snack ideas??

Options
Hi,
was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions for snack ideas. am having a hard time eating enough calories on days i am working out and don't want to eat "empty junk calories" just to hit a number. what do you normally eat?

stacey

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter on ancient grains or whole grain toast is a great snack. Not that I like the natural peanut butter as much as regular peanut butter, but it certainly is more healthy.
  • gmvanloo
    gmvanloo Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just a few things that I eat but I'm always looking for suggestions too.

Almonds/walnuts, string cheese, cucumbers, plums (or whatever fruit is in season). Also Morning star sausage patties are pretty good. Super high in protein and not many calories or fat.
  • iKarma
    iKarma Posts: 6
    Options
    If you like having sugar like me then I think a nice substitute would be a small cup of chocolate milk. I remember reading on some magazine that it's a good replacement snack and I've been using it since. Just don't go over board.

It might not be carrots and apples, but hey it's better than Little Debbie cakes and cookies. :laugh:

Remember: don't go overboard.
  • ecrb77
    ecrb77 Posts: 78
    Options
    Boca Burgers
    Natural Peanut butter on salt free rice cakes
    Krinkle Stix guiltfree french fries (hehe)
    Pretzel Crisps
    Popcorn

Those are my go to- good luck!:drinker:
  • music_freak505
    Options
    I know that Go-gurt tubes of yogurt are supposed to be for kids, but I love eating them frozen! It's like ice cream, but with so fewer calories - each tube only has 70 cal! I also love pineapple, watermelon, and reduced-fat Wheat Thins. Hope that helps!
  • Eryn47
    Eryn47 Posts: 34
    Options
    Yeah, chocolate milk is really good after a workout!!!! Love it! Just don't go overboard, I like the dark chocolate (and it's better for you too!)
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've just discovered Trader Joe's beef jerky--yummy!! It's much softer than whatever brand it was I had 30 years ago!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 70 cals for 1 oz, 11g protein.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I also have a small glass of chocolate milk, it cures the chocolate craving and can even be a little filling.
    One other thing I do if I really HAVE to have chocolate is an oreo cookie. Just one, and its only 53 calories.
  • dreadre82
    Options
    Low fat granola bars, frozen grapes, pickles and low fat cheese...to name a few
  • jessegladis
    Options
    I make a fruit smoothie with the magic bullet. I use low fat yogurt, milk, juice, frozen fruit, and part of a banana. Great snack that's good for you!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I love cottage cheese :tongue: 1/2 cup is only 90 calories if you buy 2% milkfat. Sometimes I slice a banana into it. Or celery (or banana) with peanut butter is yummy :drinker:
  • nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    all types of fruits!! melon, watermelon, a mango, an aplle, a plate of strawberries and blueberries !!! yummy!!! when it comes to snacks, i really enjoy fruits, they satisfy my hunger, and they are GREAT for you...also, low cal yogurts, almonds, 2 slices of turkey breast, no sugar added jello-o!!
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I like Hummus with Special K Italian Herb and Tomato crackers. So good.
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    nuts eat up calories quick
    pb&j crackers are fun to play with and eat up calories if you have the extra sugar for jelly
    I also love hummus- hummus with veggies for low cal, hummus with pita chips high cal
    And best, most fattening, cal-eating snack= guacamole! with veggies or crackers or chips or bagel, good on anything and pretty fattening, yet healthful.