Anyone ever take side trips from “the journey”?

Options
Last week, I was feeling run-down and unmotivated. I’ve been on the weight-loss journey since October 2011, down 29 pounds of the 40 I want to lose. Last week I just said “Meh.” Dialed back the exercise, stopped tracking meticulously. I feel better now, and am ready to get back on the road. I think. I don’t mind slowing things down. I just hope I don’t have too many weeks like that. Anyone else just take a break? Am interested in hearing your stories . . .

Replies

• heardlb
    heardlb Posts: 1
    Options
    Absolutely, I usually feel very guilty about it to. However, it gives me a nice break and when I start back I am more motivated and have more energy
  • misty2ann
    misty2ann Posts: 127
    Options
    Absolutely! What fun is the journey without wandering off of the path every now and then to enjoy the beauty?! As long as you come back to the path and continue on. It's not about striving for perfection, it's about finding what works for you and LOVING it! Good luck!
  • djean2
    djean2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! What fun is the journey without wandering off of the path every now and then to enjoy the beauty?! As long as you come back to the path and continue on. It's not about striving for perfection, it's about finding what works for you and LOVING it! Good luck!
    [/quote

Love that!]
  • Tajdancer
    Tajdancer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the validation. :drinker: I think I'm just getting a wee bit bored with my workouts. Time to mix things up!
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. More often than I should do recently, if I'm honest, but I always come back, this is a long, long journey for me, I need to work it into a lifestyle, and taking breaks will def be a part of that.

Good luck on the rest of your journey :flowerforyou:
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I take a break here and there too. As long as I don't stray for too long, it's all good. Like you said, it's time to shake things up a bit! :drinker:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I take a week off every three months. I still work out, if I feel like it, and I still log everything, but I give myself permission to eat what I want without guilt. I've found that this is most effective if I eat up to, but not over, maintenance calories. This helps me keep my sanity, my motivation to be strict with myself the other 11 weeks and restores my metabolic hormone levels so I don't adapt too well to reduced calories.

Also, if I find my current workouts becoming boring, I change it up. Last year was running. This year I'm doing group classes like zumba and kickboxing. I also had a stretch of elliptical. Just do whatever is necessary to keep yourself having fun and looking forward to the next workout.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal weight, the slower you should be going and the lower your loss expectations should be. I was losing 2-3 lbs per week when I started, now I only lose 0.5-1 lb per week. I'm fine with it as long as I make progress and continue to feel good.

Just be patient. I think what you're doing is great taking a little time off.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just did for the past 4 days. Didnt log at all the last 2 days of that and didnt exercise. But back at it today :) I actually lost 1 lb doing that, very weird how the body works. Guess I just needed a break.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    honestly?
    i think that happened to me last week.... everything fit into my diary but i just couldn't stay away from different ...things.... I am hoping to get back on the road this week though. Really though? I think it is just part of the journey
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    The last time I said I was going to take a week off, it snowballed into 3 months and I gained half my weight back so I'm really leery of taking breaks. I do have a cheat day every Saturday though and that usually gets me through the week.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I did the last 5 days. I still checked in on my friends to support them. I gained 4lbs so not so good. Changed my macros, upped the protein, downed the carbs and I'm back today with a new zest for this! Hoping for a big drop this week! X
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Right now I am doing one month at maintenance and one month at a deficit. It is easier for you to deal with calories restriction if I know it will only last x more days
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Um, yes. And, quite honestly, I think it's healthy and normal. As long as you're able to get back on the path, I think a break now and then can actually help. We're all human.
  • leaso75581
    leaso75581 Posts: 103
    Options
    Every weekend, I don't track. I just enjoy my time with my family. Sometimes, I slack off for an entire week. The "weekends off" motto, doesn't bother me, mainly becaue I weigh-in on Saturdays, but the entire week offf does. I always get back on track, but it has hurt the time frame of my progress. It seems to me, that you're doing OK. Just don't make it a habit, and you'll be fine. We have to remember that this "journey" is a life-long trip. If we limit ourselves too much, we won't stick with it for the duration.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I do.. for a variety of reasons.. things just come up and it's impossible to log or whatever. I feel bad about it later, especially since it takes about a week to undo the damage, but I get back on track and not wallow in it. Last night I went out with a gf and we ended up having beer and pizza. It wasn't even that good, but it is what it is. Today I'm gonna work out hard to make up for it. This is a lifestyle now. I have to accept that these things will happen as part of life... the important thing is to move on and work it off.