Wheat/Gluten free foods

Options

Replies

• weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have tried Sami's bakery Millet and Flax berry bagels. They are really good!! I have to buy them from a health food store or online. They also have a sourdough bread that is great grilled or toasted. I don't care for it as just a sandwich unless I warm up the bread in the microwave to soften it a little. Sami's also has some great tortillas too. I have bought stuff online because they are hard to find in the store. I haven't tried the Udi's brand, but I keep hearing from a lot people they are really good. They are becoming very easy to find, in almost every store now.

I have a ton of intolerances, gluten, wheat, eggs, cows milk, almonds, yeast (both baker's and brewers), and more. :( Very hard to eat. I have been on a lot of online sites and they all have some great info and recipes. Pinterest also has some great recipes and people you can follow.

You can make a lot of stuff yourself, almond flour and coconut flour are suppose to be very good, plus others people have mentioned above. Read about which flours work best for what you are trying to make. I haven't ventured into baking a whole lot yet. I'm just trying to get use to what I can eat. It really is going back to the basics of meat, fruit and veggies. Read labels carefully and you can check manufacturers websites for products they list as gluten free. Eating out is a chore for me because of all my intolerances, but a lot more restuarants have gluten free menus, just be careful of cross contamination and don't be afraid to ask how things are cooked. Good luck!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    As a former bread a holic, I'm telling you right now, you will feel so much better off the wheat!

As for substitutes, Udi's and Rudi's are both excellent. I lost more weight by not eating wheat though...

Good luck and feel free to add me!
  • Maymichelle
    Maymichelle Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I also have a Gluten intolerence & it has been difficult for me to find breads, etc. I tried Schar brand which is kept on the regular store shelf and it was very dry & unswallowable. I finally realized that the other gluten free bread is in the freezer section. I have now tried Ezekiel & I absolutely love it! I actually think it tastes better with my sandwiches! =)
  • Mazzyx
    Mazzyx Posts: 131
    Options
    I have not found a true gluten free bread that I really like. I do sometimes have Rye bread that Ive only found in a bakery that is just in my area! But that has some 'normal' flour in a very small quantity, but I find it builds up if I eat too much! However I have started having Sainsbury free from pitta breads, which are very nice, but only when eaten within 30 minutes of cooking them haha! Its a hard life! ::laugh:
    xxx
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    first, check out the paleo or primal diet. All of the recipes you will find will be gluten free (and delish).

Second, I recommend checking out King Arthur Flour's gluten free line. They work really hard to put out a high quality, tasty product. It would be stuff you would have to make yourself, but I bet most of it is awesome :)
  • Kwiz01
    Kwiz01 Posts: 13
    Options
    Don't be fooled. If you are not Celiac, you should not be going gluten free. You need the fiber, if you go gluten free prepare to suppliment your diet with some kind other kind of fiber. Flax, hemp protein...etc. My wife is Celiac and dairy intolerant so life is very frustrating for her. You may need to train yourself to enjoy some of the other flours and grains.
  • Kwiz01
    Kwiz01 Posts: 13
    Options
    Quinoa
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Don't be fooled. If you are not Celiac, you should not be going gluten free. You need the fiber, if you go gluten free prepare to suppliment your diet with some kind other kind of fiber. Flax, hemp protein...etc. My wife is Celiac and dairy intolerant so life is very frustrating for her. You may need to train yourself to enjoy some of the other flours and grains.

The OP has been diagnosed wheat intolerant, that is more than enough reason to go gluten free. The component of wheat that is usually not tolerated is gluten, so it makes sense to cut it out. Why risk your health?
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love Udi's bread and bagels. For cereal, I found Nature's Path Crunchy Vanilla Sunrise and it is so good! I don't feel like I am missing out. For granola, Kind granola is great. I just bought one with protein that is the peanut butter flavor. Udi's makes a good pizza crust and also Amy's has some great frozen entrees and pizzas.

There's a gluten free group on here and you might get some more ideas. Good luck!
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    This is a decent blog for gluten-free recipes, she does a lot of baking and always posts new gf recipes on Fridays...you can find her on Facebook, too if you are on there.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm wheat intolerent too, and when I behave myself I feel so so much better. There are loads of wheat free products out now if you look around. I love spelt at the minute (find I have no reaction to it at all, but some people who are wheat intolerent do), there are lovely spelt and honey breads around. I also eat spelt pasta which only takes about 6mins to cook. Rice pasta and noodles are nice too. Don't worry too much about fibre, you should get that mainly from your fruit and veg.

Friend me if you like x
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    ohhh and be careful there is alot of hidden wheat out there. Especially in take away foods, many fast food places coat there chips (fries) in flour to give them a more even brown colour when cooked. Most chrisps also have flour. x
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a bread I like but I've grown to love Snyder of Hanover's gluten-free pretzels. I didn't like the Glutino ones, tho others rave about them-a taste-bud thing I guess.

You might try steel-cut oats for breakfast. It's not a muffin, but it might satisfy that carb craving. Good luck!
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My youngest son was recently diagnosed with wheat, diary, and egg intolerances, along with a load of other allergies/intolerances. We've started using Betty Crocker brownies which are simply amazing, taste just like regular brownies, bisquick also makes a gluten free version, King Arthur flour has muffin mixes and flour mixes that are gluten free, Van's makes waffles (also dairy and egg free) in the freezer section, and we use heartland pasta. My kids love pasta and this taste like regular pasta to us. These are a few things we've used and we've adapted. We try to use almond or coconut milk but he doesn't like to drink either of those, he's so use to regular milk. He's able to have items that have eggs/milk in them as long as they're well cooked/baked. It's not easy, it's been a big adjustment and we're still getting used to it. I'm just glad his allergies aren't worse than they are even though we've been told they could get worse with time. He says he feels a lot better when he avoids the wheat, milk, eggs, oats, etc.
  • scubagoil
    scubagoil Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed, I tried all the products I could get my hands on that were gluten free... I no longer eat any grains because they tend to be higher in calories and I still reacted to many grains that are supposed to be safe, but I can tell you what I liked when I did...

I found Pamela's Wheat Free & Gluten-free Bread Mix made the best bread (and waffles!). I asked a lot of wheat eaters to try the bread and they all loved it. Like other gluten free breads, it is heavier than regular bread, but it has such a nice flavor. The waffles on the other hand were very light and my family all agreed they taste better than any regular waffles they have had.

Someone mentioned Glutino for pretzels - I agree! They were my favorite snack.

The best gluten free foods were usually stuff I baked myself, so you may want to experiment with some recipes you find online. Also, the magazine Living Without has great info about living GF.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I like Pamela's gluten-free bread mix as mentioned above - it's really easy, moist, and tastes great to me. Was not a fan of Ezekiel at all.

There are super easy gluten-free sweet bread mixes made by Simply Organic, which I've bought from Whole Foods. Their banana or cranberry nut breads are too good, lol.

I use almond flour instead of wheat for making cookies and cakes.I think they come out even better, and almond flour is higher in protein and other nutrients too.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • reden324
    reden324 Posts: 33
    Options
    There are a bunch of good gluten free/wheat free products out there but you have to be careful because they tend to be higher in calories than regular breads. Udi's makes good bread products that aren't that crazy in the calorie side also trader joes has a brown rice tortilla that is around 130 calories. Good luck!
  • judykay500
    Options
    Bump