Too Old for Stroller?

Options
tfancey
tfancey Posts: 96 Member
Alright, question of the day from me...
Three year old boy, he's an average size little guy and weighs about 30lbs.
He's more than capable of walking small distances but still asks for his stroller if we're going for a longer walk... we have a little umbrella stroller now. Sooo I want to buy a second hand stroller ( this one, with the replacement big wheels: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=12426550 ) for the SUMMER. I will be walking him to the babysitters (1.5km) every day so I want something a little more sturdy than the umbrella stroller that we use for the mall.
I don't think he's too old for it but some people have "expressed that opinion"... Thoughts?

Replies

• Ireshgurl
    Ireshgurl Posts: 559
    Options
    IMO, 3 years old is not too old for a stroller, esp if you're trying to get somewhere in a timely fashion. Though little kids may be able to walk at that age, they tend to toddle along at their own pace. If you were going for a Sunday stroll or something sure... but kids get tired and lose interest quick. Hell, there's a couple that comes into the store I work at with their kid in a stroller and she's got to be atleast 4 or older. She barely fits into the thing! Do what works for you and don't worry about what other people think, because they don't even know why you're doing it.
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    My twins were in a stroller until well after their 3rd birthday....maybe even after their 4th. As long as they still fit in the stroller, do what works for you. Plain and simple. I used the stroller because it made my life easier with twins. And I took that thing EVERYWHERE!! At the grocery store, I pushed the stroller with one hand and pulled the cart with the other hand. Do what works best for you. :flowerforyou:
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    3 is fine but once they get into kindergarten take him out or upgrade to a wagon. Kids can be cruel and make fun of others fro being different.
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Options
    My son is turning 4 at the end of month. He still likes to ride in the stroller. I encourage the stroller! Great workout for you, too.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    All I know is I'm too old for a stroller. People judge. :angry:
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I used my BOB revolution with my son until almost his fourth birthday when I wanted to go out for longer than 2k.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Definitely not...especially if you're walking longer distances or need to be somewhere on time. I just bought a double jogging stroller this week for my twins, who will be 4 in August. I had gotten rid of all strollers sometime early last year since they're old enough to go to the mall (for example) without being in a stroller. But, for the sake of my exercise, I bought one so that they can go with me when I'm exercising. If I had to walk with them somewhere every day, especially at a distance of .5-1 mile or so, I'd want a stroller. For sure.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I used to look at people who would put their 4 - 5 year old in a stroller like "come on, seriously?". Now that I have a 4 year old I GET IT. It makes things so much easier if you're out for a long trip to the mall, amusement park, etc. Kids little legs get tired easy and look to their parents to get carried after an hour or so. I get weird looks sometimes but have learned not to pay attention. So IMO stroller is ok as long as they fit in it lol
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When we take long walks, my 4 1/2 year old and my 1 1/2 year old will still ride on our sit and stand stroller. But if we are going to go too far, then I take my 1 1/2 yr old in my umbrella stroller and make my older one walk, ride her scooter or ride her bike. She tires out easily still for being 4 1/2 though.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 3.5. Average size. I haven't used a stroller for her since she before she turned 3. I walk ridiculously fast, so I have to slow down fo her, but she walks faster than most people.

About two months back she walked a trail with me that was 2.5 miles up and down a "mountain" here in upstate NY. Taking that trail was her idea and I did warn her that it was going to be a long walk, and by the end she wanted carriied, but was a trooper and finished it.

As we got to the car she looked up, "Daddy? Can we not come back here?"

"Too much walking, honey?"

She gave me a look like I was brain damaged and shook her head, "Uh, yeah."

Just this weekend when we went to the grocery store and they have these little carts for kids. She wanted one and since we didn't have much to get, I let her and she was was great about keeping up with me as we ran all over the store.

It's presonal preference, I think. I see kids her age all the time in strollers at the mall and mine is walking.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old daughter hasn't been a stroller since she turned 2. Once she started walking decently, ther was NO way she was going in them. So I got rid of our's. Plus we have our wagon, so that's enough. If I know where going somewhere that she'll tire out (like the zoo) we'll just rent a stroller for the day.
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think so at all. My DD is 3.5 and I still cart a stroller around in my car. If we are out for a long day of shopping or taking a long walk she just gets tired and needs a break and I won't hold her for that long. It makes for a more enjoyable day or evening for all.
  • EmmaR84
    EmmaR84 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on each child, my daughter is now 3 and she hated being in the pushchair (stroller) from a very young age and preferred to walk from about 9 months. (She was 10 weeks premature so small for her age but liekd to copy her older brother) by the time she was 18 months we got rid of the stroller just because she hated it so much.
    Some days when I was in a rush I would have loved the stroller back (especially to help carry shopping!) but for us this was easier.
    (It was funny though with peoples reactions of a child the size of the average 3-6 month old walking about with a wrist strap/reins)

If she wasn't so headstrong I think I would have continued to use it until she was at least 2 1/2 but I see children at her nursery older than her who still go in the stroller.

If yuor son is happy to walk and just wants a rest on longer journeys let him. If you want to phase it out then take the pushchair on longer walks and encourage him to walk a slightly longer distance each time before he gets back in the stroller.
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    what about a scooter/bike? a little fold up push along scooter/bike thingy called a scuttlebug looks awesome! My kids were too big for them when they came out, but they would have been great for the walk to daycare or the bus stop!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    All I know is I'm too old for a stroller. People judge. :angry:
    yhst-13787673511982_2200_9567651.jpg
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    3 years old in a stroller is totally acceptable. Especially because you are trying to get somewhere on time! If you're going to a park or something it's good to have it on hand but expect him to walk some so that he learns he will have to eventually. My son will be 6 tomorrow and he probably stopped using a stroller when he was between 4 and 5. I was just thinking the other day about when we go to Disneyland...their strollers hold kids up to 80 pounds! Part of me is saying, ok do we get one because that place is just huge or do we expect him to start learning how to walk it because honestly he's skinny, but when he's 10 do I want to be pushing his lazy rear around Disneyland all day?
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    I think it's a matter of personal preference. Who cares what anyone thinks? My kids really didn't want the stroller after age 2, and I had to fight to keep the first 2 in before that. But we are a very active family and I started them hiking and canoeing before they were 3 and they were all go, go, go!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you are using it for an outdoor walk, take a look at wagons. We have one where the seats flip up and there are seat belts and everything. At this age, you will probably get a lot more use out of it than a stroller. I wouldn't try to get a 3 year old to walk that distance either. It would take about 4 hours.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Most people don't realize that for every step we adults take, our little ones have to take two or three steps. I don't see anything wrong with a 3-year-old being in a stroller, especially for longer walks, or long days filled with multiple short stops. They get tired, they can nap in a stroller, and it really isn't anyone else's business. Every child is different. You know yours better than anyone.