Is a sprint duathlon in 5wks time a realistic goal?

Options
amc2509
amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
I've just completed the C25K program and am doing my first 5k on Wed... I've done the course already and I'm hoping to complete in under 32min...

Last week I bought myself a road bike. I haven't really cycled for a long time (almost 15 years) but before that I cycled ALL the time. I took the bike out for my first spin the other night and did 17k in under 50min's.
I know I wouldn't be breaking any records or winning any medals, but would it be a realistic goal to enter a 5k/20k/2.5k duathlon in 5 weeks time?

Also if anyone thinks I could actually complete it, could ye point me in the direction of a training schedule. Any online ones I found seen to be for 12 weeks...

Ta :)

Replies

• amc2509
    Options
    anyone ????
  • Kellysue32
    Options
    I think that you can complete it without too much trouble...as long as you are out to have fun and don't care too much about how long it takes you. There are several websites that offer training plans...not sure if any of them are as little as 5 weeks.

Runners World, beginner triathlete are just 2 of the websites...do a google search if you don't like what they have to offer.

Good luck!!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I've just completed the C25K program and am doing my first 5k on Wed... I've done the course already and I'm hoping to complete in under 32min...

Last week I bought myself a road bike. I haven't really cycled for a long time (almost 15 years) but before that I cycled ALL the time. I took the bike out for my first spin the other night and did 17k in under 50min's.
    I know I wouldn't be breaking any records or winning any medals, but would it be a realistic goal to enter a 5k/20k/2.5k duathlon in 5 weeks time?

Also if anyone thinks I could actually complete it, could ye point me in the direction of a training schedule. Any online ones I found seen to be for 12 weeks...

Ta :)

First off, I can give you no advice because I have never done a duathlon, however, going by what you have just said, I say go for it, you would manage that no problem!

I don't think you need any training advice to be honest, you seem to know exactly what you are doing.

Go for it and all the best, I bet you will surprise yourself with your times and results xxx

Just one thing confuses me though, duathlon = two events, ie run and cycle I gather? 5k run and 20k cycle - what's the 2.5k?
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it! And what would you lose by trying?! With 5 weeks, you'll just need to be focused, that's all. I can't point you toward any training programs (sorry), but when I did a duathlon last year I was given the advice to always combine running and biking when training. So that would mean no more just run training days, and no more just bike training days. I was told it should always be run + bike training, or bike + run training. I did the long duathlon, and it took me just over 4 hours. I was still running when they had the award ceremony - LOL (I told them before the race not to wait for me since I knew it would take me much longer than the "real" competitors)! I went into it with two goals: 1) Never stop - keep going, even if it is slow, and 2) No low blood sugars (I'm a type 1 diabetic). And I did it!!!! I was s-l-o-w, but to pull off something like that was a huge victory for me. I'm considering entering again this year... but I really should upgrade my 20-year-old mountain bike for a road bike (people passing me later said they felt so bad for me on that bike... but I didn't care... heck, I just kept thinking "well, my legs are getting a better workout and I'm probably burning more calories!" ha!). Oh... the part I found most difficult was the 2nd run (legs didn't want to move too fast after being on a bike for 2 hours!). So that's the part I hope to practice more of this summer (bike + run training). GOOD LUCK!!
  • elijahgo1
    elijahgo1 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hello,

It is an obtainable goal; however, it may not be healthy to enter a duathlon. I have experience in triathlon, and duathlon (run/swim and run/bike). The reason the programs are lengthy is because it takes a while to train your body to getting used to the different motions required. For instance, when was the last time you biked 20k then ran 5K? The first time I did it, my legs felt like jelly.

I'm not discouraging you from doing the race. What has always amazed me is the various fitness levels I see at these races. It is not exclusive to top athletes or fitness toppers. It is a realistic goal; just personally, I would train a little more first.

If you can already run a 5K, you are way ahead of the game when it comes to starting. I would look up a training course for beginners and use it as a guide. I've found that on some of the free schedules, I'm beyond what they are wanting me to build up to. I find a spot on the trainer I feel I can do without having to work hard. (some of the beginners have you start walking for 3 min....you obviously can do this so skip to a week you feel you can do).

Also, go to your gym and try running on a treadmill for 5K and then transition to a bike...you will find out if you are able to run this race.

Personally, based on passed experience, I think it is rather harmful to jump into a race you have not trained for. I have many old race buddies who are starting to have knee and back problems...and they trained daily. These kind of races are designed to stress your body, 12 weeks of training is the minimum in my opinion, 18 weeks would be more preferable.

I'm not trying to discourage you; just would hate to see you injure yourself and lose the progress you have made so far!

Remember to get your bike fitted!

Look up "Cool Runnings" they a few good programs. Also,beginnertriathlete.com has some great free programs.

Have fun!

E
  • amc2509
    Options
    God I love these forums! Thanks everone for getting back to me... I may just give it a try! I found an 8 week short duathlon program that I may be able to jump into at wk 3 and skip the rest week on wk 5. I'll tailor the workouts to what I can comfortably do and see how I get on!

And of course I never even thought of trying it out in the gym... DOH!! So thanks for that tip, will give it a go and see how I get on!

There are a number of different events in the region on the same weekend so I will prob be able to enter on the day... I know they took entries on the day last year. So I'll take it as something to aim for and if I'm not ready no harm done.

