Not Losing ANYTHING Except My Mind....

Options
I am about to just say "scr*w it" and call it a day...WTF?! For the past month and a half, ALL I have done is eat 1400 calories a day. Occasionally, but more not than often, I have gone a tad over, but not by much. And I'm burning 500-700 calories a day. I have lost NOTHING. Please don't say that I can't be doing that, and not lose, because I can assure you, I AM and HAVEN'T. I don't understand why I've been stuck. I don't think I can continue micro managing calories and not see any results anymore. I just don't get it. I'm on a beta blocker, but I have seen many many mfp members lose weight while taking them. I'm 40 lbs overweight, and I'm beyond sick of it. 5'2" and 185lbs just isn't working out. I don't understand what else I need to do....Has anyone else ever thought they were never going to be able to do it? What did you do differently to get that scale to move? I don't mean to sound pathetic or whiny, please bare with me.

Replies

• BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    You're eating 1400 and burning 500+? So you're netting between 700 and 900 calories a day? You should be netting at least your BMR, which is almost certainly over 1200... I'd start there.

Open your food diary for more help.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    U are definitely gaining muscle:) and u more then likely need to bump ur calories up a few hundred! Eat frequently, 6 meals throughout the day, well three bigger ones and three snacks, and all healthy of course, that'll burn ur fat right off, faster then anything. Just make sure to keep ur metabolism on high, and never skip breakfast:) hope that helps some what, just don't give up, u are obviously gonna get somewhere with all ur hard work!
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    So let's see...you're only netting 700-900 cals per day...and you're essentially eating the same exact amount of calories everyday. You need to be netting at a healthy losing rate and mix things up a bit. I can't imagine my body losing weight with what you're doing.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It is because you are not eating enough. You are starving yourself (700-900 calories is not nearly enough). Shoot for 1.5-2lbs a week and eat what it suggests. It works, trust me.

Austin
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're having trouble, it must be really frustrating, . My first thought was are you eating your exercise calories back? And have you talked with your doctor? Hang in there!
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    U are definitely gaining muscle:) and u more then likely need to bump ur calories up a few hundred! Eat frequently, 6 meals throughout the day, well three bigger ones and three snacks, and all healthy of course, that'll burn ur fat right off, faster then anything. Just make sure to keep ur metabolism on high, and never skip breakfast:) hope that helps some what, just don't give up, u are obviously gonna get somewhere with all ur hard work!

You don't have to eat 6 meals a day unless it helps you mentally. There is no proof that eating sporadically throughout the day boosts metabolism. Exercise and proper nutrition is the best metabolism booster.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Shake up your work out routine and start eating back at least half of your exercise calories. Eating only 1400 calories is tough, and if you're exercising those off then you're making body think it's starving. You don't have to eat all of it, just try to NET 1200 calories. Eating more helped me lose the last few pounds when I hit my plateau.
  • Hope1971
    Hope1971 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are having a hard time..but the above comment is totally correct. You are not eating your BMR or even close with the exercise so you won't lose anything..gotta jack it up because your body is not getting the proper nutrients...can you open your dairy so we can help you and take a look for you? :) things will get better , have faith and let us try to help:)
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Also, I was on a beta blocker last year and gained weight after maintaining below goal for 3 years. Honestly, I wasn't working hard to lose it because I had no energy. So, kudos to you for working hard on burning those cals! You should be proud for being able to do that.. I finally got off the med and I'm doing damage control now. I was on it for essential tremor so I was able to find other options but I know not everyone can go without it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am about to just say "scr*w it" and call it a day...WTF?! For the past month and a half, ALL I have done is eat 1400 calories a day. Occasionally, but more not than often, I have gone a tad over, but not by much. And I'm burning 500-700 calories a day. I have lost NOTHING. Please don't say that I can't be doing that, and not lose, because I can assure you, I AM and HAVEN'T. I don't understand why I've been stuck. I don't think I can continue micro managing calories and not see any results anymore. I just don't get it. I'm on a beta blocker, but I have seen many many mfp members lose weight while taking them. I'm 40 lbs overweight, and I'm beyond sick of it. 5'2" and 185lbs just isn't working out. I don't understand what else I need to do....Has anyone else ever thought they were never going to be able to do it? What did you do differently to get that scale to move? I don't mean to sound pathetic or whiny, please bare with me.

Here's what is happening.

Eat 1400.
    Burn off 600.
    Body for BMR functions has 800 calories left to do it's work, so it MUST lower metabolism to do that.
    That is what BMR has finally been reduced to. And that means all other daily activity is no longer burning as much. So you actually don't burn 600, so BMR slightly rises.

So BMR of 812.
    If you would rate your daily activity including exercise as Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) - that means:
    BMR 812 x 1.725 = 1400 for TDEE, Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

You are now eating at maintenance level because you have suppressed your metabolism so much.

So you can either eat less, and/ or exercise more.

Or,

Realize that is the total wrong direction.

Do NOT NET below your BMR.

Tools - BMR Calc

Adjust your goal weight loss so MFP suggests above your BMR.

And then eat back ALL your exercise calories, so you have a tad more padding.

Get your metabolism flying high again.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Read this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

Then give this a whirl:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Definitely don't say screw it - forge ahead! :)
  • heybales
    Options

You can't gain muscle when your basic metabolism for functions of life is being underfed. Most muscle repair/rebuild will not occur as metabolism has to slow down.

More frequent meals has nothing to do with metabolism. Exact same amount of energy is expended on same quantity of food, whether eaten in 3 meals or 6 meals in the day.
    It may help your hunger if you are prone to low blood sugar and have problems with carbs, but otherwise more meals just means insulin is inflated most of the day, meaning you are in fat storage mode, not fat burning mode.

And no matter what you do, you can't increase metabolism if you aren't feeding it enough for the BMR.
  • ATLsMommy76
    ATLsMommy76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the confudsion, I am netting 1400, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. I don't net 800. I would happy to open my diary, how do I do that?
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Sorry I didn't make the net part more clear int he beginning
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Youll need a surplus for that lean mass gains unless OP is in the Obese II or Obese III
    Read this post:

Then give this a whirl:

^^^This person gets it!
    clapping.gif
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Youll need a surplus for that lean mass gains unless OP is in the Obese II or Obese III
    Read this post:

Then give this a whirl:

^^^This person gets it!
    clapping.gif

Thanks Dan! :)

Big fan over here.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You are welcome into the inner circle if you like.
    Send the request!
    ;D
  • ronnio_ron
    Options
    which means you are doing things right.

i am not sure if i have read any one plateau before take off, that sounds odd.

Have you noticed any physical changes like waistline reductions or arms/legs etc....because it could be that your body might be reacting a bit differently....

have you checked with a doc for any thyroid bases issues which might be getting in with your programs...

if you NET 1400+, with exercise you should see some change
  • heybales
    Options
    Sorry for the confudsion, I am netting 1400, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. I don't net 800. I would happy to open my diary, how do I do that?
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Sorry I didn't make the net part more clear int he beginning

Could your BMR be 1600?
  • ATLsMommy76
    ATLsMommy76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Could your BMR be 1600?

mfp says my BMR is 1487...All these numbers confuse me. I also have a fitbit and that says I burn more calories than mfp does so most days I don't even enter my workouts into mfp because I don't think the calorie burn total is right.