Replies

• Devin182
    Devin182 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I slept on it... and I get it now... I was over thinking the whole concept way too much.... Its all about deficit.... It al makes sense to me know, thanks for the input all.

Just one thing...

If my plan is too add lean muscle should I be eating more than my TDEE (eat to build muscle) or will eating my TDEE, including eating any exercise calories back, enough to achieve this. I have no problem with the idea of gaining lean muscle, I just dont want to gain fat, so dont want to eat more than I should. Ya know what i mean?

im thinking eating my TDEE, including all macros, and strength training 3 times a week, and cardio 3 times a week, and see how it goes and adjust from there.

Again thanks for the info guys!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dana8121
    dana8121 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!! (my first bump ever, too ;)
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Mr bump :huh:
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I slept on it... and I get it now... I was over thinking the whole concept way too much.... Its all about deficit.... It al makes sense to me know, thanks for the input all.

Just one thing...

If my plan is too add lean muscle should I be eating more than my TDEE (eat to build muscle) or will eating my TDEE, including eating any exercise calories back, enough to achieve this. I have no problem with the idea of gaining lean muscle, I just dont want to gain fat, so dont want to eat more than I should. Ya know what i mean?

im thinking eating my TDEE, including all macros, and strength training 3 times a week, and cardio 3 times a week, and see how it goes and adjust from there.
    :heart:

for that kind of info send Dan a personal message
    he is working on bulking up to build lean muscle mass now
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.
  • Fridaydalek
    Fridaydalek Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP, useful info.
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    Love and agree with everything you posted, OP, except the macronutrients. 0.7-1 g protein for every pound of lean body mass, 50-100 g of carbs per day (whatever that percentage is for you. For me, it's about 15%), and healthy fat to make up the rest.

Thank you for posting this for people who really need to see it!
  • KateB1982
    KateB1982 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    Very, very informative! I was wondering if you are a personal trainer or a nutritionist. Even if you are self-taught, good stuff! I am within a healthy weight and I work out 5 or 6 times a week. Plus, I have an active job and lifestyle. I will be 56 in a month. Though I am not overweight, I am not the weight I like the best. I would like to lose 5 pounds. So, I learned two things from your post: 1. I don't think I am eating enough to lose weight. 2. I should invest in an BMR calculator. Thanks for taking the time to post.
  • dlynnkind
    dlynnkind Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • wlgreen379
    wlgreen379 Posts: 104
    Options
    bump
  • abuglion
    abuglion Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good Info! Looks like I need to do some reassessing!
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Hi dan,

Great post thanks!

I already pretty much use this style of working out cals rather than mfps eat back exercise, but wanted to check ive worked it out right!!!
    I just have a quick question:
    My bmr is 1587 / body fat 40.4 which gives me 1715 sedentary, 1965 lightly active, 2215 as mod active.
    I have a desk job and exercise 4-5 times a week. Exercise is light only due to knee injury so I currently eat at lightly active level of around 1950 and net around 1650.

Maybe I'm just being dumb, but according to the chart the mod active level includes daily activity and workouts, so when you say to add 20% to this number, what is that for?

20 % added to that number is your TDEE. It is the number you should never eat above or you will gain.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Dumb question but maybe someone can help.

My Katch Mcardle is 1794. The TDEE at that level is 2152.

I have a sedentary life style due to work and location. No real exercise save for climbing stairs and walking around the office. The BMR for that is 2126 and the TDEE at that level is 2551,

From what I understand (and correct me if i am wrong) I am supposed to eat between my BMR and my TDEE correct?

If that is the case which two of the numbers do I work with?

Do I eat between 1794 and 2152.
    Or do I eat between 2126 and 2551?

Katch McArdle IS your BMR. The 2126 (IF you got that off the chart below where it says "How Many Calories Should I Eat") is the number of calories you should eat for a sedentary lifestyle. TDEE is the number of calories you should never go above. BMR/Katch McArdle is the number you should never go below. 2126 is your target. Don't net less than 1794 and don't go above 2551.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Really helpful stuff- bump!