Thanks again :)

ETA @Di3012 the 2.5k is another run :)
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do a dualathalon! Don't worry about time and just have fun with it! Spend some extra time on the bike to get you butt back in shape for sitting on the seat.

Make sure you incorporate "brick" workouts (at least that's what they are called in the tri world). Bike then immediately change shoes and go for a run. It gives you a chance to practice transitions as well experience what it feels like to go from riding to running. The first time I did a brick it was WEIRD and my legs felt super slow and sluggish, took about half a mile to not feel like jelly. It get's easier!

You can do it!!
  • elijahgo1
    elijahgo1 Posts: 17
    Options
    I can't stress enough the importance of getting your bike fitted! Don't forget!
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I did my first duathlon about a month after getting back on my bike. I had not biked consistently since I was a teenager.... and this was at age 39. (I was already a pretty seasoned runner though). I was slow, but I finished and felt like a rock star! I'm planning to do it for the 3rd time this May. I say go for it!
  • amc2509
    Options
    I've decided to train for it and see how I go.... I managed a time of 27:38 in the 5K last week so that gave me a boost! I did a couple of bike rides last week and did a brick session on Saturday where I managed 1.8k/17k and 1.7k with splits of 10/46/10, but this was done on a nice flat course with little or no wind!

I reckon I will be able to complete it ok if the weather is nice, but I may not have the same confidence on a wet and windy Irish summers day! I know someone has to come last, I just don't want it to be me :)

One thing I'm a little concerned with is cycling in a group as I haven't done this before... I'd be worried about crashing.... Don't know what I can do about that only get over my fear...

And thanks for the tip Elijahgo1, I was fitted for the bike in the shop where I bought it and I have to say I love it! I'll be bringing it in for the 6week tune up a few days before the race!

I'll come back and let ye know how I get on :D
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    I've decided to train for it and see how I go.... I managed a time of 27:38 in the 5K last week so that gave me a boost! I did a couple of bike rides last week and did a brick session on Saturday where I managed 1.8k/17k and 1.7k with splits of 10/46/10, but this was done on a nice flat course with little or no wind!

I reckon I will be able to complete it ok if the weather is nice, but I may not have the same confidence on a wet and windy Irish summers day! I know someone has to come last, I just don't want it to be me :)

One thing I'm a little concerned with is cycling in a group as I haven't done this before... I'd be worried about crashing.... Don't know what I can do about that only get over my fear...

And thanks for the tip Elijahgo1, I was fitted for the bike in the shop where I bought it and I have to say I love it! I'll be bringing it in for the 6week tune up a few days before the race!

I'll come back and let ye know how I get on :D

Thanks for the update! All the best with the rest of the training... and congrats on the 27:38 5k!

Look forward to hearing how the race goes.
  • amc2509
    Options
    Another update on progress :) I'm having so many new experiences these days! My training schedule called for 30min bike today so I decided to cycle to work (10.5k). It was raining when I got up but seemed to be clearing in the distance so I dropped the kids to child minders and got on my bike. The sun shone for about 1k and then it started raining again! It rained the whole way in but it wasn't that bad cycling in it. I have a good jacket and I knew I had dry clothes waiting for me in the locker room, the only thing that was REALLY HORRIBLE was my runners were SOAKING! All I could think when I got off the bike was not that my legs wouldn't be able to run, but that I couldn't run in runners that were full of water!

I don't really want to get bike shoes as I don't like the idea of my feet been attached to the pedals, so has anyone any other ideas? I wonder if you can get some sort of covers for the runners????

This is like a whole new world to me :~D
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I can't stress enough the importance of getting your bike fitted! Don't forget!

+1

On a bit of a technical matter, when you get your bike fitted talk to them about suitable cleats & pedals. If you haven't been riding a lot you probably want a cleat / pedal combination (assuming you'll be using cycling shoes) that allows for a bit more side to side movement (float). My bike fitter had me switch from the shimano (almost no float) to a Look Keo (red cleat) with 9.5 degrees - small change that made a world of difference.

You haven't a lot of time to train but make sure you get some bricks (running after a bike ride).

Pace yourself on the runs and the bike ride - it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and blow your brains out going out too fast.

Set your goal for finishing with a smile on your face. Have fun!
  • amc2509
    Options
    YAYYYYYYYYY, I DID IT :) Been on a high since crossing that line yesterday :~D

I did way better than I had expected and completed the whole thing in 1:36... The start of each run was cruelly uphill, and on the second run I had to walk a tiny bit towards the top of the hill as my legs just wouldn't move, but apart from that I maaged to go all out. The first few kilometers of the bike ride were also uphill on a terrible back road and I found that really tough going, I actually got off the bike at one stage cos I thought I had a flat :o.... It was just the road surface tho, one guy passed when I was checking the tyre and asked if I was ok when I said I thought I had a flat he was prob thinking 'How could she not know if she had a flat or not'.... Anyway when we got out on the main road the cycle went great and I finished the 20k in 50 min. Conditions were perfect, only a light breeze, some sunshine and it wasn't hot.

My 6 yr old daughter ran the last 50m with me and we crossed the line like we'd won gold at the olympics... I didn't come last (even though I don't think I would have minded) and I feel on top of the world today, a little bit sore, but hey that'll go.

So thanks everyone for the words of encouragement... ye were all right, you lose nothing by trying :)

Now to find my next challenge :)
  • KristaTellier
    Options
    Yay! That's *fantastic*! Congrats!!! And you were originally wondering if you could do it... not only did you do it... you aced it! :)