This is a myth. If you like to eat later you can. your body runs 24 hours a day.

Unless you are a gremlin. Then no food after midnight.
  • 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Eat according to your own timetable. This is a myth. If you like to eat later you can. your body runs 24 hours a day.

What he said .....Gizmo was my favorite gremlin lol
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Scientific proof or not, it makes people FEEL better and my wife swears by this.

I'm with this.

It makes me feel better to just have a light snack an hour or so before bed.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    short answer: Nope

The time you eat does not matter, even before bedtime.
  • johnallen12
    johnallen12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about a main meal or snacks? And are you carefully logging your snacks if that's what we're talking about? In Spain, most people eat late in the evening, yet most Spaniards seem to be doing a good job avoiding obesity. I think it all depends on context and purpose. For myself, it's best to avoid eating after 7:00 p.m. because I'd be doing it as add-on snacking while sitting in front of the television (not a good recipe for either general health or weight loss).
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

I'm in! I should have said SOME and will edit :)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I eat when i am hungry. I have a snack at 11pm if i am hungry. Had cereal at 12:15 last night. I eat breakfast at 4am. I've lost 27 pounds since january 31, so i'm pretty sure it's not hurting my weight loss. I know that i usually have a snack after dinner as we eat around 5 with the kids, so i make sure i have calories left over.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I believe everyone's body reacts different. For me if I eat after 8pm I go up on the scale the next day. Yes I weigh every day, no I won't stop, I do it because it keeps me on track and helps me better understand my body. I wouldn't know this if I didn't do it. If I drink wine after 11pm I gain a pound the next day. Some people might can eat at 10/11 pm at night, I also believe it has a lot to do with how active you are after you eat at the time of day. For me I eat between the hours of 8am and 8 pm.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I believe everyone's body reacts different. For me if I eat after 8pm I go up on the scale the next day. Yes I weigh every day, no I won't stop, I do it because it keeps me on track and helps me better understand my body. I wouldn't know this if I didn't do it. If I drink wine after 11pm I gain a pound the next day. Some people might can eat at 10/11 pm at night, I also believe it has a lot to do with how active you are after you eat at the time of day. For me I eat between the hours of 8am and 8 pm.

You do realize that's water weight and fecal weight don't you? Regarding gaining 1lb after drinking wine, do you know how much wine you would have to drink to gain 1lb of actual fat? It's alot

ps- i looked it up, at 120 calories(average for glass of wine) you would have to drink about 29 glasses of wine at 11pm, and this would have to be above and beyond your TDEE calories.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

You do realize that's water weight and fecal weight don't you? Regarding gaining 1lb after drinking wine, do you know how much wine you would have to drink to gain 1lb of actual fat? It's alot

ps- i looked it up, at 120 calories(average for glass of wine) you would have to drink about 29 glasses of wine at 11pm, and this would have to be above and beyond your TDEE calories.

Yes I am aware of that but I was referring to what wine does to me after 11 pm I can drink it at any time before and not gain water weight.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Hubs does way better eating a couple hours before bed because he has acid reflux.

I have to eat before I go to bed or my blood sugar does bad things. Because I have a serious carb intolerance (I'm T2 diabetic) I have to balance what I eat and when. My body doesn't burn off blood sugar well at night so I tend to eat carbs mid day.

So barring some kind of medical problem, eating is eating. If you don't have a snacking problem that causes you to eat extra cals then it's not a problem. I just leave extra cals for my night time snack.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep if I am hingery so I ususally have a small snack at bedtime but controlled. Snacking at night can easily go out of control. Also, I find if I eat much sugar or refined carbs at bedtime I wake up feeling groggy. If I stick to high fibre, high protein foods al day I wake up feeling energetic. :)
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Whether it affects your total weight loss in a week or month, I don't know. BUT, I do know that it does make a difference if you are a daily weigher that weighs first thing in the mornings. The more you eat in the evenings it can affect that morning weight. I would say though that is based on time without food though if I were to hypothesize. Rather than it just being a more effective weight loss tip. lol
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    While I wouldn't eat @ midnight I don't think it really matters...sleep & rest are what matter.
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I eat at all different times, usually dinner is at a different time every night. So I would say no it doesn't make any difference to me.
  • cvpis4me
    cvpis4me Posts: 50
    Options
    Sumo wrestlers eat their largest meal immediately before going to bed, so the food will be stored as fat instead of used as energy during the day. Google it. I think a small snack before bed is fine, just don't eat a huge meal and go right to bed.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Sumo wrestlers eat their largest meal immediately before going to bed, so the food will be stored as fat instead of used as energy during the day. Google it. I think a small snack before bed is fine, just don't eat a huge meal and go right to bed.

What sumo wrestlers do has no bearing on everyone else. The reason they gain fat is because they are eating way past their TDEE. If they ate that huge meal before bedtime and still had a calorie deficit they would not necessarily gain fat. I know i used to beleive this same thing that eating late makes you fat, but the science is out there, google it. As an example if you eat a large mixed meal say at noon, it can still be digesting 12 or even 18 hours later. If the notion that you gain weight eating after a certain time were true then anyone that ate a large meal after 1pm would balloon up.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options

:laugh: