Carb alternatives

Options
I seem to be eating a lot of carbs on a daily basis, mainly bread. I like pasta based dishes as well, like lasagne or spaghetti with meat sauce.

I don't want to cut carbsout, but I don't want it to be my main source of food. Anyone know any good alternatives?

Replies

• reach53
    reach53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sure, there are a lot of alternatives: mainly vegetables, legumes, fish, eggs, chicken...
    I am on a slow carb diet so I eat mainly vegetables, some beans or lentils and protein (eggs, sigh etc.)

So instead of pasta you'll have zucchini, spinach, cauliflower, aubergine, bell peppers and so on.

I hope this helps, if not just send me a message.

:)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Try spaghetti squash instead of noodles - AMAZING!

And Try to make a wrap out of lettuce instead of tortilla/bread. Gives it a nice crunch i think :]
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    why not have things like rice or potatos for your carbs which are not processed like pastas and breads. or just switch to the brown versions which is better all round.
  • breakbad
    breakbad Posts: 13
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, you need to cut those carbs. If it's white, don't eat it. Bread and pasta are very unhealthy and a good source for weight gain. I love both especially pasta! Trying to eat healthy and stay in shape so that I can have fun days to eat those foods that I love!!
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Healthier carbs - Brown rice, quinoa, oats, sweet potatoes and veggies
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, you need to cut those carbs. If it's white, don't eat it. Bread and pasta are very unhealthy and a good source for weight gain. I love both especially pasta! Trying to eat healthy and stay in shape so that I can have fun days to eat those foods that I love!!

Not true at all, don't listen to this advice please ^^

You do not have to cut them out, just enjoy in moderation. I still eat white bread, white pasta, and white rice.
  • Rukia_7
    Rukia_7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try replacing the pasta for spaghetti squash or shirataki noodles! Everything still comes out delicious. :)
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is delicious and very versatile, cauliflower rice is also more tasty than you'd expect. I've also seen pizza bases made from cauliflower but haven't tried it yet. Do some googling or check out Pinterest for some recipes.
    A quick and tasty meal I've been having is just a big plateful of broccoli and prawns. Just take care which sauce you choose. The first time I made it the sweet chilli sauce I used had the same number of calories as the rest of the meal!
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    I don't want to cut them out all together, I just noticed that 50% of what I eat in a day is carbs. I want to balance it out with protein, really.
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll make a note of all of these alternatives for when I cook. :happy:
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    Never heard of spaghetti squash, I'll give it a try. I do like the sound of it. Also, about the wraps, I do like lettuce so making a wrap out of one is a great idea!
  • suehay76
    suehay76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have cut carbs, it's not that hard for me. I love rice and potatoes but I want to be healther for my kids. I get my carbs from green veggies. :) Search the internet for great receipies :smile: Good luck.
  • theatreangelina
    Options
    I'm a carbaholic. I used to eat pasta every other night and used to munch on white bread just for a snack. I found that try cutting it out slowly is best. If you HAVE to have pasta...try wheat pasta, or a smaller portion of it and fill up more on vegetables.
    Also, every once and a while(if you're a carb snacker like me) munch on a wholewheat tortilla (they ones they use for wraps), just to quench that carb craving.
    But seriously if you just cut back and fill up on something else with fibre (fruit), you'll be better off.
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    Thanks again everyone
  • jazgale
    jazgale Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi marge!
    The thing is, if you want to lose weight you have to cut back a little bit on the servings of carbs you consume. Consuming carbs on a daily basis IS NECESSARY, so it’s not at all wrong, but you must consume it moderately.
    I can relate to you, ‘cause I LOVE CARBS too! I’d eat them all day if I could, but unfortunately in real life; we can’t do that and have a slim body!! haha. It would be really hard for you to start cutting carbs from one day to another, so my advice would be that you do it in progressive matter. Start by changing white bread, for whole wheat (in pastas, in bread, in cereals); then when you get used to that, start reducing your daily carb servings all together.

Try to balance your diet, with more veggies, proteins and fruits. And when you do consume carbs, take the ones that have a high fiber content (whole wheat).

Pd.: Sorry if my grammar isn’t very good, I am not American. Hope my advice helps you out, it certainly worked for me.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Never heard of spaghetti squash, I'll give it a try. I do like the sound of it. Also, about the wraps, I do like lettuce so making a wrap out of one is a great idea!

I love spaghetti squash! Ask your local produce person and they can lead you to it. Just steam it for a bit (google that info) and then you can literally just scrape out the strands and it's like eating spaghetti, but better.

Here are the steps I took to get my carbs under control:

1. Make the pasta or carbs a side dish, not the main attraction. If you love spaghetti, set it to the side. Make a grilled chicken breast and a side of pasta and a vegetable, too. Now you won't eat as much. If you like sandwiches, you can make a half sandwich or use the sandwich thins.

2. Switch to the whole grain variety of the carbs. Whole grain pastas, brown rice, and other whole grains fill you up faster so you'll eat less of them. Whole grain breads, sprouted grain breads and such are good for those who like bread.

3. For pastas, you can find other substitutes, such as the spaghetti squash and such. I like to make pizzas by using a portabella mushroom as a "crust." Things like that work well. Make your sandwiches as lettuce wraps if you want.

You decide how far to take it. You don't have to cut carbs out entirely. I recommend start by reducing them to a side dish first. There's no need to go deep into deprivation if you love 'em.