college kids!

Options
It is no wonder that the freshman 15 exists! i am just finishing my 2nd year in college and managed to escape it (thank you MFP). But all those fatty foods are soooo tempting! so, what do y'all keep in your dorm rooms/apartments? what are some staples or quick dorm room/microwave/CHEAP recipes that y'all have learned? basically, how do YOU stay on track in college?

Replies

• janetvbuchanan
    Options
    -greek yogurt and honey make a good breakfast
    -veggies/fruits for snacks
    -or cheerios, those are great too!
    -being particularly careful with what I eat in the dining halls
    -drinking nothing but water
    -canned soup and crackers are nice to have when I know that I'll not have many calories left by the end of the day
    -taking advantage of the very nice rec center on campus almost daily
    -planning what my later night snacks are going to be before I actually eat them
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Um, I gained the freshman 45 !!!! It happened really fast, second semester of my freshman year. between winter break and spring break. For me it was a hormonal imbalance, a relationship with a fast food eater, and going on the pill. It took forever for me to get control over my apathetic attitude towards what I was eating. I started taking containers to the dinning hall and taking food home. I found that the less time I spend inside the better choices I make. I also stopped eating meals with people. I eat alone in my room haha and even though that sounds sad, it lets me make better food decisions! I have 10 lbs to go before I get back to what I was as a freshman when I got here.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Um, I gained the freshman 45 !!!! It happened really fast, second semester of my freshman year. between winter break and spring break. For me it was a hormonal imbalance, a relationship with a fast food eater, and going on the pill. It took forever for me to get control over my apathetic attitude towards what I was eating. I started taking containers to the dinning hall and taking food home. I found that the less time I spend inside the better choices I make. I also stopped eating meals with people. I eat alone in my room haha and even though that sounds sad, it lets me make better food decisions! I have 10 lbs to go before I get back to what I was as a freshman when I got here.
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My kid is in her second year and says there is no excuse not to eat healthy when you live at college. It's about choices.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I lost like a stone at the start of uni...put a stone back on over christmas and haven't lost it yet </3
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I gained the 15 but it was what my body needed. Now I try to keep it in check. I just make sure to have plenty of vegetables I like to steam, chicken and salmon, oats, eggs, protein powders for my smoothies, bars (I try to limit these and very picky on which ones), greek yogurt, and cottage cheese. When I was living in dorms it was a bit more difficult since my dinner had to come from the dining hall. I basically lived off of pb&j sandwiches, cereal, bars, and coffee the rest of the time since they only allowed us a tiny fridge to share.
  • wawa2012
    wawa2012 Posts: 7
    Options
    Well, I didn't gain at first, but once I did it was a steep slope. Some advice for what I did in the dorms: goldfish, popcorn, but I bought the regular kernals and brown paper bags to pop it that way (less butter/salt/fake stuff), trail mix, and yogurt.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight my sophomore year. Freshman year i was close to the gym so I didn't gain too much, but soph year i never went to the gym and ate boxes of cookies and chips and CRAP. Thus, I gained 20-30 lbs. Since then, I've lost ~70 lbs and I'm eating healthy and exercising often. Feels great!
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    two years on and I'm still trying to lose the freshman 15.
    I always have yoghurt on hand and snack on fruit and veges.
    I don't usually cook proper meals but when I do I make lots and just freeze/ refrigerate leftovers.
    Don't drink too much alcohol.
  • zooz93
    zooz93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    These tips are all so helpful, I wish I'd read them last August!

I'm a college freshman, and I gained my freshman 15 in ONE SEMESTER! I live in the dorms, and the food is awful, making it so difficult to eat healthy on a reasonable budget. I can't wait until I get a kitchen next year, but that's not until after the summer! I really want to feel good in my summer shorts, so I'm trying to get my high school body back!

Anyone who's on the same boat, feel free to add me as a friend.
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    I know the feeling. I'm working off my freshmen 15 and some extra. I eat mainly costo food sadly, but its the grapefruit, pasta, and yogurt. It's pretty cheap and healthier then the dining hall food my roommates eat!
  • comeon_skinnylove
    Options
    I eat at the dining center and keep no food in my on-campus suite. That way if I'm craving when I'm already over my caloric limit, I don't have any food to turn to. Muahahahaha
  • slp56
    slp56 Posts: 18
    Options
    i feel like i should add that i'm not 33. the age on my profile is wrong i just keep forgetting to change it! haha i'm a college kid too!
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My kid is in her second year and says there is no excuse not to eat healthy when you live at college. It's about choices.

true but when you got no $$ to buy quality food then we students with no help are S.O.L
  • slp56
    slp56 Posts: 18
    Options
    i have become mildly obsessed with cooking with the limited resources in my dorm room (microwave, contraband waffle iron). My roommates call me the redneck gourmet! haha

my favorite is too use low carb tortillas, low fat cheese and some lean proteins and TONS of veggies and make waffle iron quesadillas with suuuper spicy salsa!

for breakfast you can add eggs. but personally i like sweeter breakfast so its all about the oatmeal or a greek yogurt parfait!

also i LOVE libby's canned pumpkin. so versatile and keeps my sweet tooth in check.
  • sarah_7626
    sarah_7626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    yep, same! freshman year i lived in a dorm next to the gym and worked out a lot. then i moved into an apartment...
    I gained a lot of weight my sophomore year. Freshman year i was close to the gym so I didn't gain too much, but soph year i never went to the gym and ate boxes of cookies and chips and CRAP. Thus, I gained 20-30 lbs. Since then, I've lost ~70 lbs and I'm eating healthy and exercising often. Feels great!