Do you log your high calorie days?

Options

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The question for me is not whether or not to log them. I do log them.

The question is whether or not to hit that "Complete Entry" button that immediately tells all my MFP friends "Treetop57 completed his food and exercise diary for 04/01/2012," without the added "and was under his calorie goal."
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Yup, i have a 4500 calorie day once a week. =]
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do log them because I want to see how frequently I'm cheating. Sometimes I think I haven't had a "cheat day" in a few weeks and it turns out I had one a few days ago! Sometimes I will also try to compensate the next day by being under. But I agree, the guilt factor sucks. Also, I'm down to my last 3 lbs so going over by a few hundred calories will result in weight gain!

How? 500 calories would make you gain about 2 ounces, and only if that was over your maintenance levels. 200 calories gain would be under the accurate resolution of your scale. Even if it wasn't, you can gain or lose an ounce of water in minutes.

Per the "if every day were like today" feature. 1200 calories has grown increasingly closer to what my BMR calories will be for weight maintenance, reflected by weight gain if every day were a cheat day of say 1600 cals.

Sure you can, it's called peeing.
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    yup...even my sneaks of things i shouldnt eat!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Why lie to yourself?
    It's useful to find out if you can raise the calories occasionally. If this is a long-term lifestyle change, don't you want to know what you can do for special celebrations? And wouldn't you want to learn how much you need to do to make up for it? (Do you need to exercise more, be strict for a day, a couple of days?) It will vary, but it's useful to learn how your body works.
  • arobinson2390
    Options
    you can lie to mfp but you can't lie to your body. it knows how many calories you're consuming lol , but when i have high calorie days i still log it bcuz even though im eating more than usual, if i log it i end up eating less than i would if i just completely splurged. so i dont feel too guilty about it.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I usually don't. I feel guilty about that though. I try to log it, but as I watch the calories add up it depresses me so I just quit and get back at it the next day. I think the important thing is just to get right back at it the next day.
  • louisegullion
    Options
    Yes I do log it and I log my lack of exercise and my lack of drinking water... not much point in keeping track if you are going to lie about it... you are only fooling yourself, I think...... And I have no guilt.. if I am over then I know I have to try harder the next day.
  • 2kidsmckinney
    2kidsmckinney Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Nice motto!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING as close to accurate as possible, even when I don't do so well. I don't really go over calories, but days like yesterday when I ate half a peanut butter meltaway and then pizza for dinner - I feel so guilty so I make myself accountable for every little thing that I eat or drink. I'm afraid if I take one day off without logging, I'll then start justifying it. Why chance ruining a good thing?
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I log the good the bad and the down right ugly--HOWEVER, as I continue to log and make progress towards my goal--not to mention ALL the motivation each and everyone of you provide me with--I notice I don't have too many off days when it comes to my calories and working out--
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I've logged with 100% honesty for almost 5 months. I want a totally accurate record to help me figure out my maintenance calories when I am at my ultimate goal weight. Some of my entries are darn embarrassing, but why mislead myself and the friends who support me?
  • lisaleone71
    Options
    I log everything. How else do I know what the "score" is?
  • phillymills
    Options
    I give myself a "X" day, can't havetoo many of them, but some times it just happenes!
  • docdevore
    docdevore Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A small grin came over me when I saw the title of the post. YES! Have been on here for more than a year. Only missed one days. I log everything, whether I go over or not. Remember, it is YOU that needs to know what is happening with your eating pattern. Be honest so that you know how to make adjustments.
  • jclark21
    jclark21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    you can lie to mfp but you can't lie to your body. it knows how many calories you're consuming lol , but when i have high calorie days i still log it bcuz even though im eating more than usual, if i log it i end up eating less than i would if i just completely splurged. so i dont feel too guilty about it.

Total agree. Calories count the moment you swallow, so I count them. More often than not I actually splurged less than I think I did, so I can feel somewhat better. Either way, it's a learning experience so I can reduce the splurge next time or find something just as tasty but less fattening.
  • aurora15
    aurora15 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes... And I even Facebook it and share with some close friends working on diet and exercise. We all have good and bad days and after a devastatingly heavy meal, I acknowledge it and try to get an extra workout the day after. Gonna keep working on it:)
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i log everything, i want to know what damage I have done. sometimes its not as much as I think and easily balanced out with an extra exercise session.
  • KBside
    KBside Posts: 45
    Options
    I log everything! Even if I go over! It's good to be able to look back and see where you may need to make adjustments if you had a gain. It's only normal to have a day where you may go over. We all do.
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I log it anyway and use it as a reminder to do better the next day. It also helps me to log it(especially pizza). I find that I do better when I have my cheat meal the next time. SO next time I have 3-4 slices of pizza not 8-9. Now that I know how many calories I was consuming. I even log my beer.